Sri Lanka Airports
Mobile View

 

News Headlines..

   



 

+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 820 of 1007
  1. #801
    Quote Originally Posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
    The area around the runway is too clustered with different establishments like colleges(including KDU), Bata, Air force sports complex and the air force museum which makes it unfavourable for regular narrowbody jet operations (example: an A320 taking off or landing every 30mins to 1 hour). All it can take is the occasional Gulfstream or Dassault Falcon.
    Yes, there are a lot of establishments in the vicinity.

    But the SLAF No.2 squadron is based @RML and they operate both the C-130 and AN-32 from the airport. They even used to operate Y-8 from there during the war.

    I am not sure about the exact noise levels of each of these aircraft, but they cannot be too far off the noise level of a modern narrow body.

  2. #802
    Quote Originally Posted by banuthev View Post
    CAA Chairman, H.M. Nimalasiri said the CAA will be spending US$ 50 million of its own funds for the resurfacing. The runway is to be widened by 15 metres to 60 metres to accommodate the biggest commercial passenger jet, the Airbus A380. “However, the length of the runway will remain the same, as the minimum requirement for an A380 is only 3,000 metres, while the BIA runway is 3,500 metres,” he said.

    The BIA has a single runway of asphalt, with takeoff and landing distances of 3,441 m and 3,350 m respectively.

    He said that, as of now, the occasional A380 that comes to the BIA has difficulty, as the wings of the aircraft are getting stuck on the grass and cannot gather sufficient thrust for takeoff. “This is not good,” he said.

    In addition, Phase II of the BIA expansion project is to have a second runway, also able to accommodate the A380, with another taxiway to the second runway.

    Phase II is scheduled to begin in September/October 2017.

    http://www.sundaytimes.lk/160807/new...rs-203937.html
    Quote Originally Posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
    The Mattala Airport runway is 3,400 metres long and can accommodate the occasional A380 that lands there. “However, Mattala can only handle five flights per hour, which works out to a maximum 45 flights, and hence, flights have to be rescheduled and cancelled,” he said.

    The operations in Mattala will be on a first-come-first-served basis. Most of the flights that land at BIA are SriLankan, Emirates and Qatar flights,” he said.

    The CAA intends to provide convenient connections to passengers from Mattala by conducting a shuttle service.
    - This looks interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    How come...? How many shuttle service for a B77W. What type of aircraft for the shuttle??? Who will absorb the cost???CMB is already expensive to operate...There is limit on milking the customer???This what happens when an idiot spends money on Opening an airport in jungle rather than spending the money on second runway or extending runway in RML
    Are they planning to divert the SriLankan flights to Mattala during CMB runway resurfacing for 3 months? That's going to be disaster for SriLankan Airlines and for passengers.

    In a way it's good UL is wet leasing 4 A333s to PIA for 6 months because during CMB runway resurfacing UL may need to cancel most of the flights. There are no point parking the aircraft on the bay while paying the leases.

  3. #803
    Batticaloa Airport Renovation

    Runway work seems spot on but strangely turning circles are missing on both ends.

    http://www.airforce.lk/news.php?news=2843

  4. #804
    Quote Originally Posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
    Batticaloa Airport Renovation

    Runway work seems spot on but strangely turning circles are missing on both ends.

    http://www.airforce.lk/news.php?news=2843
    New Bitmap Image (2)
    Yes why? what is the length & width of the Batticaloa airport current runway?

  5. #805
    Quote Originally Posted by banuthev View Post
    Yes why? what is the length & width of the Batticaloa airport current runway?
    Around 45 meters width, more than enough even for an aircraft the size of an A319 to backtrack and make a 180 turn. But turning circles are an usual feature at airports without full length taxiways. The length is about 1500 meters including the area before the threshold.

  6. #806
    Quote Originally Posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
    Around 45 meters width, more than enough even for an aircraft the size of an A319 to backtrack and make a 180 turn. But turning circles are an usual feature at airports without full length taxiways. The length is about 1500 meters including the area before the threshold.
    Thanks Dilusha. Does any Domestic flights currently operating to Batticaloa?

