This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rahmy221 View Post

How long they have been doing this construction work ? The airport doesn't give good impression for the passengers.

Comment

• Prefab terminal for Sri Lanka airport after expansion delay

Dec 15, 2017 09:10 AM GMT+0530

ECONOMYNEXT - Sri Lanka is planning to install a pre-fabricated terminal as a stop gap solution after a delay in awarding a contract to expand capacity at the island's main airport which is running at almost double its capacity.

Sri Lanka's Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), owned by state-run Airport and Aviation Services Ltd (AASL), handled 9.5 million passengers in 2016, though it is designed to handle only 6 million passengers a year.

A Japanese funded project to expand the terminal to 15 million passengers was originally scheduled to be completed by 2020, but a delay in the award of the contract has pushed the date back to 2022.

"Increasing the capacity of the BIA expanding facilities in multifaceted is important requirement in terms of the development of the aviation industry and the tourism industry in the country," a Finance Ministry report said.

"Nevertheless, AASL has not yet finalized the procurement process of BIA phase II stage 2 expansion project which need to be completed by 2020 to meet the increasing demand of another 2 million passengers."

Transport and Civil Aviation Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva was given the nod by the cabinet of ministers to set up a pre-fabricated terminal which could handle up to 400 passengers an hour (about 3.5 million passengers a year).

The prefab terminal is expected to be running by 2018.

Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena had ignored opposition protests and a Supreme Court ruling when passing the Online Safety Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by Serendib View Post
        Prefab terminal for Sri Lanka airport after expansion delay

ECONOMYNEXT - Sri Lanka is planning to install a pre-fabricated terminal as a stop gap solution after a delay in awarding a contract to expand capacity at the island's main airport which is running at almost double its capacity.

Sri Lanka's Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), owned by state-run Airport and Aviation Services Ltd (AASL), handled 9.5 million passengers in 2016, though it is designed to handle only 6 million passengers a year.

A Japanese funded project to expand the terminal to 15 million passengers was originally scheduled to be completed by 2020, but a delay in the award of the contract has pushed the date back to 2022.

"Increasing the capacity of the BIA expanding facilities in multifaceted is important requirement in terms of the development of the aviation industry and the tourism industry in the country," a Finance Ministry report said.

"Nevertheless, AASL has not yet finalized the procurement process of BIA phase II stage 2 expansion project which need to be completed by 2020 to meet the increasing demand of another 2 million passengers."

Transport and Civil Aviation Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva was given the nod by the cabinet of ministers to set up a pre-fabricated terminal which could handle up to 400 passengers an hour (about 3.5 million passengers a year).

http://www.economynext.com/Prefab_te...-3-9361-6.html
        Where exactly this terminal going to be built at CMB ? any more info?

Comment

• Originally posted by Serendib View Post
          Prefab terminal for Sri Lanka airport after expansion delay

http://www.economynext.com/Prefab_te...-3-9361-6.html
          Another Yaha palana scheme to rob the country!

Comment

• In recent videos I've seen on youtube, there seams to me construction of a tarmac near the cargo building. Does anyone have any information about this? Is this what the temporary terminal is?

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
              Where exactly this terminal going to be built at CMB ? any more info?
              In efforts to boost passenger capacity at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport the Kenya Airports Authority has put up a prefabricated terminal with a capacity of 2.5 million passengers for both domestic and international passengers.

In efforts to boost passenger capacity at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport the Kenya Airports Authority has put up a prefabricated terminal with a cap...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sidekicker View Post
                In recent videos I've seen on youtube, there seams to me construction of a tarmac near the cargo building. Does anyone have any information about this? Is this what the temporary terminal is?
                Could you please share the link of the video? Is it being built at the far end near cargo building ? Its better to leave the middle area vacant for the modern terminal which is expected to be built in 2020. So they don't need demolish the prefab terminal.

Originally posted by Max View Post
                In efforts to boost passenger capacity at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport the Kenya Airports Authority has put up a prefabricated terminal with a capacity of 2.5 million passengers for both domestic and international passengers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH3JUx0m5jM
                Thanks. Any pictures of construction work ?

Hi Haleef/Harsha - Do you have any updates and information about the construction work of interim terminal at CMB?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sidekicker View Post
                  In recent videos I've seen on youtube, there seams to me construction of a tarmac near the cargo building. Does anyone have any information about this? Is this what the temporary terminal is?
                  That's the large apron with remote gates....part of Phase II
                  Last edited by dilushasg-bdavi; 19-12-2017, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev
                    Hi Haleef/Harsha - Do you have any updates and information about the construction work of interim terminal at CMB?
                    Hi! Saw the the departure walkway had been renovated in an okay way. Now there is enough light inside the walkway, as transparent roofs have been placed. Other than that check-in areas are really crowded and really slow, and it does not seem like an airport in that way, more like a fish market. People don't know where to go, what to do, whom to contact for assistance.

I also saw a paved area next to Apron Charlie, and it seems to be another Apron being constructed. As said before by a member, possibility of it becoming a remote parking bay. Unfortunately I could not take pictures as I was in the flight deck of UL828 and it was during dusk (Past 1900hrs).
                    Haleef Ismail
                    www.youtube.com/haleef1 | www.instagram.com/cmb_spotter

Comment

• Originally posted by Haleef View Post
                      Hi! Saw the the departure walkway had been renovated in an okay way. Now there is enough light inside the walkway, as transparent roofs have been placed. Other than that check-in areas are really crowded and really slow, and it does not seem like an airport in that way, more like a fish market. People don't know where to go, what to do, whom to contact for assistance.

I also saw a paved area next to Apron Charlie, and it seems to be another Apron being constructed. As said before by a member, possibility of it becoming a remote parking bay. Unfortunately I could not take pictures as I was in the flight deck of UL828 and it was during dusk (Past 1900hrs).
                      I understand the construction of terminal 2 pier with 8 boarding bridges have been delayed due to finance problems. May be the paved area next to Apron Charlie is a construction of Apron Echo ? As per previous plans Apron Echo will have 17 parking bays.

i would suggest the prefab terminal better be built between Apron Echo and Apron Charlie. So the prefab terminal can be used for LCC airlines.

Is it true the cleanness of CMB is very poor ?

Hi Paul & Sandaru - Do you have any construction update on CMB ?

I really can't wait to see the completed Phase 2 as shown below.

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Banuthev,
                        No visible construction is going on at the moment regarding a new terminal.

Comment

• Thanks for the pictures! What is the exact location where these pictures were taken at CMB?

Comment

Thanks. Any pictures of construction work ?
                            No pictures available.

Still no progress of BIA expansion but other regional airports moving ahead.

Proposed Passenger Terminal at Tiruchirapalli International Airport | TRZ

Due for completion in 2020.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures! What is the exact location where these pictures were taken at CMB?
                              Pics are on the departure side. Exactly what I was talking about earlier, what I saw when I walked through the departure pathway.
                              Haleef Ismail
                              www.youtube.com/haleef1 | www.instagram.com/cmb_spotter

Comment

Working...
                              X