Aviation History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serendib View Post
    What airlines did fly from Johannesburg to Colombo?
    Did South African fly to CMB at all?
    ​Umedha Hettigoda ®

https://banners-my.flightradar24.com/umedhah.png

Comment

Originally posted by umedhah View Post
      Did South African fly to CMB at all?
      Yes, South African launched the Colombo flights in 1976 and it was flying JOH-SEZ-CMB-HKG until 1980s. After Colombo terminated in 1980s, South African launched the nonstop flights on JOH-HKG. CMB and HKG were the only Asian destinations for South African until 1980s but CMB lost the market after it was started struggling due to civil war in 1983.

Did you know Air Lanka was flying South Africa in 1990s?

Comment

Originally posted by banuthev View Post
        Yes, South African launched the Colombo flights in 1976 and it was flying JOH-SEZ-CMB-HKG until 1980s. After Colombo terminated in 1980s, South African launched the nonstop flights on JOH-HKG. CMB and HKG were the only Asian destinations for South African until 1980s but CMB lost the market after it was started struggling due to civil war in 1983.

Did you know Air Lanka was flying South Africa in 1990s?
        Wow cool. I guess it was L1011 s? If so with a stopover? A340-300s would have been able to fly directly
        ​Umedha Hettigoda ®

Comment

Wow cool. I guess it was L1011 s? If so with a stopover? A340-300s would have been able to fly directly
          Air Lanka begun Durban and Johannesburg flights together in June 1996 on board state of art A340. It was a triangular flights e.g. CMB-DUR-JOH-CMB. Really sad the airline had to cancel route in Apr 1997 due to some haters protest to stop people to fly on Air Lanka. Really sad until now our national airline is still struggling in the hand of some of political morons.

Its making me angry because most of Sri Lanka citizen doesn't like their own country and hate to fly on our national carrier. it's not because of only the airline service. it's because they hate their own country.

Flight Schedule is below : -

TUE - UL701 – CMB : 01:00 – DUR : 05:55

TUE – UL702 – DUR : 07:15 – JOH : 08:20

TUE - UL702 – JOH : 09:40 – CMB : 22:25

FRI – UL701 – CMB : 09:45 – DUR : 14:40

FRI – UL702 – DUR : 16:00 – JOH : 17:05

FRI – UL702 – JOH : 18:25 – CMB : 07:10+1

Hi Umedha, What do you think of Air Lanka's decision on flying to South Africa instead of Australia in 1996?

Hi Skybuck729,

Any idea how does the Air Lanka did on the South Africa route in 1996 before the protested not to fly on Air Lanka?

Comment

Air Lanka begun Durban and Johannesburg flights together in June 1996 on board state of art A340.
            I Think , it was a rather unpopular and unprofitable route. I have heard that one day An A340 flew out from CMB , to South Africa with only 3 revenue pax. ( don't know how far it's true )

Comment

Air Lanka begun Durban and Johannesburg flights together in June 1996 on board state of art A340. It was a triangular flights e.g. CMB-DUR-JOH-CMB. Really sad the airline had to cancel route in Apr 1997 due to some haters protest to stop people to fly on Air Lanka. Really sad until now our national airline is still struggling in the hand of some of political morons.

Its making me angry because most of Sri Lanka citizen doesn't like their own country and hate to fly on our national carrier. it's not because of only the airline service. it's because they hate their own country.

Flight Schedule is below : -

TUE - UL701 – CMB : 01:00 – DUR : 05:55

TUE – UL702 – DUR : 07:15 – JOH : 08:20

TUE - UL702 – JOH : 09:40 – CMB : 22:25

FRI – UL701 – CMB : 09:45 – DUR : 14:40

FRI – UL702 – DUR : 16:00 – JOH : 17:05

FRI – UL702 – JOH : 18:25 – CMB : 07:10+1

Hi Umedha, What do you think of Air Lanka's decision on flying to South Africa instead of Australia in 1996?

Hi Skybuck729,

Any idea how does the Air Lanka did on the South Africa route in 1996 before the protested not to fly on Air Lanka?

I guess AU is a better option than SA. Not many SriLankans in SA compared to AU
              ​Umedha Hettigoda ®

Comment

Originally posted by SKYBUCK729 View Post
                I Think , it was a rather unpopular and unprofitable route. I have heard that one day An A340 flew out from CMB , to South Africa with only 3 revenue pax. ( don't know how far it's true )
                What's the reason the South Africa couldn't make revenue for Air Lanka? There is a large South Indian community are living in Durban. Those days even ME3 didn't fly to South Africa. Why does Air Lanka couldn't tab the South Africa market?

Comment

I guess AU is a better option than SA. Not many SriLankans in SA compared to AU
                  Hi Umedha,

Would you believe British Airways also operated Johannesburg - Colombo route in 1970s?

Hi Sandaru,

Guess the name of the both the airline and airport in the picture?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Umedha,

Would you believe British Airways also operated Johannesburg - Colombo route in 1970s?

Hi Sandaru,

Guess the name of the both the airline and airport in the picture?
                    By looking at the tail, I can say that it's a British Airways aircraft. And it's Colombo for sure!! What is the aircraft type by the way? McDonald Douglas?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandaru View Post
                      By looking at the tail, I can say that it's a British Airways aircraft. And it's Colombo for sure!! What is the aircraft type by the way? McDonald Douglas?
                      That is a BAC 111 or maybe a VC-10

Comment

What's the reason the South Africa couldn't make revenue for Air Lanka? There is a large South Indian community are living in Durban. Those days even ME3 didn't fly to South Africa. Why does Air Lanka couldn't tab the South Africa market?
                        MAY be, due to poor marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
                          That is a BAC 111 or maybe a VC-10
                          It is a British Airways VC-10.
                          Air Ceylon also operated the same aircraft type in 1960s, in-collaboration with BOAC.
                          Details: ipm.comxa.com/alkva/ac-jet.html#vc10

Comment

British Airways operated VC10 on all Colombo flights in 1977.

Here are the routes: -

London – Doha – Colombo – Hong Kong – TOKYO – Hong Kong – Colombo – Bombay – Doha – London 1 V10 922 / 913

London – Doha – Colombo – BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN – Colombo – Bombay – Doha – London 1 V10 748 / 759

Johannesburg – Seychelles – Colombo – TOKYO – Hong Kong – Colombo – Seychelles – Johannesburg 1 V10 914 / 965

Did BA had the 5th freedom rights between Colombo, and Doha, Seychelles, Brunei and Hong Kong?

Comment

Originally posted by milair View Post
                              It is a British Airways VC-10.
                              Air Ceylon also operated the same aircraft type in 1960s, in-collaboration with BOAC.
                              Details: ipm.comxa.com/alkva/ac-jet.html#vc10
                              How many VC10s were in service with Air Ceylon fleet in 1960? How long they were operating?

Comment

How many VC10s were in service with Air Ceylon fleet in 1960? How long they were operating?
                                Probably only one. And it was never painted in the Air Ceylon livery.

Comment

Working...
                                X