  7. #807
    Quote Originally Posted by banuthev View Post
    Thanks Dilusha. Does any Domestic flights currently operating to Batticaloa?
    According to their website, Cinnamon Air operates daily flights from CMB to BTC. In their website, BTC is mentioned as a waterdrome but BTC is also the IATA code for Batticaloa airport.

  8. #808

    Runway closure costs Sri Lanka national airline $50 million


  9. #809
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
    I don't know why on earth AASL is still not shifting Airforce base from CMB to HRI for CMB expansion and second runway. HRI is not going to earn profit at all. To make everything right, CMB has to be developed as a main passenger and cargo airport, RML has to be become domestic & regional airport and HRI has to be a Airforce base. Very simple.

  10. #810
    Quote Originally Posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
    Around 45 meters width, more than enough even for an aircraft the size of an A319 to backtrack and make a 180 turn. But turning circles are an usual feature at airports without full length taxiways. The length is about 1500 meters including the area before the threshold.
    Still very short for jet operations even if it is wide enough. Looks like it's designed for turbo-prop operations.

    The really critical value is the pavement strength - that will determine what aircraft can land there.
    Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

  11. #811
    Quote Originally Posted by banuthev View Post
    I don't know why on earth AASL is still not shifting Airforce base from CMB to HRI for CMB expansion and second runway. HRI is not going to earn profit at all. To make everything right, CMB has to be developed as a main passenger and cargo airport, RML has to be become domestic & regional airport and HRI has to be a Airforce base. Very simple.
    All this costs money - and there is no more money. It's all been spent or stolen.

    HRI needs to be closed down asap imho - bottomless pit for money!
    Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

  12. #812
    Quote Originally Posted by ejanson65 View Post
    HRI needs to be closed down asap imho - bottomless pit for money!
    I disagree.

    UL (which I firmly believe should be disbanded immediately) and HRI are two different animals.

    UL adds no value for the country, quite the contrary.

    But as the second airport HRI is a must have and needs to be maintained. Should it have been located differently? probably YES. But now that it is operational, it must me maintained even if it costs some money.

    If UL is closed down immediately, there are plenty other airlines to pick up the slack and keep SL connected. They might even do a better job at it, if CMB airport is managed in a professional way, compared to the fees gouging hole that it is today.

    But if CMB goes out of action (like it did in July, 2001) without the use of HRI, the country will be completely isolated from the rest of the world (aviation-wise) and that is not a price we should be willing to pay.

    Besides, compared to the billions SL tax payers are throwing at UL to subsidize the airtravel of European back packers, monies spent to maintain HRI are minuscule.

  13. #813
    Quote Originally Posted by banuthev View Post
    I don't know why on earth AASL is still not shifting Airforce base from CMB to HRI for CMB expansion and second runway. HRI is not going to earn profit at all. To make everything right, CMB has to be developed as a main passenger and cargo airport, RML has to be become domestic & regional airport and HRI has to be a Airforce base. Very simple.
    I think part of the problem is the paranoia that Colombo could be attacked from air and stationing the fighters in CMB will help protect the city due to proximity. It is part of the air defenses for the capital.

    But given the current status of the SLAF fighter fleet (they have very few air-worthy crafts and no confirmation on the new acquisitions) occupying valuable real estate in CMB seems to be a moot point.

    If the government wants to remedy the situation, they could;

    1. Invest in a longer range radar to increase the early warning capabilities, thereby buying more time ahead of an attack.
    2. Choose a fighter jet that has better speed and range capabilities to accommodate the flight to and from HRI.

    I am certain the additional money spent on the above two would be a fraction of a fraction of what could be earned by properly developing CMB by removing the military elements.

    I guess the biggest challenge would be to convince the senior SLAF personnel to move from Colombo to Hambantota.

  14. #814
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
    I think part of the problem is the paranoia that Colombo could be attacked from air and stationing the fighters in CMB will help protect the city due to proximity. It is part of the air defenses for the capital.

    But given the current status of the SLAF fighter fleet (they have very few air-worthy crafts and no confirmation on the new acquisitions) occupying valuable real estate in CMB seems to be a moot point.

    If the government wants to remedy the situation, they could;

    1. Invest in a longer range radar to increase the early warning capabilities, thereby buying more time ahead of an attack.
    2. Choose a fighter jet that has better speed and range capabilities to accommodate the flight to and from HRI.

