X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
    Were they new when they purchased?
    Because they are very old
    They were already 25+ years old during the time of purchase IIRC. I think they were the stored fleet from Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan? They are probably grounded because parts are expensive to source as it's out of manufacture and not many airforces fly them anymore. I think the Indians were doing some license manufacturering but probably not anymore.

It will also be pointless to restore something that's primary capability is for ground attack. Money could be spent on other assets for air defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by SLD View Post
      If SLAF acquired the MIG27s in 2005/2006 why are they grounded?
      These are second hand old soviet migs, already very old. When "New" ones were acquired in 2006 it also including overhauling of those aircraft as well as aircraft purchased in 2001 (i think that was the year). This overhaul guaranteed the aircraft a certain number of flying hours for the next 10 years before the aircraft would need another overhaul in order to be deemed safe to fly. (Im not sure which company overhauled them I think it was the same company that supplied them). When those 10 years passed (2016) most aircraft had reached their given flying hours anyway and I think only 2 were flying by 2015. For whatever reason (probably funds and being obsolete) the air force never requested another overhaul of them and quietly grounded them.

Comment

• Does anyone knows what happend to SU30 MK acquiring plans?? or Buying Medium Strategic Air Lifters or Surveillance Air crafts? BTW SL Navy is upgrading their fleet. Few more big ships will join fleet coming years.. But couldn't see any new plans for Air Force.

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy View Post
          Does anyone knows what happend to SU30 MK acquiring plans?? or Buying Medium Strategic Air Lifters or Surveillance Air crafts? BTW SL Navy is upgrading their fleet. Few more big ships will join fleet coming years.. But couldn't see any new plans for Air Force.
          Yes - the country is out of money. Read the papers - it's all there.

No money = no ships or aircraft.
          Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post
            Yes - the country is out of money. Read the papers - it's all there.

No money = no ships or aircraft.
            I think righ now they are focusing on expanding the navy.the navy would be recieving the 2nd AOPV from India,One Vessel from China(I think a type 053h3)and a Hamilton class Cutter from US this year while the coast guard will get 2, 30m boats from Japan,
            I am not sure if the agreement for the Gepard 5.1 frigate was signed though

Comment

• Originally posted by fdk2008 View Post
              I think righ now they are focusing on expanding the navy.the navy would be recieving the 2nd AOPV from India,One Vessel from China(I think a type 053h3)and a Hamilton class Cutter from US this year while the coast guard will get 2, 30m boats from Japan,
              I am not sure if the agreement for the Gepard 5.1 frigate was signed though
              yes. Ships from India, US and probably Russia is confirmed. but never heard and didn't see any news articles about Chinese ship.

Comment

yes. Ships from India, US and probably Russia is confirmed. but never heard and didn't see any news articles about Chinese ship.
                There was an article about 2 months back,will try to find it

Comment

• What happened to all those MI24? Haven't seen them in any occasion foe a while. Are they out of service?

Comment

• Originally posted by SLAF-Chief View Post
                    What happened to all those MI24? Haven't seen them in any occasion foe a while. Are they out of service?
                    They all are grounded and in hangers at Higurakgoda Air Force Base. If there is an emergency, they can use those with little repair as i know.

Comment

• Sri Lanka negotiates with Russia to acquire S-300 or Buk air defense missile systems

"Sri Lanka Defense Ministry is under negotiations with Russia to acquire new air defense systems S-300 and Buk. Currently Sri Lanka armed forces don't have any air defense missile systems."

hahaa This is gonna be another "Gepard Class frigate" and "SU30" multirole fighters. just like Volkswagon

Comment

Sri Lanka negotiates with Russia to acquire S-300 or Buk air defense missile systems

"Sri Lanka Defense Ministry is under negotiations with Russia to acquire new air defense systems S-300 and Buk. Currently Sri Lanka armed forces don't have any air defense missile systems."

hahaa This is gonna be another "Gepard Class frigate" and "SU30" multirole fighters. just like Volkswagon

What a joke,are we gonna shoot down Ballistic missiles

Comment

• Originally posted by fdk2008 View Post
                          What a joke,are we gonna shoot down Ballistic missiles
                          Do you remember? Recently our government imposed sanctions against North Korea.! So we have to protect ourselves!! LOL

Comment

• But seriously why are they even considering buying fighter aircraft especially when we can't even obtain more than 10 of them. It's far easier and simpler to buy and maintain a good air defence system since it would be far more effective and then have a fleet of ground attack and COIN aircraft and expand the transport fleet. It seems they want new jets just for the glamour.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shayansp View Post
                              It seems they want new jets just for the glamour.
                              It's all about the side deals - that's how 'Business' is done in Sri Lanka.

The purchase price is higher than the actual price and the difference is funneled back.

The Commissions on the deal are pocketed without any investigation.

This is true for almost all purchases.
                              Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Does anyone know how many hours per year SLAF pilots fly? For jets and transports?

Comment

Working...
                                X