Sri Lanka Military Aviation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Quote Originally Posted by fdk2008 View Post
    I dont think the govt will oreders these,and there is no requirement for choppers right now,i thinks its just indian properganda like the LCA and JF 17
    Any idea how many military transport helicopters and military attack helicopters are in service in Sri Lanka? Are the current ones are too old and need replacements?

Quote Originally Posted by banuthev View Post
    Any idea how many military transport helicopters and military attack helicopters are in service in Sri Lanka? Are the current ones are too old and need replacements?
    We recently bought 14 Mi 17 from russia , and there are 2 new bell 412's as well, apart from the 212's and 206's,all our Mi 24's are grounded and i doubt will fly again

I hope they are not going replace the Mi 24's with HAL ALH

An Air Force helicopter has crashed in Baddegama area but no casualties have been reported all crew members are safe - Air force spokesman
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (46.2 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (56.1 KB, 8 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (78.3 KB, 9 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (51.4 KB, 8 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (56.7 KB, 9 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (69.8 KB, 9 views)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaru View Post
    An Air Force helicopter has crashed in Baddegama area but no casualties have been reported all crew members are safe - Air force spokesman
    Wonder if it was towing the boat?

Wonder if it was towing the boat?
    The Sri Lanka Air Force said its Mi-17 helicopter, which was forced to land in a flooded area in Baddegama on May 29 after a technical failure, during rescue and relief operations will be removed from service.

An SLAF source said the Air Force usually did not operate helicopters which had crashed or forced to land on water.

It had deployed seven Mi-17 helicopters, three Bell-212 helicopters and one Bell-412 helicopter for relief and rescue operations during the recent landslide and flood disaster.

However, no casualties were reported in the accident and all crew members on board the helicopter escaped unhurt.

The helicopter was dismantled and the parts removed to the Koggala Air Force camp for repairs.

Meanwhile, SLAF Spokesman Gihan Senaviratne said he could not comment on the matter because of an ongoing inquiry.

Mi-17 is a medium twin-turbine Russian transport helicopter designed for troop transport and supply operations and was inducted to the SLAF in 1993. (Darshana Sanjeewa)

- See more at: http://www.dailymirror.lk/130296/Mi-....BF88xpYu.dpuf

Is SLAF really going to purchase Chinese Xian Y-20 military transport aircraft?

Highly doubt, recently i saw 2 Do 228's parked at BIA. SLAF might want get some maritime patrol aircraft

Highly doubt, recently i saw 2 Do 228's parked at BIA. SLAF might want get some maritime patrol aircraft
    They are training aircraft from the Indian air force. I think they are for SLAF trainers.