Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^^ Well, right. Madurai is different from both airports correct. But in a different way, achieving 5.1 Lakhs passenger a FY without being given a chance to prove International performance shows the greatness of Madurai and the demand.

Moreover, Madurai's international terminal was built with a scope of handling 500 Pax at a time (AAI people are sane persons who studied the market well).

Apart from this, Mihin is not obliging to just requests or politics. I am sure they would not have thought of entering Madurai market unless the market studies revealed good results. (I remind you it is going to be business not a service).

Why did SG apply for Madurai to operate Colombo and why did they reduce capacity from a Boeing to a Q400 once they got flying rights in IXM-CMB section? Doesn't this atleast make sense?

Don't just make useless ranting and cribbing here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scoot View Post
      Don't see madurai. Only trichy&chennai from TN state. Is it trichy&madurai same? Well, good luck to mihin on their inaugural service to madurai, which is same as trichy location.
      UL & MJ expected to codeshare IXM

Comment

• Originally posted by SSCMK View Post
        SG has also got DGCA clearance from Indian DGCA, anytime they may announce schedule or open bookings So, we need to wait and watch the game.
        SG got the approval from Sri Lanka Authorities to fly IXM-CMB ?

Originally posted by Max View Post
        UL & MJ expected to codeshare IXM
        UL & MJ should increase it's presence in India.

Comment

• Originally posted by Banuthev View Post
          SG got the approval from Sri Lanka Authorities to fly IXM-CMB ?
          Yes, they got the DGCA clearance (of operating slots in IXM). So, the SriLankan side formalities are already over (If CMB airport authorities are here, please let us know the rumored timings).

We may get SG before Mihin kicks off!

We are hoping for SG to operate CMB in morning slot (i.e 0700 hrs to 0800 hrs departure from CMB) to serve as connection to inbound Middle east flights @ CMB. Since we have the timings of MJ, we think this schedule of SG will work nicely giving around 10000 seats in international to/fro CMB from IXM (Debut international flights with 10000 seats per month is something awesome!!!)

My guess SG may operate like MAA-CMB-IXM-CMB-MAA or MAA-IXM-CMB-CMB-IXM-MAA. We need to wait and watch the battle!!

Comment

...Don't just make useless ranting and cribbing here.
            For argument sake .. let me ask this ..

UL has been running flights to TRZ and at times, there was two flights a day, UL and IC, and that has been like .. for a looooong time

And I remember the days when in early 80's when offloading passengers was common, in the CMB-TRZ route, compared to never being offloaded on CMB-MAA route .. even though both were operating B737s and and IC was sub'ing A320s, before UL switched to an all Airbus Fleet.

Now, if it was commercially viable, why didn't UL jump in to service IXM ?

And you take connections from Singapore and KUL, do they fly to TRZ or IXM ?

People being eager doesn't translate to revenue.

If so, for a start, did even IC even consider running IXM ?

I understand that people of Madurai are very eager and stressed out wanting to see an international flight operating out of IXM, but, then again, as the business world goes "show me the money"

If there was enough traffic, by now, one of the many enterprising travel agents would have jumped in on a gray area charter op, and would have minted money ..

After all, go look up how Jet Airways started .. they saw the potential and used a gray area op to build up the network ..

Comment

• Originally posted by ecureilx
              For argument sake .. let me ask this ..

UL has been running flights to TRZ and at times, there was two flights a day, and sometime next to each other, for UL and IC, and that has been like .. for a looooong time .. ask any UL folks, or even IC folks, they will tell you the time when the plane had to be held on tarmac, while the previous flight was cleared before they can bring in the next flight .. disorganised but the two operators did stick with the flights ..

And I remember the days when in early 80's when offloading passengers was common, in the CMB-TRZ route, compared to never being offloaded on CMB-MAA route .. even though both were operating B737s and and IC was sub'ing A320s, before UL switched to an all Airbus Fleet.

I understand that people of Madurai are very eager and stressed out wanting to see an international flight operating out of IXM, but, then again, as the business world goes "show me the money"

If there was enough traffic, by now, one of the many enterprising travel agents would have jumped in on a gray area charter op, and would have minted money ..

