Sri Lanka Military Aviation
Mobile View

 

 

News Headlines..
   



 

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16
Results 301 to 307 of 307
  1. #301
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    Were they new when they purchased?
    Because they are very old
    They were already 25+ years old during the time of purchase IIRC. I think they were the stored fleet from Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan? They are probably grounded because parts are expensive to source as it's out of manufacture and not many airforces fly them anymore. I think the Indians were doing some license manufacturering but probably not anymore.

    It will also be pointless to restore something that's primary capability is for ground attack. Money could be spent on other assets for air defense.

  2. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post
    If SLAF acquired the MIG27s in 2005/2006 why are they grounded?
    These are second hand old soviet migs, already very old. When "New" ones were acquired in 2006 it also including overhauling of those aircraft as well as aircraft purchased in 2001 (i think that was the year). This overhaul guaranteed the aircraft a certain number of flying hours for the next 10 years before the aircraft would need another overhaul in order to be deemed safe to fly. (Im not sure which company overhauled them I think it was the same company that supplied them). When those 10 years passed (2016) most aircraft had reached their given flying hours anyway and I think only 2 were flying by 2015. For whatever reason (probably funds and being obsolete) the air force never requested another overhaul of them and quietly grounded them.

  3. #303
    Does anyone knows what happend to SU30 MK acquiring plans?? or Buying Medium Strategic Air Lifters or Surveillance Air crafts? BTW SL Navy is upgrading their fleet. Few more big ships will join fleet coming years.. But couldn't see any new plans for Air Force.

  4. #304

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Does anyone knows what happend to SU30 MK acquiring plans?? or Buying Medium Strategic Air Lifters or Surveillance Air crafts? BTW SL Navy is upgrading their fleet. Few more big ships will join fleet coming years.. But couldn't see any new plans for Air Force.
    Yes - the country is out of money. Read the papers - it's all there.

    No money = no ships or aircraft.
    Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by ejanson65 View Post
    Yes - the country is out of money. Read the papers - it's all there.

    No money = no ships or aircraft.
    I think righ now they are focusing on expanding the navy.the navy would be recieving the 2nd AOPV from India,One Vessel from China(I think a type 053h3)and a Hamilton class Cutter from US this year while the coast guard will get 2, 30m boats from Japan,
    I am not sure if the agreement for the Gepard 5.1 frigate was signed though

  6. #306
    Quote Originally Posted by fdk2008 View Post
    I think righ now they are focusing on expanding the navy.the navy would be recieving the 2nd AOPV from India,One Vessel from China(I think a type 053h3)and a Hamilton class Cutter from US this year while the coast guard will get 2, 30m boats from Japan,
    I am not sure if the agreement for the Gepard 5.1 frigate was signed though
    yes. Ships from India, US and probably Russia is confirmed. but never heard and didn't see any news articles about Chinese ship.

  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    yes. Ships from India, US and probably Russia is confirmed. but never heard and didn't see any news articles about Chinese ship.
    There was an article about 2 months back,will try to find it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts