This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New passenger terminal at Bandaranaike Airport with JICA funding

The cabinet has decided to enter into a loan agreement with the Japan International Cooperation Agency to obtain funds to build a passenger terminal at Bandaranaike International Airport.

The proposed passenger terminal with 180,000 square meters has a higher level access way to the terminal in addition to the provision of electricity, water, waste disposal systems, car parks, sub runways, and other infrastructure.

The cabinet has also decided to appoint a Procurement Committee and Technical Evaluation Committee to award a tender for the selection of suitable operators for the operation of Core Category Duty Free Shops at the Bandaranaike Airport.

Duty Free Shops have currently been given as a franchise right shared among two operators. No tender procedure or calling for competitive bidding has been done in selection.

The proposed tender will have an agreement period of 05 years according to the tender procedure.

Comment

• Sri Lanka airport wraps up US$600mn Japan funding for expansion

ECONOMYNEXT - State-run Airport and Aviation Services (Sri Lanka) Ltd, is expected to call bids for a new terminal building in March 2016 after receiving government nod to wrap up a 74.3 billion yen (614 million dollar) loan from Japan.

The loan will be used to build a new terminal, taxiway and apron, cabinet spokesman minister Rajitha Senaratne said

http://economynext.com/Sri_Lanka_air...on-3-4138.html

Comment

• - Overlay and Upgrading Works of Runway. Bids will be closed at 1400 hrs. on 29.02.2016

- ‘Refurbishment of Departure Walkways at the Terminal Building, Bandaranaike International Airport, Katunayake’. The estimated cost amounts to Rupees 175 Million approximately. Bids close 24.02.2016

Comment

• Chapter 7 for Airport
          Chapter 10.1 for aero City

Comment

• Turkish Airlines May Use Mattala (HRI)

Minister of City Planning and Water Supply Rauff Hakeem who is on an official visit to Turkey met with the Deputy Chairman and CEO of Turkish Airlines Dr. Temel Kotil and other senior executives.

Among matters discussed were closer cooperation between Turkish Airlines and Srilankan Airlines and the possibility of the Turkish Airlines utilizing Mattala Airport as a maintenance hub. Promotion of Sri Lanka as a tourist destination by the Turkish Airlines was also discussed.

Dr.Kotil was eminently receptive to the suggestion made and as a follow up to this wishes to invite a team of officials from the Srilankan Airlines to discuss the areas of mutual cooperation and strategic alliance. He also agreed to host a delegation of Sri Lankan inbound travel agents in Istanbul for a an introductory program with the Turkish Airlines travel agents both in Turkey and in Europe.

Minister of City Planning and Water Supply Rauff Hakeem who is on an official visit to Turkey met with the Deputy Chairman and CEO of Turkish Airlines Dr. Temel Kotil and other senior executives. Among matters discussed were closer cooperation between Turkish Airlines and Srilankan Airlines and the
            -Aaqib Hussain
            (Aviation Analyst | Content Creator)
            www.youtube.com/airlines747

Comment

• New terminal building for BIA

A new terminal building will be built at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) at a cost of Rs. 65 billion, Transport and Civil Aviation Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva said. He said the present terminal building can accommodate only six million passengers. "The capacity is not sufficient to handle all passenger movements and air freight as last year alone there had been over 8.5 million passenger movements. That is why we have planned to construct a new terminal building for the airport," the minister said.

Comment

• Northern Province’s Chief Minister C V Wigneswaran has raised objections over the renovation of the Palaly airport in the Northern Province, one of the many large infrastructure projects proposed in Sri Lanka with the funding of the Indian Government,because airport expansion might "adversely affect” interests of the fishing community of the nearby Myladdy fishery harbor. In addition, Kandiah Sarveswaran, member of the Provincial Council,also has said another issue, that many tracts of private lands in and around the airport are now with the security forces and their owners will like to get them back. These lands should not be disturbed for the renovation project.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaqib View Post
                  Minister of City Planning and Water Supply Rauff Hakeem who is on an official visit to Turkey met with the Deputy Chairman and CEO of Turkish Airlines Dr. Temel Kotil and other senior executives.

Among matters discussed were closer cooperation between Turkish Airlines and Srilankan Airlines and the possibility of the Turkish Airlines utilizing Mattala Airport as a maintenance hub. Promotion of Sri Lanka as a tourist destination by the Turkish Airlines was also discussed.

