This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kennny15 View Post
    Feb 15, Colombo: The project to improve the facilities of Sri Lanka's main Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) in order to cope with air traffic which has been remarkably increased in 2013 , has received the cabinet nod to proceed.
    VCBI seriously need a second brand new terminal in order to handle the increased pax/flights demand. They should start the VCBI's Phase 2 project as soon as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Banuthev View Post
      VCBI seriously need a second brand new terminal in order to handle the increased pax/flights demand. They should start the VCBI's Phase 2 project as soon as possible.
      well said. it literally does, plus the existing terminal also needs at least refurbishments especially the lower ground bus gates area and the immediate upper level area right after the escalator.

besides all this right after immigration in arrivals right from the duty free area till baggage conveyor belts it needs major renovations i feel.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4R-ALA View Post
        well said. it literally does, plus the existing terminal also needs at least refurbishments especially the lower ground bus gates area and the immediate upper level area right after the escalator.

besides all this right after immigration in arrivals right from the duty free area till baggage conveyor belts it needs major renovations i feel.
        Well said, the existing terminal is showing its age already. Maybe they should retile the older sections with the same marble tiles found in the new section. Also if they want they could redo the ceiling in a newer style.

Also a link in German about UL's Serendib Lounge which apparently was renovated recently:
        SriLankan Airlines hat ihre „Serendib“-Lounge am Flughafen Colombo wiedereröffnet. Die renovierten und neugestalteten Räumlichkeiten ...

If anyone has more pictures please share!

Comment

• Marginal upswing in traffic at BIA

View(s):

Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), the country’s main airport, handled 7.3 million passengers in 2013, a marginal increase from the previous year’s seven million, according to statistics by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

The CAA, releasing figures for last year, said the total passenger movements increased to 7, 311, 869 last year compared to 7, 079,920 in 2012, which is exceed the current capacity of six million at the BIA.

Aircraft movements at the BIA also increased to 53, 791 last year compared to 51, 308 in 2012, statistics indicated.

A significant increase in cargo was noted at 191,224,402 kg for 2013 compared to 187,388,070 kg in the previous year. Mail generated a marginal increase upto 1,815,608 kg in last year compared to 1,813,775 kg in 2012.

In view of increasing use of the airport, the authorities would be commencing work on Stage II Phase II of the Japanese funded Yen 28 billion expansion project at the BIA by the end of this year that would lift capacity to nine million. The project wouldbe completed by the end of 2016.

This would provide for a larger area space for the terminal with eight gates; a bigger apron and taxiways connecting them including a car park with a multi-storey (03) shopping area plus highway connected to the new terminal’s departure and arrival areas.

The new design to be submitted by July would provide for a green terminal utilizing the sun with more eco friendly concepts incorporated. (SD)
          Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), the country’s main airport, handled 7.3 million passengers in 2013, a marginal increase from the previous year’s

Good to see they are redesigning the new terminal to make it more up to date!

Comment

• Sri Lankan authorities to set up domestic airport in Palavi in Puttalam district

Sun, Feb 16, 2014, 01:19 pm SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

Feb 16, Colombo: Aviation Authorities in Sri Lanka plan to set up a domestic airport in Palavi in the Puttalam District of Northwestern Province in order to create an easy access to the Kalpitiya Tourism Zone.

Secretary to the Civil Aviation Ministry, Dr. Ravindra Ruberu told the media that a feasibility study has already been carried out and the report on setting up a domestic airport in Puttalam will be made this month.

He said the airport is expected to be completed within a period of two years.

The airstrip that has been identified for the project had a historical significance since it was extensively used during World War II, he added.

However, the proposed development is reportedly facing a few problems since the cement factory in Puttalam was in line with the runway.

The runway was therefore likely to be shifted from its present location.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordvader View Post
              Well said, the existing terminal is showing its age already. Maybe they should retile the older sections with the same marble tiles found in the new section. Also if they want they could redo the ceiling in a newer style.

Also a link in German about UL's Serendib Lounge which apparently was renovated recently:
              SriLankan Airlines hat ihre „Serendib“-Lounge am Flughafen Colombo wiedereröffnet. Die renovierten und neugestalteten Räumlichkeiten ...

If anyone has more pictures please share!
              exactly i was thinking the same to re-tile the old areas with new area tiles version. plus they could actually bring some sort of tropical/buddist theme in order to promote sri lankan culture just hw BKK has done - it looks very good i feel.

Comment

• Hello,
                have anybody news because of repair the start/landing strip in CMB?
                Should start in February?

Comment

• MRIA handles 1,800 flight movements during 11 months
                  By Ravi Ladduwahetty

Chairman of Airport and Aviation Services Colonel Prasanna Wickremasuriya said that the Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport during the 11 months since it was commissioned handled more than 1,800 flights movements.

According to him, one of the world's leading airlines, Emirates, would use Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport for refuelling and for technical checkups, paving the way for Sri Lanka to become South Asia's Regional Hub. Negotiations were ongoing for Emirates to land its Dubai-Sydney flight at the Mattala Airport, this would mark a milestone achievement for Sri Lanka's aviation industry.