After all, go look up how Jet Airways started .. they saw the potential and used a gray area op to build up the network ..
              Ecurelix, known fact is UL had presence in TRZ and when our guys asked for that to IXM, we knew that they won't come (because they have a strong presence there). UL may have to recruit staffs for another airport that is 140 kms from TRZ.

But, shifting MJ was a real safe at the same time, a viable option.

When you didn't bowl even a single ball to a man and see how he performs, how could you decide that he is a bad batsman? When IXM was given chances to prove its potential to fly to Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Chennai, it shimmered. Why not give a chance to CMB also and see how it performs and then to decide if it should continue or not. Have you visited the facebook page on IXM? Could you see the joy among the people there on hearing Mihin's schedule? Doesn't that tell you how the flight is going to be received by the patrons?

And coming to the charter part, when aviation scenario of Madurai is concerned, big politics are surrounding us and build a big obstacle to connect us to the world. Such things are not easy in India, we don't have much of political support too.

And the IC part, IC is even today running the old flight of 1990s (Madurai-Chennai-Mumbai route), they didn't expand at all from Madurai. IC always use to leave us crying babies.

Am I expected to answer more?

Comment

• Originally posted by ecureilx View Post

Let me ask this. If Srilankan Airlines is struggling financially does that mean Colombo(it's hub) is not having potential or not attracting enough passengers.Do you say this? Don't say because of politics UL didn't prosper, If that is the case same logic applicable to IXM too. We have not been allowed to prosper in international sectors because of same politics only. When ever airlines showed interest to operate international fights out of Madurai it was dealt with in the very earlier stage itself to make sure it will not progress further and at the same time somebody is enojoying IXM benefits.

Madurai airport catchment area includes 9 southern districts and IXM is the hub of southern tamilnadu. Now someone is enjoying our benefits and claiming superiority. We should give equal playing fields for both the parties to come to conclusion.

Hope this is clear.

Comment

• Open Aviation Debate

Let me ask this. If Srilankan Airlines is struggling financially does that mean Colombo(it's hub) is not having potential or not attracting enough passengers.Do you say this? Don't say because of politics UL didn't prosper, If that is the case same logic applicable to IXM too. We have not been allowed to prosper in international sectors because of same politics only. When ever airlines showed interest to operate international fights out of Madurai it was dealt with in the very earlier stage itself to make sure it will not progress further and at the same time somebody is enojoying IXM benefits.

Madurai airport catchment area includes 9 southern districts and IXM is the hub of southern tamilnadu. Now someone is enjoying our benefits and claiming superiority. We should give equal playing fields for both the parties to come to conclusion.

Hope this is clear.

Comment

• Hey guys, I welcome you all to our Madurai forum : www.allaboutmadurai.com

and post SL attractions in this thread : http://www.allaboutmadurai.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=105

and encourage the guys to fly to Colombo on a tour. The topic was created to share information and photos/videos of Colombo (similar to 'Country Branding' here).

Cheers!!
                    Last edited by SSCMK; 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SSCMadurai View Post
                      Let me ask this. If Srilankan Airlines is struggling financially does that mean Colombo(it's hub) is not having potential or not attracting enough passengers.
                      The problem is like this:

The Government does not allow other airlines to operate fully in SL.

This is to "preserve the national carrier", routes done by UL are not allowed by other airlines e.g. Colombo-London direct route is only allowed to be operated by UL.

This way there is a guaranteed passenger intake/flights for UL.

It's utterly stupid. Because of this useless decision to "preserve the national carrier", so few airlines fly to SL, they are actively discouraged to use it as a hub/transit centre. As a result less planes, less passengers, less revenue, less potential tourists, and thus less growth overall for the airport and the country.

It also means UL can "play hell" because they run a monopoloy.

It also means that when UL is poorly managed, money is wasted due to corruption (courtesy of the Government interference) and UL loses whatever profits it has, the Government honcho's know they can still rake in some money because they have a "cool" monopoly on the routes. There are always people who want to do the e.g. Colombo-London direct and only UL is allowed it, so some how some cash flows in from passengers.

