This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sakith View Post
    only ADF and ALJ got new screens for economy . but ALG got a way different IFE.
    Thanks for sharing Sakith, and thanks a great deal for all those pictures you supply

Whats ALG got thats different in terms of IFE?

Are they going to upgrade economy inflight for all the A330s + ADE & ADG??

Comment

• Originally posted by Praetorian View Post
      Are they going to upgrade economy inflight for all the A330s + ADE & ADG??
      no idea yet...

Comment

• ‎4R-ALJ TO kuwaiT TODAY 1800HRS

Comment

• ALL NEW 4R-ALJ
          These photoes are taken on newest addition to UL fleet A-330-200 aircraft which was bought without seats and re configured by UL engineering to 18J/256Y as two class seating config.. But this flight will not be able to operate EUROPE destinations because this aircraft does not contain a mid galley. there are only two galleys in the front of the aircraft and the other in the rear. All business class seats are lie flat beds and economy seats have their own INFLIGHT entertainment systems with touch screens and USB facility.

Comment

• Thank you so much for the picture Sakith.

Awesome stuff. Much appreciated!

Will ALJ be able to do the East Asia routes?

Those flat beds look very inticing and will attract a lot of customers. How many can a A340 hold?
            Last edited by Praetorian; 05-08-2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• Well here's something interesting. At least they've got an aim. But why Mihin too? SL would be better off without it.

==========================

SriLankan, Mihin aim to be best in Asia
              by Ranil WIJAYAPALA

The Government has shown its commitment not only for the continuity but also the expansion and sustenance of SriLankan Airlines and Mihin Airlines, in achieving its national objectives as it earmarks the development of the tourism industry and the creation of a regional hub in Sri Lanka in its vision for future prosperity, Chairman SriLankan Airlines Nishantha Wickremasinghe said.

Addressing media personnel in Negombo last week, the SriLankan Airlines Chairman said SriLankan and Mihin operate amidst many challenges with the goal to be the best in Asia.

He said with the five-year business plan initiated and implemented by SriLankan and Mihin with re-capitalisation by the Government with equity of US$ 500 million over a five-year period, they will be in a position to enhance their profitability and strengthen the net assets in the near future.

Wickremasinghe said the five-year business plan developed by the company and validated by international aviation consultants identifies the fleet expansion and modernisation program as a key requirement of the airline to maintain a competitive advantage in the market.

Accordingly, the Government has offered to provide guarantees to enable the company to obtain a syndicate facility, a borrowing facility of US$ 175 million from Mashreq Bank of the United Arab Emirates, he said.

In line with the Government decision to re-capitalise the company, the Government issued private Treasury Bonds to the value of US$ 125 million to the company as equity fund ng planning.

He said SriLankan has already commenced a fleet modernisation program which will be completed hopefully by the end of this year. Accordingly, all front seats will be flat based while all other seats are also being refurbished. New entertainment systems have also been installed.

"This is something we did not have three years ago. We did all this upto now with our own money", he said.

Comment

• Originally posted by slaviator View Post
                For all the people who were talking about Protectionism and all the Virgin Atlantic stuff not being allowed on the CMB-UK route...here you go...British Airways back in Colombo via Gatwick from March 2013..........

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/120805/bus...2013-7625.html
                Ok, let me help you out...here you go; policy statement...straight from the horse's mouth

Last edited by Speedbird; 06-08-2012, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                  Ok, let me help you out...here you go; policy statement...straight from the horse's mouth

http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/f...?nid=303408010
                  Horses mouth or not! This is an unofficial jibe at companies like Emirates and Qatar. They go by financial might and basically outcompete other airlines simply based on Financial power and strength....which is very possible in Sri Lanka because we are too small a market to compete comprehensively with the goliaths in the sky(in terms of affordability and the % of the population flying regularly and the income capacities and in terms of tourists coming through)....