The Dubai-based carrier has already completed a series of surveys at the Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport according to Wickremasuriya, who said that's the Emirates A-380 flight to Sydney would go via Mattala soon.
                  According to him Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport has the expertise and infrastructure to handle the Airbus A-380 aircraft. Sri Lanka is also expecting Australia's National Carrier Qantas to also follow suit for refuelling and technical checkups at Mattala already flying over Sri Lankan air space. LMFAO

Wickremasuriya admitted that the current carriers which touched down at the Mattala airport included the two national carriers, SriLankan Airlines and Mihin Air, along with Fly Dubai which has two daily frequencies to and from there, however negotiations were ongoing with other carriers to arrive and departure from Mattala.
                  Many airlines have listed Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport as an alternative airport to Bandaranaike International Airport.

According to him the usual London-Colombo flight required 6,000 litres of fuel, which could be reduced to 5,000 litres, paving the way for additional passengers and cargo.
                  In its expansion efforts funded through a loan from the Japan International Cooperation Agency, Airport Consultants from Japan have been appointed to create the designs for the second phase of Bandaranaike International Airport at Katunayake, which would enable it to handle 9 million more passengers by 2016.
                  Airport and Aviation Services in collaboration with the national SriLankan Airlines to proceed in a maintenance, repair and overhaul facility.

Comment

• Guys.. can anybody tell me when BIA is ready for A380 super jumbos.... i was told by one of my friends who works for UL, that BIA runway is not wide enough to handle super jumbo A380....
                    i think if BIA ready for super jumbo, then most of these giant air lines will use BIA as their destination.. cos everyone prefers BIA over MRIA
                    Ministers have repeatedly saying this air line that air line is gonna come to MRIA.. but still except UL no one is really flying there.. even for UL we have no reason to say why this loss making air line is flying to MRIA without a single passenger get in or get down.
                    needless to say MRIA is white elephant. now Minister is saying that MRIA has handled 1800 flights for 11 months.. this means 5 flights per day.. we know this is not true..there are hardly two flights per day.. Just go Click here and see...
                    i have seen so many statements made by these honorable ministers saying that Qatar air lines is coming to MRIA next month, Ethihad is coming to MIRA next montha so on. remember according our honorable ministers Air Arabia will soon resume their service to MRIA for last eight months...
                    what a shame..

Comment

• Originally posted by vishwa View Post
                      Guys.. can anybody tell me when BIA is ready for A380 super jumbos.... i was told by one of my friends who works for UL, that BIA runway is not wide enough to handle super jumbo A380....
                      i think if BIA ready for super jumbo, then most of these giant air lines will use BIA as their destination.. cos everyone prefers BIA over MRIA
                      Ministers have repeatedly saying this air line that air line is gonna come to MRIA.. but still except UL no one is really flying there.. even for UL we have no reason to say why this loss making air line is flying to MRIA without a single passenger get in or get down.
                      needless to say MRIA is white elephant. now Minister is saying that MRIA has handled 1800 flights for 11 months.. this means 5 flights per day.. we know this is not true..there are hardly two flights per day.. Just go Click here and see...
                      i have seen so many statements made by these honorable ministers saying that Qatar air lines is coming to MRIA next month, Ethihad is coming to MIRA next montha so on. remember according our honorable ministers Air Arabia will soon resume their service to MRIA for last eight months...
                      what a shame..
                      if BIA runway isnt big enough to handle an A380, then how come Emirates A380 did a technical stopover back in winter 2012. (although i'm not sure abt the exact date, i do very well recall EK A380 landing at BIA)

Comment

• This article was in 2002.Just imagine if this project went off,where would have BIA been right now.
                        http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aGOdNGDMLMGY

Comment

• Originally posted by 4R-ALA View Post
                          if BIA runway isn't big enough to handle an A380, then how come Emirates A380 did a technical stopover back in winter 2012. (although i'm not sure abt the exact date, i do very well recall EK A380 landing at BIA)
                          No no the thing is, when jumbo A380 is landing, the two engines are on the turf but not in the runway... for an emergency landing you don't mind but for a regular service the runway should be wider enough..
                          when engines are out of runway.. there can be situation where external particles can go inside the engine which is dangerous...

Comment

• Pls do not get me wrong.. this is what you called a visionary government..
                            this was planned during UNP regime... but see what is happening now.. no investors have faith in investing here..
                            even those who have come now freezing their investment... Shangrila is the classic example (click here)...

so do not expect anything more than just Chinese..

Comment

• Originally posted by vishwa View Post
                              Pls do not get me wrong.. this is what you called a visionary government..
                              this was planned during UNP regime... but see what is happening now.. no investors have faith in investing here..
                              even those who have come now freezing their investment... Shangrila is the classic example (click here)...

so do not expect anything more than just Chinese..
                              Very well said bro.

Comment

• Originally posted by Srilankan1 View Post
                                Very well said bro.
                                One Joker agreeing with another! Just like Ranil

Comment

Working...
                                X