Its short sighted, its foul and its disgusting.

Other airlines who have tried to set up shop in Colombo are left with bad tastes in their mouths because Government worthies want bribes or as described above want to keep this monopoly and tell them to buggar off.

Back in the early 90s then again in the early 2000s Richard Branson wanted to set Colombo up as a hub for Virgin in the region to connect with India, ME and the Far East. But true to form “protecting the national carrier” was more important.

Comment

Let me ask this. If Srilankan Airlines is struggling financially does that mean Colombo(it's hub) is not having potential or not attracting enough passengers.

This is to "preserve the national carrier", routes done by UL are not allowed by other airlines e.g. Colombo-London direct route is only allowed to be operated by UL.

It's utterly stupid. Because of this useless decision to "preserve the national carrier", so few airlines fly to SL, they are actively discouraged to use it as a hub/transit centre. As a result less planes, less passengers, less revenue, less potential tourists, and thus less growth overall for the airport and the country.

It also means that when UL is poorly managed, money is wasted due to corruption (courtesy of the Government interference) and UL loses whatever profits it has, the Government honcho's know they can still rake in some money because they have a "cool" monopoly on the routes. There are always people who want to do the e.g. Colombo-London direct and only UL is allowed it, so some how some cash flows in from passengers.

Other airlines who have tried to set up shop in Colombo are left with bad tastes in their mouths because Government worthies want bribes or as described above want to keep this monopoly and tell them to buggar off.

Back in the early 90s then again in the early 2000s Richard Branson wanted to set Colombo up as a hub for Virgin in the region to connect with India, ME and the Far East. But true to form “protecting the national carrier” was more important.

Comment

Aviation industry profit forecasts lowered due to rising oil prices

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) expects the aviation industry worldwide to turn a profit of 3 billion U.S. dollars this year, a decrease of 500 million U.S. dollars from its earlier forecast in December primarily driven by the rising oil prices, the association announced Tuesday.

IATA expects the average price of oil will be up to 115 U.S. dollars per barrel in 2012, up from the previous forecast of 99 U.S. dollars.

Qantas Slumps To Record Low On 91% Profit Drop Forecast

Qantas Airways Ltd. Australia’s largest carrier, plunged to a record low in Sydney trading after saying annual profit may fall as much as 91 percent because of losses on overseas routes and higher fuel costs.

Fuel costs will probably rise to a record A$4.4 billion in the current fiscal year, the airline said. Jet fuel has averaged $127.50 a barrel in Singapore trading since June 30, 19 percent higher than a year earlier.

Comment

And coming to the charter part, when aviation scenario of Madurai is concerned, big politics are surrounding us and build a big obstacle to connect us to the world. Such things are not easy in India, we don't have much of political support too.
                            You are missing the point ..

a million people saying "we like" vs, say, a thousand guys placing commitment .. money speaks, the former looks nice, but the latter - well, it is business

My contention was simple - Madurai was never seen as a money spinner, if not, forget IC/UL - IT or somebody should have jumped in long ago.. didn't happen right ?

Airlines run to make money, not to throw a bone and see what happens .. especially if there is no quantifiable foreseen business.

And then about your politics, well, forget politics, if there was really that much trade, well, any of the enterprising Travel operators would have jumped in head long .. and exploited all possible loopholes, and minted money ... if you insist otherwise, no comments ...

Do you know how some of the Travel operators are running packages from IXM to Singapore ? you will be blown away, if at all you knew it .. it is all about finding the 'gap' .. and a lot are doing it, but not enough numbers to make it worth .. says me ..

Comment

• ^^ Everything has got close to fruition, I could be wrong. Why don't lets wait to watch?

Comment

• Originally posted by Praetorian View Post

My friend I am afraid your argument is entirely false. Cannot recall a single foreign airline that has been denied recently. In fact it is quitr the opposite to what you said - the competition from other airlines have driven down the prices to unsustainable levels in most markets that no airline is making money.
                                The opinions above are solely my own and do not reflect those of my employer or clients

Comment

Working...
                                X