I've explained this before and don't really wish to repeat myself with regards to governments around the world and the nationalistic measures they take to protect their airlines...it happens.....regardless where you are from..some will provide money...some will restrict access....others will ensure that airlines aren't privately owned....I can go on and on....there is no such thing as a completely democratic airline operating in a completely liberalized manner and haven't ever had some form of restriction placed on them...if you believe so...well that's a naive and a well not well thought-out opinion...but everyone is entitled to their own opinions...

we are coming out of a 30 year war...the fact that Sri Lankan is even flying is a blessing....many airlines would have gone bust with the history Sri Lanka and the airline (blown up long-haul planes, night curfews on top of everything else thats happening in the Aviation market with epidemics, GFC's...not many airlines have had to endure in recent memory) itself has had....we have a tiny tourism market, 1 million maybe this year (for the first time ever).....how many Sri Lankan actually fly on a yearly basis....I'm sure the total flying capacity must be around 1/2 to maybe a months worth in a lot of other countries with flying capabilities...we don't have that big a flying population to warrant a massive growth of airlines coming in especially when most of the major airline hubs are a couple of flying distance away....our location to China and India and possibly Africa is our chance and opportunity....

....if Sri Lankan makes a loss on the routes to Europe...the European legacy carriers won't be able to survive...they are simply too Expensive per km.... and in a market like Sri Lanka...we are not there yet that we would pay a good $400-500 more to fly to Europe (im talking about the average citizen)...only a certain bracket and that is a minority....will do so and airlines target that and they know which markets that they will be able to compete in and in markets that they won't be able too...why do you think BA is starting with 3 flights...it's to test the waters and also possibly look at establishing formal relations on the basis of OneWorld....

case in point...in September from Syd...all have stops...if I was flying to LHR....if I was willing to spend I would fly emirates and not the European carriers...its a more comfortable flights and better service...why would I pay more for inferior service...if cost is a barrier...Id fly China Southern...save myself a 1000 for spending money....
                  to LHR - British Airways/Qantas - $2800
                  to LHR - Virgin Atlantic - $2700
                  to LHR - Emirates - $2500
                  to LHR - China Southern - $1800...

...we don't have the population or the income to supplement such a growth not at least for now....the middle Eastern carriers thrive on the tax-free aspects...the financial backing of oil (leverage for acquiring financial backing of banks - how do you think the half-constructed oasis in Dubai exists and why the grandiose plans to make something out of a fast receding oil supply almost spectacularly failed) if not for oil profits themselves....if just Australia represent close to a 1/4 of of Emirates profits, l do start to wonder how much they actually make from some of the other destinations they fly to....and that in a well managed airline....

The fact that we even have a small growing fleet is a good thing...the new planes being added is another good thing..investing in things like simulators...upgrading the IFE...one world membership....these are things previous managements didnt even have the balls to invest in...but is much needed because we've upto now never added value to the goal of making a minor flying hub...a transit point to the sub-continent for the rest of the world is where we can thrive....we have a long way to go agreed....but it has to start somewhere...this is as a good start as I've seen...

Sri Lankan airlines will never have the might or finances to expand and add new planes and items as a lot of you'll are suggesting....the case of replacing an entire ageing fleet is not a clear-cut exercise and without investment there will be no return....even if we have private investors or a partner airline that is no guarantee that the airline will expand....with the losses in the current aviation market finding a buyer who will procure a sizable share base in another airline is a joke other than for ferrying passengers to their Hub to whisk away to high yielding destinations...case in point BA and Iberia...Etihad and Virgin Australia....Emirates wooing Qantas to name a few....

At the end of the day...take a long term view of things....taking a naive, cynical and short-term view is a Sri Lankan trait that's hard to shake-off....you guys need to look at things with a more open mind and idea of how things are run and what's being geared up for the future...there will be a barrage to this post from you guys who'll harp on the fallacy and failed policies and lots of other things and reply to this with similar sentiments..i dont expect anything different..we are after all typical Sri lankans aren't we...cynical is our middle name...

Soo to cut a long story short....some good things are happening....there will be mistakes and acts of stupidity...I have no doubt and have seen some too....but all I can say is wait and see.....it's not all that bad....analyzing airline business Structures is what I do for a living....hint look at Virgin's turnaround....Borgahetti didn't turn Virgin around just by himself you know...there were lots of little people involved....
                  Last edited by slaviator; 06-08-2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Another quick note to add...

