Sri Lanka Airports
Mobile View

News Headlines..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1002
    Quote Originally Posted by ejanson65 View Post
    Well - that's going nowhere then!

There is no business case for Mattala - never was and never will be.

The only option is to close this down - the quicker the better imho.
    Whilst I agree there is no business case, there are also strategic considerations in regards to this. I wouldn't be surprised if China offers a counter bid to keep India away from Hambantota. The government is best playing them against each other and selling the airport to the highest bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
    Whilst I agree there is no business case, there are also strategic considerations in regards to this. I wouldn't be surprised if China offers a counter bid to keep India away from Hambantota. The government is best playing them against each other and selling the airport to the highest bidder.
    http://www.domain-b.com/aero/airport...t_venture.html

Chinese and Indians only care about their own self interests - you don't want them owning parts of your country imho.

You'll be paying a high price for one man's Hubris.
    Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Brazilian Aircraft manufacturer Embraer eyes Sri Lanka

Embraer one of the world’s largest aircraft manufacturers, based in Brazil is looking out for investment opportunities in Sri Lanka.

The newly-appointed Vice President of Embraer Commercial Aviation for Asia Pacific, Cesar Pereira and Regional Sales Director Asia Pacific Fernando Mainardi was in Sri Lanka and met several government and private sector officials yesterday.

Cesar Pereira speaking to Daily News at the Brazilian Embassy in Colombo yesterday said that they are in to the manufacture of narrow bodied aircraft which is most suited for the fleet of SriLankan Airlines.

“We feel that the way forward for SriLankan is to be a regional hub and attract transit traffic from the region and then feed them to long haul destinations with their larger aircraft. We feel as and when this model is put in to place passenger volumes to Sri Lanka could increase by over 66%. He also said that the present Colombo international airport is adequate to handle additional passengers.

I also feel that this operation should be also done similar to Singapore and Dubai with free stay-over, Free city tours and more additional duty free airport shops to make Colombo more attractive.”

He also said that they may also consider a MRO (airline repair and maintenance center) in Mattala if a proper business proposal is put on the table for them.

“We are also open for any other offer provided it would be of mutual benefit for all stakeholders.”

He said the company with over 48 year history is also in to agriculture aircraft and these aircraft could be used in Sri Lanka mainly to spray chemicals from air on agricultural fields.

In the commercial aviation area, we are the third largest aircraft manufacturer (after Airbus and Boeing) and our E-Jets family of single aisle jet aircraft are operated by 65 airlines in 45 countries globally. We are in the commercial aviation, executive aviation and defense areas,” he added.

http://www.dailynews.lk/2017/10/13/b...aer-eyes-lanka

Government needs to offer Embraer to “operate, manage, maintain and develop” the Mattala airport and hold 80% equity for 99 years, presence of Embraer in Sri Lanka will be a turning point to the aviation industry.

Chinese and Indians only care about their own self interests - you don't want them owning parts of your country imho.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/busines...-s-new-airport

I won't be so negative.

The 12,000 feet runway is a great asset for anybody who wants to move MRO to Mattala.

If, and if, the Authorities allow the related services to move in as well.

Take Singapore, Paya Lebar, until recently it was a MRO / repair station, so as to not impact ops at Changi.

Quote Originally Posted by ecureilx View Post
    I won't be so negative.

The 12,000 feet runway is a great asset for anybody who wants to move MRO to Mattala.

If, and if, the Authorities allow the related services to move in as well.

Take Singapore, Paya Lebar, until recently it was a MRO / repair station, so as to not impact ops at Changi.
    The problem is that there is no longer such a thing as Legitimate Business in Sri Lanka. I think we all know how 'Business' is done in Sri Lanka.

Why do you think Lufthansa dropped plans for an MRO in Sri Lanka?

Global companies/brands are very sensitive about their image - that's why they don't do 'Business' in Sri Lanka.
    Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Global companies/brands are very sensitive about their image - that's why they don't do 'Business' in Sri Lanka.
    I may disagree

Large companies work on ROI. But when ROI is bad, like when local mafia wants share of profit, they quit.

Not much on image I may say ...

I am sure if Lufthansa did really consider MRO and pulled out, you can see the answer in the first two letters of MRO ! Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ecureilx View Post
    I may disagree

Large companies work on ROI. But when ROI is bad, like when local mafia wants share of profit, they quit.

Not much on image I may say ...

I am sure if Lufthansa did really consider MRO and pulled out, you can see the answer in the first two letters of MRO ! Who knows.
    This is the way 'Business' gets done in Sri Lanka but that's not generally the case globally.

There are plenty of companies who will not pay bribes or give kickbacks and will not do Business in certain countries (Sri Lanka). Don't fool yourself - there is a reason you don't see a lot of multinationals in Sri Lanka.

I doubt you will ever see Embraer in Sri Lanka for this very reason - watch as they take their Business elsewhere.

Most other countries are leasing assets to such countries. Can't be any worse than paying off a $200m loan without any revenue to offset it. That said your probably right in that our guys will allow a lease to go ahead with detrimental terms.

Most other countries are leasing assets to such countries. Can't be any worse than paying off a $200m loan without any revenue to offset it. That said your probably right in that our guys will allow a lease to go ahead with detrimental terms.
    Well when I read the local papers it's nothing but Fraud and Corruption. Under the previous government almost $20 Billion was transferred out of the country (stolen from the people of Sri Lanka). To the best of my knowledge not a single $ has been recovered - just a lot of talk!

