General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by banuthev View Post
    Is M9 (866) back on service ? i saw picture somewhere with a new paint. How many M9s are on service in Sri Lanka?
    Yes 866 is back on service. At least test runs. They have installed a new control system from India called "Medha" based on Windows 7 embedded version. I have no idea about exact numbers. But there are only a few working, may be 3 or 4. I've seen 872 is working. Heard 867 is going to be renovated next (Or already done).

Comment

Originally posted by nipuna787 View Post
      Yes 866 is back on service. At least test runs. They have installed a new control system from India called "Medha" based on Windows 7 embedded version. I have no idea about exact numbers. But there are only a few working, may be 3 or 4. I've seen 872 is working. Heard 867 is going to be renovated next (Or already done).
      Good to hear this. What sort of renovation these M9s going to get? Any possibility they can get re-work on the engine to increase the hose power?

Comment

Well, there are many rumours about these newcomers. Another most talked rumour is SLR is going to have GE locos (most probably made in India - according to Railway Gazette GE is going to have a plant in India) similar to GE CM20-EMP in Indonesian Railway with 7FDL engine. Then there's a rumour that SLR is going to have another batch of DMU sets similar to Class S12 from China. Then this pure Indian locos, coaches and DMUs you stated. Rumours say there are some leftovers of Indian credit line for SLR.

Only thing we can do is hope for the best, which is usually not happening.

From the past experience, Chinese DMUs (Class S12) are performing nicely. They are the most efficient and well performing work-horse by now.

These GE locos are going to be high tech locos like Class M9, if they are coming at all. These high tech locos like Class M9 were not handled the way they should be in the SLR. That was the cause for the fate of Class M9. But gradually they are becoming familiar with computer controlled locomotives it seems. Let's see how do they deal with the latest renovations on the Class M9 locomotives.

Finally Indian locomotives, coaches and DMUs. Well, they do their job. Class M8 is the most powerful locomotive the SLR has. But there are serious concerns about their efficiency, durability and quality. With heavy diplomatic pressure from India they still run. Coaches are the same. They are not comfortable as decades old Romanian coaches even now. Same concerns are there for DMUs as for Indian locomotives. Class S11 is performing quite better than M8 and M10 in efficiency. It's much comfortable for passengers too. But again there are many issues in safety, durability and quality.
        Is M4 still in service?
        What is the need for more locos and DMUs? Are the old ones going to be retired?
        I feel that SL better invest on better train-coaches. I really hate the appearance of Romanian built Astras. I think its very weak. SL have to get more coaches from India. So most of the long distances trainss could haul with at least 12 carriages.

Cheers

Comment

Good to hear this. What sort of renovation these M9s going to get? Any possibility they can get re-work on the engine to increase the hose power?
          Well, Class M9 is said to be already de-rated to 1800 hp and max power is 3200 hp. Still it can haul fair number of coaches with this power. Stations in SL can barely accommodate a train that has beyond 15-16 coaches. So in my opinion there won't be a power increment. What they do is simply replacing the control system with a new one. More details haven't been out yet.

Original system was giving troubles when running in SL environment. As the solution what people at SLR did was, removing sensors one by one. Then the whole system went unreliable. I don't know what they've done this time, other than the OS replacement. Will let you know once anything is out.

This group is a good source of information: yakadayaka/ Have a look at it if you like.

Comment

Is M4 still in service?
            What is the need for more locos and DMUs? Are the old ones going to be retired?
            I feel that SL better invest on better train-coaches. I really hate the appearance of Romanian built Astras. I think its very weak. SL have to get more coaches from India. So most of the long distances trainss could haul with at least 12 carriages.

Cheers
            All the locos in M4 fleet is still in service.

Well I don't see a critical requirement of retiring old fleets. But we need more reliable locos and DMUs like S12. Failure rate of old fleets are getting high. And there's a loco shortage too. Commissions factor and diplomatic pressure are also playing major role in these purchases too.

Yes I agree SLR should focus on passenger comfort by deploying better coaches. But I don't see Indian coaches are an option. We experience the bad quality of those Indian products on daily basis. And I agree the time is up for Astra coaches, but I can assure you they are still strong even after 30 years of service. And almost all long distance trains already are running with 10-12 coaches except for upcountry line. More than 12 would be a no go as I mentioned earlier stations barely accommodate bigger trains except for Coastal and Northern lines.

Comment

Well, Class M9 is said to be already de-rated to 1800 hp and max power is 3200 hp. Still it can haul fair number of coaches with this power. Stations in SL can barely accommodate a train that has beyond 15-16 coaches. So in my opinion there won't be a power increment. What they do is simply replacing the control system with a new one. More details haven't been out yet.

Original system was giving troubles when running in SL environment. As the solution what people at SLR did was, removing sensors one by one. Then the whole system went unreliable. I don't know what they've done this time, other than the OS replacement. Will let you know once anything is out.

This group is a good source of information: yakadayaka/ Have a look at it if you like.
              Thank you Nipuna. It will be much appreciated if you keep us informed about the updates on SLR.

SL Gov has received 318$ from India for developing the Sri Lanka Railways. Do you know what sort of development SL gov would like to make on SLR? I wish they refurbish all the old railway tracks, railway stations, signals and coaches.