Dr.Kotil was eminently receptive to the suggestion made and as a follow up to this wishes to invite a team of officials from the Srilankan Airlines to discuss the areas of mutual cooperation and strategic alliance. He also agreed to host a delegation of Sri Lankan inbound travel agents in Istanbul for a an introductory program with the Turkish Airlines travel agents both in Turkey and in Europe.

http://colombogazette.com/2016/02/06...kish-airlines/
                  Not sure if they are fooling us or themselves. How much things did they try since they came to power and they failed. A useless airport is a useless airport.
                  The only useful thing to do is relocate SLAF Katunayake ro Mattala and make space for BIA expansion and Megapolis Airport city

Comment

• any news on New terminal building for BIA stage 2 including 2 runway

Comment

• Originally posted by Godofpower View Post
                      Not sure if they are fooling us or themselves. How much things did they try since they came to power and they failed. A useless airport is a useless airport.
                      The only useful thing to do is relocate SLAF Katunayake ro Mattala and make space for BIA expansion and Megapolis Airport city
                      Mattala is a good place for MRO activities, if they can ensure there are no peacock strikes

Since it is built, I am of the belief that it's better they try to find alternate uses for Mattala, and at the same time relocate SLAF too.

And avoiding use will not mean the loans will be waived.

MRO + SLAF - not much activity, and can still be a diversion airport for CMB, if the need rises.

And CMB does need a second runway.
                      Last edited by ecureilx; 11-03-2016, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ecureilx View Post
                        Mattala is a good place for MRO activities, if they can ensure there are no peacock strikes

Since it is built, I am of the belief that it's better they try to find alternate uses for Mattala, and at the same time relocate SLAF too.

And avoiding use will not mean the loans will be waived.

MRO + SLAF - not much activity, and can still be a diversion airport for CMB, if the need rises.

And CMB does need a second runway.
                        I am in favor of moving the air force base; but from what I have heard the vicinity of the Mattala airport is a heavy nesting area for migratory birds? (I have also heard of rumors there was a directive to burn the nests to get rid of the birds during the previous regime?)

We don't have money to buy any aircraft for the air force (on a related item I saw an article that the government wants to shelve the plans of the air force to buy 20 year old retired c130s from the UK). So I am not sure if it is advisable to set up the main air force base in Mattala and risk getting aircraft damaged or written off or even risking human life? Maybe Koggalla and or Trinco are better alternatives?

For the same reason I don't think airlines would want to risk damage or write-offs to their aircraft if an MRO was set up in Mattala? I am not sure what can be done with that airport. At least the other white elephant projects seem to have some sort of prospect to be turned around but the prospect for the airport look pretty bleak (unless someone wants to indulge in another round of nest burning activities .
                        Last edited by LukeSkywalker; 13-03-2016, 11:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
                          I am in favor of moving the air force base; but from what I have heard the vicinity of the Mattala airport is a heavy nesting area for migratory birds? (I have also heard of rumors there was a directive to burn the nests to get rid of the birds during the previous regime?)

We don't have money to buy any aircraft for the air force (on a related item I saw an article that the government wants to shelve the plans of the air force to buy 20 year old retired c130s from the UK). So I am not sure if it is advisable to set up the main air force base in Mattala and risk getting aircraft damaged or written off or even risking human life? Maybe Koggalla and or Trinco are better alternatives?

For the same reason I don't think airlines would want to risk damage or write-offs to their aircraft if an MRO was set up in Mattala? I am not sure what can be done with that airport. At least the other white elephant projects seem to have some sort of prospect to be turned around but the prospect for the airport look pretty bleak (unless someone wants to indulge in another round of nest burning activities .
                          As long as MR pulls strings, his supporters won't allow any re-use of the airport, for anything other than planes.

Well, MRO ops don't have many take offs/landings.

And for Air Force - not sure if the bird issue is that bad.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
                              I have also heard of rumors there was a directive to burn the nests to get rid of the birds during the previous regime?
                              Duuuuude!!! It's barbaric

Comment

• Originally posted by Sandaru View Post
                                Duuuuude!!! It's barbaric
                                You never know if that's been done already, to glorify the airport bearing the name of the Glorious Dear Leader !!

Comment

Working...
                                X