    I am certain the additional money spent on the above two would be a fraction of a fraction of what could be earned by properly developing CMB by removing the military elements.

    I guess the biggest challenge would be to convince the senior SLAF personnel to move from Colombo to Hambantota.
    I am not sure about the feasibility of HRI due to :-

    1) The massive loan hanging over it
    2) It has been developed as a civilian airport (true it can be used as a military base but it makes sense to try and utilize as a civilian facility to recover the debt)
    3) Large number of migratory bird activity - Last thing you want is fighter jets falling out due to bird strike, I have a feeling what the airforce can afford might be a single engine option unless Russia gives a credit line say to get SU-30s

    Sigiriya was always bandied around the airforce alternative preference to move the jet fleet and keeps coming up frequently but I am not sure what the status of it is.

    China bay is already housing the K-7 jet trainer aircraft so it's not much of an issue to be able to use\adapt an existing airforce base for the fighter squadron, and if they do go for 12 it might even make sense to split the squadron up?

    I used to remember in the early 90s when there was no fighters in the airforce we used to have frequent incursion into our airspace by other airforces on a daily basis, that is the main reason Premadasa acquired the F-7s. That might be the basis on why there is an eagerness to have a fighter squadron.
    Last edited by LukeSkywalker; 27-08-2016 at 12:54 PM.

  15. #815
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
    I am not sure about the feasibility of HRI due to :-

    1) The massive loan hanging over it
    2) It has been developed as a civilian airport (true it can be used as a military base but it makes sense to try and utilize as a civilian facility to recover the debt)
    3) Large number of migratory bird activity - Last thing you want is fighter jets falling out due to bird strike, I have a feeling what the airforce can afford might be a single engine option unless Russia gives a credit line say to get SU-30s

    Sigiriya was always bandied around the airforce alternative preference to move the jet fleet and keeps coming up frequently but I am not sure what the status of it is.

    China bay is already housing the K-7 jet trainer aircraft so it's not much of an issue to be able to use\adapt an existing airforce base for the fighter squadron, and if they do go for 12 it might even make sense to split the squadron up?

    I used to remember in the early 90s when there was no fighters in the airforce we used to have frequent incursion into our airspace by other airforces on a daily basis, that is the main reason Premadasa acquired the F-7s. That might be the basis on why there is an eagerness to have a fighter squadron.
    At the risk of deviating in to a military aviation discussion, in short:

    1. Sri Lanka absolutely must have a potent fighter squadron capable of running intercepts. This will act as a deterrent for intruders at the very least.

    2. Not sure if Sigiriya runway is long enough to accommodate SU-30 sized jets, but China Bay should be sufficient.

    3. Yes, MRI was purpose built as a civil and cargo airport and may not be suited to host a squadron of fighters, but given that it is not utilized, it will help if CMB can be freed by moving the military elements there.

  16. #816
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
    It looks like UL will loose money due to cancellation of most of the UL flights to India and the Maldives due to CMB runway maintenance in Jan-Apr 2017.

    Could RML be able handle A320s ? So UL can operate the India and Maldives flights out of RML between Jan-Apr 2017.

  17. #817
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
    How much would a new runway would have cost ?

  18. #818
    Quote Originally Posted by banuthev View Post
    It looks like UL will loose money due to cancellation of most of the UL flights to India and the Maldives due to CMB runway maintenance in Jan-Apr 2017.

    Could RML be able handle A320s ? So UL can operate the India and Maldives flights out of RML between Jan-Apr 2017.
    According to wiki length wise Ratmalana airport is a little over 6000 ft and should be able to handle a A320 according to Airbus specs? I am not sure about the width though; can someone else clarify?

  19. #819
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYBUCK729 View Post
    How much would a new runway would have cost ?
    According to this article the current runway overlay is costing US$48,600

    http://www.sundaytimes.lk/160828/bus...ay-206213.html

    I am not sure how much building a new runway at BIA would cost, there is the additional cost of moving the air force infrastructure as well.

    There is this interesting article on how much it cost to build a new runway in Fort Lauderdale (US $ 750 million) http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...roject-manager, but it shouldn't be as high in SL due to the labor costs.

    Does anyone have figures on how much the runway cost for HRI?

  20. #820

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts