Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey do u guys have any idea of any airshows that will be held to commemorate the anniversary of our airforce on 2nd March this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Olympus View Post
      Hey do u guys have any idea of any airshows that will be held to commemorate the anniversary of our airforce on 2nd March this year?
      Yes. The Air Force will be having their 66th Anniversary with an airshow for the Public. Will keep you posted on the confirmed dates. One of an air force friend of mine quoted that it might be on the 4th, 5th and 6th, but he isn't very much sure. This time they are hoping to have a grand ceremony as I heard
      Haleef Ismail
      www.youtube.com/haleef1 | www.instagram.com/cmb_spotter

Comment

Happy 69th Independence Day Sri Lanka!

Enjoy the pictures of the Independence day flypast taken by me at Mount Lavinia beach and at Ratmalana airport
        Please do not re-upload with my permission.

Cessna 150L
        Cessna 150L training aircraft

Bell 212, 412
        Bell 212, Bell 412 helicopters

Mil Mi-17
        Mil Mi-17 helicopters

Nanchang PT-6
        Nanchang PT-6 training aircraft

Harbin Y-12
        Harbin Yunshuji 12 aircraft

Beechcraft B200T
        Beechcraft B200 aircraft

C-130, AN-32b and MA-60
        C-130, MA-60 and AN-32b aircraft

Karakorum K-8
        Karakorum K-8 training aircraft

F-7GS
        F-7GS fighter aircraft

IAI Kfir C2
        IAI Kfir C2 fighter aircraft

Karakorum K-8
        Karakorum K-8 aircraft on finals

Beechcraft B200T
        Beechcraft B200 aircraft on final

Beechcraft B200T
        Beechcraft B200 aircraft on short final

C-130, AN-32b and MA-60
        C-130, AN-32b and MA-60 aircraft approaching VCCC on formation

Antonov AN-32b
        Antonov AN-32b on finals

C-130 Hercules
        C-130 Hercules on finals

C-130 Hercules
        C-130 Hercules (Another picture) on finals

Thank you for viewing!
        Last edited by Haleef; 05-02-2017, 04:50 AM.
        Haleef Ismail

Comment

Sri Lanka Air Force will be commemorating their 66th Anniversary Celebrations on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of March 2017. That will be Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Opening ceremony will commence off with a parade and a flypast at the airport at Ratmalana, and that will only be held on the first day. The next days will consist of the airshow and many other displays, etc. Will keep everyone updated soon.
          Haleef Ismail

Comment

Originally posted by Olympus View Post
            Thanks for the update Haleef

Comment

Originally posted by Haleef View Post
              Sri Lanka Air Force will be commemorating their 66th Anniversary Celebrations on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of March 2017. That will be Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Opening ceremony will commence off with a parade and a flypast at the airport at Ratmalana, and that will only be held on the first day. The next days will consist of the airshow and many other displays, etc. Will keep everyone updated soon.
              Hi Haleef,

Based on the flypast on youtube (wasn't very clear), it looked like there was only one kfir and no mig 27s involved. Looks like we only have one operational fighter now?

Comment

Originally posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
                Based on the flypast on youtube (wasn't very clear), it looked like there was only one kfir and no mig 27s involved. Looks like we only have one operational fighter now?

There is a one F7 G flew also. So currently there are only 2 fighters are operational. Did you guys notice? There is not single Mi24 s flew this time. I think all of them are in the hangers of Hingurakgoda Air Force base. Hopefully in next independence day flypast we will see Mig29, SU 30 or JF17 if current Fighter procurement plan go ahead

Comment

Originally posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
                  Hi Haleef,

Hello, sorry about the video. It was recorded by my mother, so sadly not much stabilisation in it, and also not all aircraft were recorded by her :/. There was actually only 1 Kfir which flew to the celebrations twice a round, and also ended the show along with the F-7GS aircraft. Sadly the Mig 27s weren't flying, as they are all grounded, and the Mig 27 squadron is no more active now. So sadly, you won't be able to find another Mig 27 in the air. Also I think only these two aircraft are still in operation.
                  Haleef Ismail

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                    There is a one F7 G flew also. So currently there are only 2 fighters are operational. Did you guys notice? There is not single Mi24 s flew this time. I think all of them are in the hangers of Hingurakgoda Air Force base. Hopefully in next independence day flypast we will see Mig29, SU 30 or JF17 if current Fighter procurement plan go ahead.
                    Mil Mi-24 helicopters all grounded.
                    Haleef Ismail

Comment

• Originally posted by Haleef View Post
                      Mil Mi-24 helicopters all grounded.
                      Are they not going to fly again ? If yes will they be scrapped?

Comment

Hello, sorry about the video. It was recorded by my mother, so sadly not much stabilisation in it, and also not all aircraft were recorded by her :/. There was actually only 1 Kfir which flew to the celebrations twice a round, and also ended the show along with the F-7GS aircraft. Sadly the Mig 27s weren't flying, as they are all grounded, and the Mig 27 squadron is no more active now. So sadly, you won't be able to find another Mig 27 in the air. Also I think only these two aircraft are still in operation.
                        Is it true one MiG-23UB trainer used only for training purposes for their MiG-27 fleet?

Comment

Thanks Haleef; seems to be a sad state of affairs. That's the problem with buying obsolete aircraft is it will be a short term advantage at best and when there is no parts or money everything will fall apart. I am not sure what's happening to the air force procurement other than confusing statements from different sections of the government similar to the UL saga. Hopefully this time at least they plan something with a longer term goal in mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
                            Thanks Haleef; seems to be a sad state of affairs. That's the problem with buying obsolete aircraft is it will be a short term advantage at best and when there is no parts or money everything will fall apart. I am not sure what's happening to the air force procurement other than confusing statements from different sections of the government similar to the UL saga. Hopefully this time at least they plan something with a longer term goal in mind.
                            I think they have in mind of buying more Kfir jets, but I'm not sure..
                            Haleef Ismail

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
                              Is it true one MiG-23UB trainer used only for training purposes for their MiG-27 fleet?
                              Correct. But I think even the airworthiness of the Mig-23 has also gone, and I'm not sure of whether it still is in use.
                              Haleef Ismail

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
                                Are they not going to fly again ? If yes will they be scrapped?
                                I don't think they will fly again :/
                                Haleef Ismail

Comment

Working...
                                X