Sri Lanka Military Aviation

News Headlines..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Conspiracy is a crazy theory. Our economy is in trouble. That is totally true. If we modernize our Armed Forces, we should do that according to our economy.

Policy makers should have clear idea(Which they don't have) what are the priorities.

We all know that we don't have any external threat. Assume that we have, as a small country with small economy we cannot go to war except solve that using diplomatic mission.

We CANNOT say "Now there is no internal threat!!" This is what happen in 1970/80s. Our military was unable to tackle insurgency in north mainly due to lack of resources. If we were able to control LTTE in their early days, We are not in a situation like this..

Yes we don't have internal threat now,but how can you so sure there will be anything in future?? Nothing is impossible

And all of us know that constitutional reforms are coming. Most of the powers will be given to regions like Land, Police,etc. At least Central government should have strong Armed Force to tackle any challenges.

I'm not saying that we need bunch of Russian Frigates, a dozen Mig 29s, Large Cargo Planes , 100 attack helicopters. We won the war using those???? We won the war against one of most ruthless terrorist organization using 2nd hand, old arsenel. That is why I said Policy makers should think about needs of the country.

But maintaining Armed Forces comparing to our economy is mandatory and one of top priority. Otherwise if we have to face another insurgency or what ever like recent civil war, It is better to delete this thread, because nothing will left in Sri Lanka to talk.
    Yes now the war is over...why for a change look inwards and think why did it start in first place and how did LKY had a same issue in 60's but he managed it well

LKY build a strong economy, rule of law and strong educated workforce.

Most of current economic woes in Sri Lanka are due to previous govt economic destruction...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post

We CANNOT say "Now there is no internal threat!!" This is what happen in 1970/80s. Our military was unable to tackle insurgency in north mainly due to lack of resources. If we were able to control LTTE in their early days, We are not in a situation like this..
    You can shoot me for saying this, the country is at catch 22: The huge number of armed force personnel need to be employed

Hence the Previous Def Sec's attempts to make them into farming etc .. but in my honest opinon, when a state starts to do things they aren't supposed to, they kill the private sector, like Indonesia .. example, the SLAF competing for tours with private - you can say what you want, but me says, WRONG, in so many levels.

And the other issue: nobody wants to bite the bullet, and demoblise the forces, and build up only a small force, with the rest on reservist basis, like Singapore, or Korea.

The problem is, there is corruption in every level, and nobody wants to be the bad boy, for implementing painful reforms.

So solution: keep buying more and more, spend more and more ..

PS, I really wonder what went through the minds of the folks who decided the russian frigate is a good buy !!!

What SL Needs, in case not spelt out, strong COIN ops, strong maritime reconnaissance, strong long range patrols

Getting Mig 29s, A Frigates (And only one .. ) more Mi 17s, all will only help the commission folks make $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    Yes now the war is over...why for a change look inwards and think why did it start in first place and how did LKY had a same issue in 60's but he managed it well

LKY build a strong economy, rule of law and strong educated workforce.

Most of current economic woes in Sri Lanka are due to previous govt economic destruction...
    Why did it start ?

That's the classical diversion tactic. Like those who wanted to evict the refugees, while there are Sri Lankans claiming refuge in HK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_in_Hong_Kong

As long as politicians play merry go round, take turns to earn, different seats but same interest of making $, and more interested in winning elections than doing what's good for the country ..
    Last edited by ecureilx; 16-10-2017 at 02:13 AM.

I spotted a SLAF MIG 27 being transported by road on container trailers towards Rathmalana Airport at around 10.20 PM yesterday (16th October). Does anyone know why?

Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post
    I spotted a SLAF MIG 27 being transported by road on container trailers towards Rathmalana Airport at around 10.20 PM yesterday (16th October). Does anyone know why?
    Probably Placing it in the Museum?