Banuthev & KFlyer I've been reading your posts since before this forum...on the previous SL Aviation discussions....I remember those forums with a fair amount of nostalgia due to the level of intellect and general awareness that everyone had and also for incisive and generally well thought-out comments and arguments...

Thank you for your valuable contributions and insight even back then...

Comment

• You have raised some valid points no doubt.

But our gripe is the management of UL.

When the boss Nishantha is living a life of extravagant luxury eating the airline’s profits, it’s a problem.

When the president wants to take some jaunt somewhere he steals a plane.

When Government honcho’s want to fly, not only do they steal planes, they do not even pay.

ULs Management’s and Government’s “favourites” (i.e. best sycophants and relations) get promoted over those who have brains and skill and actually care for the airline. These clowns then make idiot decisions purely designed for their own enjoyment.

Inflight service by the Cabin crew is atrocious. I hate most the “white first” mentality, its disgusting how the cabin crew do not give a damn for us, but will wade hand and foot for a “white god” on board.

I flew in the 90s with Air Lanka –there was no personal inflight entertainment, but the crew were amazing and the food the best in the world. Not the case anymore. The Cabin crew seem always lost and not that bothered, unless you’re white of course.

Can you also explain to me what business sense there is in the State running TWO airlines? Why is Mihin being kept afloat? Does it make sense for passengers who pay for the cheaper Mihin tickets to be “upgraded” to the more expensive UL. Does it make sense that the boss and CEO of Mihin and UL are the same? What is going on with regards to Mihin Lanka? It SERVES NO PURPOSE other than being a burden. There is no commercial sense or business model behind it. It is just there because the Preso’s name is on it.

This protection racket to “preserve the national carrier” would be “ok” if UL was THE BEST and the service was perfect that people will be trampling over others to get on board. In fact if that was the case, UL would not need an idiot monopoly to be “protected”.

So long as this idiot short sighted “trick” is done to “preserve the national carrier” Colombo will never grow and become a hub. You talk about thinking long term, but every decision made by UL and SL governments past and present is SHORT TERM and stupid. You want Colombo as a hub but also want to “preserve the national carrier”. The latter prevents the former.

Those of us "on the attack", are not doing this because we enjoy it or becaise we want UL to fail. We want UL to BE THE BEST. When we see the ugly, stupid decisions made by the management and Government interference we will say something. The service is BAD when compared to other airlines in the same class as UL and so many people are avoiding UL because of this.
                      Last edited by Praetorian; 06-08-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Another quick note to add...

Banuthev & KFlyer I've been reading your posts since before this forum...on the previous SL Aviation discussions....I remember those forums with a fair amount of nostalgia due to the level of intellect and general awareness that everyone had and also for incisive and generally well thought-out comments and arguments...

Thank you for your valuable contributions and insight even back then...
                        Nice to finally notice someone talking something sensible - the very same cause why I have stayed away from this forum. This place has gotten too political and personally attacking as of late. Unfortunately, not many people always realise that knowing too little can sometimes be a dangerous thing.
                        The opinions above are solely my own and do not reflect those of my employer or clients

Comment

• Sri Lanka to host global aviation summit

Tapping into a booming tourism sector and promoting human capital in the aviation sector, the International Air Transport Association (IATA) will host a three- day Global Aviation Human Capital Summit in Sri Lanka, an official said here on Monday.

The summit, which could include over 53 countries and regions, would be held from 13 to 15 November in Colombo, SriLankan Airlines Head of Human Resource Pradeepa Kekulawala noted.

"The summit is designed to bring together key decision makers in the aviation industry to share best practices in human capital management and development. Creating a forum to discuss challenges, explore synergies, and identify solutions that can be tailored to match the needs of the industry," he said.

The event is also a part of IATA's continuing efforts to meet the exceptional human capital challenges faced by the industry.