Seems to me there are other options - $20 Billion will pay off a lot of these loans.

Ratmalana Airport to launch 12 yr master plan

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/171022/bus...an-264643.html

What a load of crap

...it would not generate adequate ROI and since it would mean attempting to compete with the country’s main international airport at Katunayaka.

looks like the unions are running the business case

Upgrading Plan for Terminal – 01 (Beautification Project for Terminal 1 BIA)

1. Refurbishment and Expansion of Departure & Arrival Walkways
    New air conditioned walkways for comfort of the passengers.
    Daylight usage from roof to reduced electricity lighting cost. This will remove the visually narrow effect of the corridor.
    More shopping to departing passengers.
    Improved visual experience.

2. Expansion of Departure Public Concourse and Garden Shops
    More shops and open garden space for passengers and visitors. This will integrate the concept if Sri Lankan vernacular architecture.
    Public washrooms.
    Additional area for airline office.
    Meeters and Greeters can easily move around in the verandah.

3. Expansion of Check-In Area – Departure (Completed)
    More queuing area for the passengers.

4. Check- In Area Expansion with Baggage handling system

5. Emigration Area Re-Location / Development and Expansion of Duty free Area
    Emigration desk will be taken one level up with connection of 2 escalators and a lift.
    Increased number of Emigration counters (16 to 23)
    More space for the passengers queue.
    Increased number of duty free shops (10 Nos.)
    A large Emigration Hall

6. Modifications to Immigration Area and Electronic Mall
    A large Immigration hall.
    Increased number of Immigration counters.(27 to 43) and more queuing space.
    Large space for the passengers queue.
    New Electronics mall with increased number of shops.
    Hassle free passenger movement.

7. Refurbishment of Araliya Lounge
    Enhance the Passenger capacity.
    New modern look
    Introduction of new facilities such as sleeping areas, children play areas, etc.

8. Refurbishment of Wash Rooms
    New modern look

9. Refurbishment of Silk Route Lounges and Executive Lounge.
    New modern look
    Introduction of new facilities such as buffet area, more wash rooms etc.

10. Proposed Arrival & Departure Passenger Segregation.
    This will separate Arrival and Departure Passengers with the introduction of new Level.
    Additional space for gate lounges.
    Centralized security checking.
    More shops to Gate areas will increase the income.
    More facilities to passengers.

A much needed good news. Hope for the Best

Source: http://www.airport.lk/aasl/developme...Terminal01.php

Proposals and different designs everyday but when are they going to lay the first brick?
    I’m really tired of hearing BIA expansion projects ;(

http://sundayobserver.lk/2017/11/05/...ade-bia-runway

Is this true did they construct a rapid exit in CMB

By creating 40 degree angle aircraft could exit the runway much faster paving the way for other planes to land,” Jayaratne said.

US$12 mln interim terminal at BIA in 18 months

By Sunimalee Dias
    View(s): 892

Sri Lanka is set to establish an interim departure terminal at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) at a cost of approximately US$12 million in line with proposed targeted tourist arrival figures following promotions campaigns set to take off early next year.

An interim terminal costing around $10-12 million will be established at the BIA since the second phase of the expansion at the airport would be completed only by end 2021, Airport and Aviation Services Ltd Executive Director Johanne Jayaratne told the Business Times on Wednesday.

He noted that the interim terminal solution would be for departures only to process around two million departing passengers as this is where the airport experienced most congestion.

The interim terminal would be located next to the existing terminal and would be completed within a period of 18 months or sooner, Mr. Jayaratne said.

Currently airport authorities are working on the specifications of the proposed interim terminal and following which they would float a tender by the end of the year or make a Request for Proposal (RFP).

The Government has decided to increase capacity to the existing terminal envisaging the increase in tourist traffic in the wake of the global tourism promotion campaign set to be launched by the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau (SLTPB). The bureau’s campaign early next year is expected to generate an influx of tourists.

Sri Lanka is targeting four million visitors by 2020 and in line with this, new infrastructure is in place to ensure authorities would be proactive to future challenges, Mr. Jayaratne said.

At present the existing BIA terminal has a capacity of six million passengers but it was noted that they had processed 9.4 million in 2016.

Projections are that the capacity at the BIA is likely to increase this year to about 10.2 million, Mr. Jayaratne said adding that the interim terminal would be a basic one with no frills.

The second stage of the proposed expansion of the BIA with a second terminal is expected to be completed in 2021 at a cost of $470 million and is currently underway with work on apron development having commenced about two months back. The terminal contract itself is currently being negotiated with the contractor, Mr. Jayaratne said.
    http://www.sundaytimes.lk/171105/bus...hs-266827.html

"proposed targeted tourist arrival figures following promotions campaigns set to take off early next year."

any idea what is this???

Quote Originally Posted by SpookyFlyer View Post
    Proposals and different designs everyday but when are they going to lay the first brick?
    I’m really tired of hearing BIA expansion projects ;(
    Work in progress. Please check: http://www.airport.lk/aasl/developme...Terminal01.php

BIA Departure area - captured on 13.11.2017