Comment

Thank you Nipuna. It will be much appreciated if you keep us informed about the updates on SLR.

SL Gov has received 318$ from India for developing the Sri Lanka Railways. Do you know what sort of development SL gov would like to make on SLR? I wish they refurbish all the old railway tracks, railway stations, signals and coaches.

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/article/10...lanka-railways
                As far as I know Indian credit line is only for early mentioned rolling stock purchases and MHO to ANP track re-layering

Comment

As far as I know Indian credit line is only for early mentioned rolling stock purchases and MHO to ANP track re-layering
                  10 x DLWs and 6 x DMUs are joining the fleet next year.

According to below source, these locos and DMUs will be under construction. Not sure its true. But I also heard that India trying to retire the ageing Diesel locos so they may off load them to other nations.

Have you travelled on above Chinese built carriages? What do you think about them? It looks prity nice and better looking than Astra carriages.

Comment

Well, there are many rumours about these newcomers. Another most talked rumour is SLR is going to have GE locos (most probably made in India - according to Railway Gazette GE is going to have a plant in India) similar to GE CM20-EMP in Indonesian Railway with 7FDL engine. Then there's a rumour that SLR is going to have another batch of DMU sets similar to Class S12 from China. Then this pure Indian locos, coaches and DMUs you stated. Rumours say there are some leftovers of Indian credit line for SLR.

Only thing we can do is hope for the best, which is usually not happening.

From the past experience, Chinese DMUs (Class S12) are performing nicely. They are the most efficient and well performing work-horse by now.

These GE locos are going to be high tech locos like Class M9, if they are coming at all. These high tech locos like Class M9 were not handled the way they should be in the SLR. That was the cause for the fate of Class M9. But gradually they are becoming familiar with computer controlled locomotives it seems. Let's see how do they deal with the latest renovations on the Class M9 locomotives.

Finally Indian locomotives, coaches and DMUs. Well, they do their job. Class M8 is the most powerful locomotive the SLR has. But there are serious concerns about their efficiency, durability and quality. With heavy diplomatic pressure from India they still run. Coaches are the same. They are not comfortable as decades old Romanian coaches even now. Same concerns are there for DMUs as for Indian locomotives. Class S11 is performing quite better than M8 and M10 in efficiency. It's much comfortable for passengers too. But again there are many issues in safety, durability and quality.
                    Welcome to our Forum !
                    Do you work for SL Railways?

Comment

News

Proposed project to use MagLev line linking Negombo, BIA, Bopitiya, Ragama, Kettarama, Fort, Port City and Kollupitiya railway station.

Read more: http://www.ft.lk/article/622332/Part...opment-project

Comment

10 x DLWs and 6 x DMUs are joining the fleet next year.

According to below source, these locos and DMUs will be under construction. Not sure its true. But I also heard that India trying to retire the ageing Diesel locos so they may off load them to other nations.

Have you travelled on above Chinese built carriages? What do you think about them? It looks prity nice and better looking than Astra carriages.
                        Yes, Those are the rolling stock above mentioned. They will definitely come. You know the Indian influence here.

These Chinese coaches are the worst. They are super uncomfortable and so noisy. Those windows are too small to have a good view too. They have some brakes issue too. Hence only runs on flat lines.

Only the exterior appearance is good. And need to mention, the reliably and product quality is also better.

Comment

Originally posted by Serendib View Post
                          Welcome to our Forum !
                          Do you work for SL Railways?

News

Proposed project to use MagLev line linking Negombo, BIA, Bopitiya, Ragama, Kettarama, Fort, Port City and Kollupitiya railway station.

Read more: http://www.ft.lk/article/622332/Part...opment-project
                          Thanks alot Serendib No, I'm not working for SLR. I'm just a railway enthusiast.

MagLev in Sri Lanka? What a total idiotic move. Who maintains it? Who pays to build it? What's the requirement to have a MagLev in Colombo suburbs rather a conventional metro? I don't know who gives these people those ideas. Commissions commissions everywhere commissions... God bless Sri Lanka...
                          Last edited by nipuna787; 24-06-2017, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Yes, Those are the rolling stock above mentioned. They will definitely come. You know the Indian influence here.

These Chinese coaches are the worst. They are super uncomfortable and so noisy. Those windows are too small to have a good view too. They have some brakes issue too. Hence only runs on flat lines.

Only the exterior appearance is good. And need to mention, the reliably and product quality is also better.
                            I was always wondering does these Chinese built carriages are not being used for Kandy services. Your explanation have cleared my doubt.

Its indeed a noisy carriages.

Source : Janagan

Comment

Thanks alot Serendib No, I'm not working for SLR. I'm just a railway enthusiast.

MagLev in Sri Lanka? What a total idiotic move. Who maintains it? Who pays to build it? What's the requirement to have a MagLev in Colombo suburbs rather a conventional metro? I don't know who gives these people those ideas. Commissions commissions everywhere commissions... God bless Sri Lanka...
                              I agree with you.

Any update on Fort-Colombo Airport express service as mentioned in this url? http://archives.dailynews.lk/2012/06/08/bus01.asp

Comment

Gents,

I took the below picture of Class 390 Pendolino near Atherstone Railway Station, England. Type EMU is hauling to London from Glasgow Central.

Atherstone Train Station - 00001

Comment

Working...
                                X