Aviation History

News Headlines..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Arrow Aviation History

Please use this thread to discuss on topics of "Sri Lanka Aviation History".

Air Ceylon's DC 3 at Ratmalana Airport in Ceylon

Source : http://vernoncorea.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/air-ceylon/

Hello all, does anyone know the former registration of the HS.748 at the beach near Kalutara AFB in the South at the beach housing the Catalina Bar.

Many thanks in advance

Chris
    Skyliner - aviation news & more
    www.skyliner-aviation.de

I think Sri Lanka had only two HS 748s. Am I correct ? Anyone know the current status of 4R-ACJ or 4R-ACR ?
    http://ipm.comxa.com/alkva/ac-prop.html

Quote Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
    Hello all, does anyone please know the former registration of the HS.748 at the beach near Kalutara AFB in the South at the beach housing the Catalina Bar.

Many thanks in advance

Chris
    www.skyliner-aviation.de

Quote Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
    Hello all, does anyone know the former registration of the HS.748 at the beach near Kalutara AFB in the South at the beach housing the Catalina Bar.

Many thanks in advance

Chris
    www.skyliner-aviation.de
    4R-LPV. Its from Sri Lanka air force From lion air I think it was a white one they painted it in blue red yellow and white etc

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    I think Sri Lanka had only two HS 748s. Am I correct ? Anyone know the current status of 4R-ACJ or 4R-ACR ?
    http://ipm.comxa.com/alkva/ac-prop.html
    Hawker Siddeley HS 748s in Sri Lanka

Aero Lanka (1) http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/4R-SER.html
    Air Ceylon (2) http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/4R-ACJ.html , http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/4R-ACR.html
    Lionair (1) http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/4R-LPV.html

Quote Originally Posted by Serendib View Post
    As I know Due to poor management and all the russian pilots have boycotted their duty and few antonov aircraft return to the lessor.

Golden old days!! LTU in Colombo !! Guess when was this?

Thanks to Wordtraveller59 for sharing the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Banuthev View Post
    Golden old days!! LTU in Colombo !! Guess when was this?[/URL]

Thanks to Wordtraveller59 for sharing the picture.

Good old L1011s missed them a lot Why LTU stopped their service??? War???

Quote Originally Posted by umedhah View Post
    If I recall it correctly, LTU had a strong presence in Germany-Sri Lanka route as LTU connected various cities in Germany from Sri Lanka. i.e. Frankfurt, Munich, Berlin and Dusseldorf. I wonder why all the German Airlines suddenly stopped flying to Sri Lanka. I don't think the reason is "WAR" which is already completed but still German Airlines not showed any interest in flying into Sri Lanka route.

Quote Originally Posted by umedhah View Post
    LTU merged with Air Berlin in 2009

Even KLM which used to fly to Srilanka some time ago did not start operations yet. They operated a flight from AMS to CMB via DMM and also to Sydney via Colombo. Even now there is no direct flights to Amsterdam from Colombo

Quote Originally Posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
    LTU merged with Air Berlin in 2009
    That's right. Air Berlin is part of ONEWORLD hopefully they may consider fly directly to Sri Lanka..

Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Even KLM which used to fly to Srilanka some time ago did not start operations yet. They operated a flight from AMS to CMB via DMM and also to Sydney via Colombo. Even now there is no direct flights to Amsterdam from Colombo
    After a suspension of KLM flights to Colombo, KLM's subsidery Martin Air launched Colombo with a seasonal services. Unfortunately it didn't last long as Martin Air switch focus on only Cargo operations from 2007.

There are so many European Airlines flew to Colombo on those days i.e. British Airways, KLM, AOM Frenchie, Condor Flug, LTU, Aeroflot, CSA Czech, Finnair, Austrian Airlines, Balkan Bulgarian Airlines, Air Europe, Cyprus Airways etc .. Anybody wish to add the airlines which I missed to mention here.

Smile

That's right. Air Berlin is part of ONEWORLD hopefully they may consider fly directly to Sri Lanka..

After a suspension of KLM flights to Colombo, KLM's subsidery Martin Air launched Colombo with a seasonal services. Unfortunately it didn't last long as Martin Air switch focus on only Cargo operations from 2007.

There are so many European Airlines flew to Colombo on those days i.e. British Airways, KLM, AOM Frenchie, Condor Flug, LTU, Aeroflot, CSA Czech, Finnair, Austrian Airlines, Balkan Bulgarian Airlines, Air Europe, Cyprus Airways etc .. Anybody wish to add the airlines which I missed to mention here.
    How can you forget UTA and Air France

plus Martinair

I know this isn't a European carrier, but Trans World Airlines (which went out of business in early 2000s), used to serve Colombo with a Constellation back in the day. It used to come via Europe, the Middle East and Bombay. As far as I know, that is the only American carrier that ever operated to Sri Lanka. Various charter airlines have come in and out. ArkeFly more recently flew from AMS-CMB via Goa Dabolim, and JetAirFly had a flight from Brussels as recent as 2010. Ukraine International Airlines had a short tenure serving CMB, I believe coming using a 737-300 via DXB.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    How can you forget UTA and Air France

plus Martinair
    Balkan & Air France never flew to Colombo

Air France and Balkan Bulgarian airlines already operated Colombo service in late 90s and early 2000s.And there was a another one weekly flight,I'm not remember what is that air line or flight type. But it flew Brussels-Colombo -Male -Brussels untill 24-07-2001 As CT615 .Anyone know?