X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Mini seaplane airport opens tomorrow

Comment

A programme has been developed to develop domestic airports.

Ministry of Civil Aviation has launched a programme to develop domestic airports in the island. A sum of 750 million rupees has been allocated for this purpose. Under the programme Ratmalana airport will be developed as a major domestic airport.

Minister Priyankara Jayarathne says two domestic airports will be setup in Kandy and Nuwara Eliya. This will help the foreigners arriving in Sri Lanka to reach any part of the island within a short period. The minister added that Sri Lankan airlines will be made a profitable venture within next 5 years.

Take a look at HIA Website : www.hia.lk

Comment

Originally posted by Serendib View Post
          Mini seaplane airport opens tomorrow

http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2012/05/20/fea10.asp
          I am a bit curious .. what do these guys smoke ? no offense .. but .. the following had me in stitches .. never did I know that sea planes have such long 'legs' ..

“We are planning to raise the standard of the mini sea plane airstrip to international level and even allowed private operators to land here. We also expect sea planes from other countries such as the Maldives to land here,” Minister of Aviation Priyankara Jayaratne said.

Comment

BIA's new terminal......

Comment

Thanks mrpanini,

BIA new terminal to accommodate 6 m passengers - http://www.development.lk/news.php?news=1702

Comment

Originally posted by mrpanini View Post
                BIA's new terminal......
                wow awesome ... any idea when they are going to process this plan ?

Comment

I think when Mattala is ready. Then flights will be diverted to Mattala until BIA is done ...so I hear
                  Aeronautical Association of Sri Lanka

Comment

hahahahaha now only i got the point they wanted to market Mattala airport.
                    so now they got a good idea to close BIA ....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mrpanini View Post
                        BIA's new terminal......
                        Hi mrpanini - Welcome to Air Sri Lanka Forum, I can be able to see that CMB's new Terminal going to be built where Cargo Area presently located. So do you know where they are planning to park the Freight flights ?

Originally posted by thivaharan View Post
                        hahahahaha now only i got the point they wanted to market Mattala airport.
                        so now they got a good idea to close BIA ....
                        It's no way CMB will be fully-closed during the construction period because HTT can't handle all the CMB-aircraft-traffic since HTT is going to be having only 2 airbridges and 5 or 6 aircraft-stands when Phase I complete in November 2012. Anyway I will be happy if they permanently transfer the Airforce base to HTT.

HTT Terminal will look like this in the Phase I completion in November 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Banuthev View Post
                          Hi mrpanini - Welcome to Air Sri Lanka Forum, I can be able to see that CMB's new Terminal going to be built where Cargo Area presently located. So do you know where they are planning to park the Freight flights ?

[/CENTER]
                          It seems like the new terminal might be able to fit in next to the current passenger terminal. And there's space to expand the apron westwards to accommodate freight flights.

Comment

Sri Lanka airport agency to call proposals for BOT hotel: report

June 03, 2012 (LBO) - Sri Lanka is to call proposals for a luxury hotel near the island's Bandaranaike International Airport, north of the capital Colombo, to be constructed on a build-operate-transfer (BOT) basis, a media report said.

The Sunday Times newspaper said the Airport and Aviations Services Limited, a state agency that owns and operates the airport would give land and charge a land rental and a concession free on the hotel's revenue.
                            The newspaper said China Harbour Corporation, a contractor that is already involved in many Chinese funded projects is the front runner, followed by Quant International Ltd, a British firm and Fico (Pvt) Ltd, which is Sri Lanka based.

The Sunday Times, citing an unnamed aviation ministry source said the cabinet of ministers had approved the BOT plan after an earlier attempt to build a luxury hotel by AASL was scrapped for lack of funds.

The airport agency is scrambling to expand capacity at Katunayake after aircraft and passenger movements zoomed following the end of a 30-year war.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryLankan View Post
                                News 360 reporting JICA loan for CMB improvements.....

No details on what can be done with the amount - will that include 2nd runway too??
                                Originally posted by ecureilx View Post
                                Unlikely for second runway.

Logic says the 2nd runway should be angled, unless due to space constraints, it can be parallel

For both, there is lack of space - Airforce, FTZ .. and all and more ..

Unless the carve out space far away from the main runway and put up a backup runway a bit away with proper taxiway ..
                                I do understand CMB does not have much space available for expansion unless government move the airforce from CMB to HTT.

Comment

Working...
                                X