The summit is expected to attract a large number of global heads of human capital, their deputies and the global heads of training and development from airlines, airports and aviation authorities.

The summit held last year in Singapore attracted some 150 delegates from 53 countries and regions.

Sri Lanka is also attempting to promote itself as a venue for conventions and summits in a bid to increase its tourism revenue.

The country is targeting one million arrivals this year to add to the post-war tourism boom being experienced over the last three years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kflyer View Post
                            Nice to finally notice someone talking something sensible -the very same cause why I have stayed away from this forum. This place has gotten too political and personally attacking as of late. Unfortunately, not many people always realise that knowing too little can sometimes be a dangerous thing.

Well please do share so we know more.

And i didn't know things have become "personal"?

As for things becoming "political" -no one is promoting politics or the opposition here or calling for Government change or things like that. Whether you like it or not all Governments past to present have tinkered with the airline and done stupid things, and their decisions have an affect on the aviation industry in SL.

Wasn't it too long ago that a correct business decision to scrap flights to Italy was over turned by the President because "the cardinal" had made such a request? (Does Malcom Ranjit really need to fly to Italy/have direct airlinks to Italy for him to do is job? Isn't this guy "always" connected to his buddy upstairs?).

If you do not want people who know little saying wrong things, then take it upon yourself to enlighten them.

I’d love to know the logic behind keeping Mihin Lanka afloat. And that is a serious question.
                            Last edited by Praetorian; 06-08-2012, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Horses mouth or not! This is an unofficial jibe at companies like Emirates and Qatar. They go by financial might and basically outcompete other airlines simply based on Financial power and strength....which is very possible in Sri Lanka because we are too small a market to compete comprehensively with the goliaths in the sky(in terms of affordability and the % of the population flying regularly and the income capacities and in terms of tourists coming through)....

I've explained this before and don't really wish to repeat myself with regards to governments around the world and the nationalistic measures they take to protect their airlines...it happens.....regardless where you are from..some will provide money...some will restrict access....others will ensure that airlines aren't privately owned....I can go on and on....there is no such thing as a completely democratic airline operating in a completely liberalized manner and haven't ever had some form of restriction placed on them...if you believe so...well that's a naive and a well not well thought-out opinion...but everyone is entitled to their own opinions...

we are coming out of a 30 year war...the fact that Sri Lankan is even flying is a blessing....many airlines would have gone bust with the history Sri Lanka and the airline (blown up long-haul planes, night curfews on top of everything else thats happening in the Aviation market with epidemics, GFC's...not many airlines have had to endure in recent memory) itself has had....we have a tiny tourism market, 1 million maybe this year (for the first time ever).....how many Sri Lankan actually fly on a yearly basis....I'm sure the total flying capacity must be around 1/2 to maybe a months worth in a lot of other countries with flying capabilities...we don't have that big a flying population to warrant a massive growth of airlines coming in especially when most of the major airline hubs are a couple of flying distance away....our location to China and India and possibly Africa is our chance and opportunity....

....if Sri Lankan makes a loss on the routes to Europe...the European legacy carriers won't be able to survive...they are simply too Expensive per km.... and in a market like Sri Lanka...we are not there yet that we would pay a good $400-500 more to fly to Europe (im talking about the average citizen)...only a certain bracket and that is a minority....will do so and airlines target that and they know which markets that they will be able to compete in and in markets that they won't be able too...why do you think BA is starting with 3 flights...it's to test the waters and also possibly look at establishing formal relations on the basis of OneWorld....

case in point...in September from Syd...all have stops...if I was flying to LHR....if I was willing to spend I would fly emirates and not the European carriers...its a more comfortable flights and better service...why would I pay more for inferior service...if cost is a barrier...Id fly China Southern...save myself a 1000 for spending money....
                              to LHR - British Airways/Qantas - $2800
                              to LHR - Virgin Atlantic - $2700
                              to LHR - Emirates - $2500
                              to LHR - China Southern - $1800...

