X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Max View Post
    Sri Lanka proposes increase in defence spending for 2018

The Sri Lankan government has proposed a 2018 defence budget of LKR290.7 billion (USD1.9 billion). The allocation is contained in the 2018 appropriation bill, which was presented to Sri Lanka’s parliament on 9 October.

The defence budget amounts to about 7% of total government expenditure for 2018, and marks a 2.3% increase over 2017 military expenditure, which totalled LKR284 billion.

http://www.janes.com/article/74751/s...fence-spending
    Govt plans on adding many naval ships to the SLN and SLCG,wonder what's happening to the fighter jet acquisition program.

Comment

• SLAF going to upgrade and return to service its five grounded Kfir fighters....

Janes | The latest defence and security news from Janes - the trusted source for defence intelligence

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy View Post
        SLAF going to upgrade and return to service its five grounded Kfir fighters....

http://www.janes.com/article/76335/i...sri-lanka-atac
        This looks more like IAI trying to market an upgrade than SLAF wanting it. I am not sure if there is any point in spending more money in 30/40 year old air frames.

Comment

• UFO hovers across the country

Date - 2017-01-22

An Unidentified Flying Object (UFO) hovering in the skies had been spotted in several areas of the country on Saturday night.

Witnesses said the round-shaped object radiated a bright light. However, as captured by telescopes it was a bright, square shaped object with a moving core.

The UFO was reported to have been spotted clearly in the western skies in Ratnapura, Hambantota, Galle and Matara around 7.15 pm.

An Unidentified Flying Object (UFO) hovering in the skies had been spotted in several areas of the country on Saturday night. ..

Aliens on Earth: Pentagon ran secret multi-million dollar UFO programme

The Pentagon has been running a secret multi-million dollar programme to investigate Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs), US media report.

Only a small number of officials were aware of the programme, which began in 2007 and was reportedly closed in 2012.

The New York Times says documents from the operation describe strange speeding aircraft and hovering objects.

The Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Programme was the brainchild of Harry Reid, a retired Democratic senator who was the Senate majority leader at the time.

He told the New York Times: "I'm not embarrassed or ashamed or sorry I got this thing going. I've done something that no one has done before."

The programme is reported to have cost the Department of Defense more than $20 million before it was shut down in order to save costs.

Although its funding ended in 2012, officials have reportedly continued to investigate sightings of unusual aerial phenomena and suspicious objects alongside their daily duties.

Earlier this year, the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) released millions of pages of declassified documents online.

The records included UFO sightings and a collection of reports on flying saucers.

US media reports say documents from the operation describe strange aircraft and hovering objects.

Comment

• flight N581 from Ratmalana is actually a SLAF Mi-17 helicopter.(I tracked it and saw it!)

Comment

• Originally posted by SLD View Post
              flight N581 from Ratmalana is actually a SLAF Mi-17 helicopter.(I tracked it and saw it!)
              Yes, even N582. It's the White UN helicopter. But before the white helicopter was here, N581 was the tracker for a Cessna 172 of Fairway Aviation.
              Haleef Ismail
              www.youtube.com/haleef1 | www.instagram.com/cmb_spotter

Comment

• SLAF has started rehearsals for the 70th independence day celebrations.
                A Kfir just flew over my house!!!
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/150880199@N02/25110263487/in/dateposted-public/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/150880...posted-public/
                Last edited by SLD; 30-01-2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• Thanks SLD. Looking forward to see more pictures

SLD & Haleef - do you have any plans to do photos during the independence day celebrations?

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
                    Thanks SLD. Looking forward to see more pictures

SLD & Haleef - do you have any plans to do photos during the independence day celebrations?
                    Yes! Nice pictures by the way! Will post on the forum! Going to do a shoot on the 4th!
                    Haleef Ismail

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
                      Thanks SLD. Looking forward to see more pictures

I'll try my best but the weather forecast shows that it is not a time to take outside pics

Does any one know the flight paths of the fighter jets or other SLAF planes after they pass Galle face?

Comment

I'll try my best but the weather forecast shows that it is not a time to take outside pics

Does any one know the flight paths of the fighter jets or other SLAF planes after they pass Galle face?
                        Rehearsals are there today. Flightpath for the helicopters and Y12s will be over the landside heading towards Ratmalana airbase. Possibility of the C130, AN32 and MA60 to also come towards Ratmalana. Rest will head to Katunayake and other areas beyond.

*^route can change.
                        Haleef Ismail

Comment

• Originally posted by Haleef View Post
                          Rehearsals are there today. Flightpath for the helicopters and Y12s will be over the landside heading towards Ratmalana airbase. Possibility of the C130, AN32 and MA60 to also come towards Ratmalana. Rest will head to Katunayake and other areas beyond.

*^route can change.
                          But the Kfir that I photographed went flying southwards.

Comment

But the Kfir that I photographed went flying southwards.
                            A SLAF fighter jet (probably a Kfir) went over Nugegoda at sub-sonic speed South-west wards.(12.15pm)
                            Can any one at least predict the flight path?

or does anyone know the time allocated for the SLAF for there performance in the rehearsals?

Comment

A SLAF fighter jet (probably a Kfir) went over Nugegoda at sub-sonic speed South-west wards.(12.15pm)

or does anyone know the time allocated for the SLAF for there performance in the rehearsals?
                              The fly past today was @ around 12.30.

Comment

10.30am will be the flypast on the 4th. Rehearsal timings can vary as there is no specific time. The Kfir performs at the Independence day twice. It first goes alone towards the event and starts off the flypast, then it will track over land and join the two F-7 fighters to end off the flypast.
                                Haleef Ismail

Comment

Working...
                                X