No announcement yet.

General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Class 390 Pendolino is a type of electric high-speed train operated by Virgin Trains in the United Kingdom. They are electric multiple units using Fiat Ferroviaria's tilting train Pendolino technology and built by Alstom. Alstom is the same manufacturer of Sri Lanka's Class M9 locos.

I hope you like my video.

more to come from the different spots

Comment

Originally posted by nipuna787 View Post
      Thanks alot Serendib No, I'm not working for SLR. I'm just a railway enthusiast.

MagLev in Sri Lanka? What a total idiotic move. Who maintains it? Who pays to build it? What's the requirement to have a MagLev in Colombo suburbs rather a conventional metro? I don't know who gives these people those ideas. Commissions commissions everywhere commissions... God bless Sri Lanka...
      SL gov has to focus on improving the standards of railway stations, railways tracks, carriages etc.. instead of wasting money on white-elephant projects like Maglev. SLR needs new railway tracks and better quality of train carriages through out the country.

Comment

Originally posted by banuthev View Post
        SL gov has to focus on improving the standards of railway stations, railways tracks, carriages etc.. instead of wasting money on white-elephant projects like Maglev. SLR needs new railway tracks and better quality of train carriages through out the country.
        Indeed, i think it's time to renovate the upcountry track. with current status, it's limiting operating heavy locos, if i remember correct, M9s were imported to operated on upcountry track. poor quality tracks prevented using of them. they were operated previously up to Nawalapitiya.

Comment

Originally posted by ruslan047910 View Post
          Indeed, i think it's time to renovate the upcountry track. with current status, it's limiting operating heavy locos, if i remember correct, M9s were imported to operated on upcountry track. poor quality tracks prevented using of them. they were operated previously up to Nawalapitiya.
          I think Udarata Menike, Podi Menike, Tikiri Menike and Senkadagala Menike are currently hauled by Class W1, W3, S12 and M5. S12 is also being used upto Matale and Badulla once daily service.

There are concrete ballasted rail tracks near Kadugannawa Train Station (see below picture) but most of the other rail tracks at the upcountry are with old style wooden sleepers.

Please correct me if i am wrong

Where SLR does use the M9 then ?
          Attached Files

Comment

Jeez! what happened???

The engine of Udarata Manike train plying from Colombo Fort to Badulla got detached from carriages near the Singimale tunnel in Hatton this afternoon

බදුල්ල බලා ධාවනය වූ උඩරට මැණිකේ දුම්රියෙහි එන්ජිම ගැලවෙයි (ඡායාරූප). Most visited website in Sri Lanka.
            Last edited by Serendib; 25-06-2017, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by banuthev View Post
              The Class 390 Pendolino is a type of electric high-speed train operated by Virgin Trains in the United Kingdom. They are electric multiple units using Fiat Ferroviaria's tilting train Pendolino technology and built by Alstom. Alstom is the same manufacturer of Sri Lanka's Class M9 locos.

I hope you like my video.

more to come from the different spots
              Superb video, and that's such a great speed!
              Haleef Ismail
              www.youtube.com/haleef1 | www.instagram.com/cmb_spotter

Comment

Indian Varanasi DLW, Class M8 842 and Hitachi Class M5c 775 hauling #51 to Colombo from Matara.

Haleef Ismail

Comment

Here's my playlist of all the Cab-Ride videos that I've filmed with the Sri Lankan Railway.

Haleef Ismail

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
                    I was always wondering does these Chinese built carriages are not being used for Kandy services. Your explanation have cleared my doubt.

Its indeed a noisy carriages.

Source : Janagan
                    Rolling stock equipped with air brakes are not suitable for operations in hill terrain due to some short comings, they cannot remain stationary on inclined surfaces. So the Romanian Astra compartments with vacuum brakes are used in this line. Although there is one exception in the case of class S12 which also uses air brakes, although this type uses a brake designed and built by a German company known as Knorr&bremse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mach3 View Post
                      Rolling stock equipped with air brakes are not suitable for operations in hill terrain due to some short comings, they cannot remain stationary on inclined surfaces. So the Romanian Astra compartments with vacuum brakes are used in this line. Although there is one exception in the case of class S12 which also uses air brakes, although this type uses a brake designed and built by a German company known as Knorr&bremse.
                      That's really informative. Thank you. It's good to hear the advantages of Astra carriages.

It will be better if SLR paint the exterior and refurbish the interiors of Astra carriages. Most of the Astra carriages looks pathetic with a faded exterior paint.

What do you think ?

Comment

• Gents,

Please find the list of long distance trains departing from Colombo Fort.

Hope you find it useful.

Source : SLR
                        Attached Files

Comment

• A piece of history. National railway museum

Comment

• Udarata Manike -Towards Kandy (Class S12)

Comment

• Hi SLD,

Welcome to our Forum.

I can't see your pictures.

Here are the steps to attach images on our forum post :

1 - Click on Reply to thread
                              2 - Click on Go advanced
                              3 - Click on Insert attachments
                              4 - Upload the files from your computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X