...we don't have the population or the income to supplement such a growth not at least for now....the middle Eastern carriers thrive on the tax-free aspects...the financial backing of oil (leverage for acquiring financial backing of banks - how do you think the half-constructed oasis in Dubai exists and why the grandiose plans to make something out of a fast receding oil supply almost spectacularly failed) if not for oil profits themselves....if just Australia represent close to a 1/4 of of Emirates profits, l do start to wonder how much they actually make from some of the other destinations they fly to....and that in a well managed airline....

The fact that we even have a small growing fleet is a good thing...the new planes being added is another good thing..investing in things like simulators...upgrading the IFE...one world membership....these are things previous managements didnt even have the balls to invest in...but is much needed because we've upto now never added value to the goal of making a minor flying hub...a transit point to the sub-continent for the rest of the world is where we can thrive....we have a long way to go agreed....but it has to start somewhere...this is as a good start as I've seen...

Sri Lankan airlines will never have the might or finances to expand and add new planes and items as a lot of you'll are suggesting....the case of replacing an entire ageing fleet is not a clear-cut exercise and without investment there will be no return....even if we have private investors or a partner airline that is no guarantee that the airline will expand....with the losses in the current aviation market finding a buyer who will procure a sizable share base in another airline is a joke other than for ferrying passengers to their Hub to whisk away to high yielding destinations...case in point BA and Iberia...Etihad and Virgin Australia....Emirates wooing Qantas to name a few....

At the end of the day...take a long term view of things....taking a naive, cynical and short-term view is a Sri Lankan trait that's hard to shake-off....you guys need to look at things with a more open mind and idea of how things are run and what's being geared up for the future...there will be a barrage to this post from you guys who'll harp on the fallacy and failed policies and lots of other things and reply to this with similar sentiments..i dont expect anything different..we are after all typical Sri lankans aren't we...cynical is our middle name...

Soo to cut a long story short....some good things are happening....there will be mistakes and acts of stupidity...I have no doubt and have seen some too....but all I can say is wait and see.....it's not all that bad....analyzing airline business Structures is what I do for a living....hint look at Virgin's turnaround....Borgahetti didn't turn Virgin around just by himself you know...there were lots of little people involved....
                              Oh dear...

I will keep my comment very very short

your post #1816 and few previously implies that there are no protectionism in Sri Lankan aviation policy; but again the above post implies yes there is protectionism...
                              conflicting analogy eh!

thank for the rant; let stick to the point which is protectionism...As I said before there are 100's of airlines that does not have government protectionism and gone bust...since you live in OZ; that remind me of Ansett Australia

Unfortunately Sri Lankan Airlines cannot be run as a Sri Lankan Government monopolistic corporation like CEB or CPC...why...coz need to respect bilateral treaties.

Comment

• Originally posted by Praetorian View Post
                                Well please do share so we know more.

And i didn't know things have become "personal"?

As for things becoming "political" -no one is promoting politics or the opposition here or calling for Government change or things like that. Whether you like it or not all Governments past to present have tinkered with the airline and done stupid things, and their decisions have an affect on the aviation industry in SL.

Wasn't it too long ago that a correct business decision to scrap flights to Italy was over turned by the President because "the cardinal" had made such a request? (Does Malcom Ranjit really need to fly to Italy/have direct airlinks to Italy for him to do is job? Isn't this guy "always" connected to his buddy upstairs?).

If you do not want people who know little saying wrong things, then take it upon yourself to enlighten them.

I’d love to know the logic behind keeping Mihin Lanka afloat. And that is a serious question.
                                Of course, I am in no position to answer that last question as that is not a decision you or I can make. But if possible, I would like you to analyze the most recent financial reports of both airlines. You may then realise that on an operational level MJ is now making a better return than UL. If used in the right way, MJ's business model is the perfect one that fits SL as the majority in SL cannot afford a full service air ticket. And the advantage of having a common management is that you can then use MJ as a tool for UL to fight the LCCs expanding rapidly into CMB. Again this all depends on the execution, but it is a sound model in theory.
                                The opinions above are solely my own and do not reflect those of my employer or clients

Comment

Working...
                                X