X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Godofpower View Post
    Well JF-17 is kind of based on F-7 which is used by SLAF
    Its low cost but it can do everything from Air to Air, Ground attack and Anti-Ship.
    JF-17 is based on the Chinese Chengdu F-7 which SLAF has used before (or are still using).

USAF never used F-7, other than for evaluation (target practice)
    Last edited by Cayman; 31-12-2015, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cayman View Post
      JF-17 is based on the Chinese Chengdu F-7 which SLAF has used before (or are still using).

USAF never used F-7, other than for evaluation (target practice)
      Most of the Pakistani dailys are claiming today (6\1\16) that SL has signed for 8 JF-17s during the Pakistani PM visit to SL.

Does anyone local know if there are any follow up batches or if any technology transfer is involved?

Wiki lists a block 2 JF-17 at 28 Million US $, getting a second hand F-16 from air force that has them on storage might have been cheaper (and an older F-16 would probably be technically better than the JF-17 anyway, the Pakistani air force regard their F-16 as their front line fighter, and some were bought second hand IIRC).

Any Air force guys on the forum? Any inkling to as why JF-17 was chosen?
      Last edited by LukeSkywalker; 06-01-2016, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeSkywalker View Post

I have no information regarding the veracity of the claim that SLAF has in fact signed up to buy JF-17.

However, my educated guess as to going with Chinese / Pakistani product could be rooted in the past experience during the war with LTTE, when the Westerns countries by and large refused to provide any military hardware.

Pakistan was a staunch ally of Sri Lanka at the time and an extremely reliable partner for hardware procurement.

SLAF strategists must be highlighting the risks of committing to a US product (F-16s) even if they come cheaper with potentially better technology.

Perhaps, in their mind inferior technology at their disposal is better than superior technology which may or may not be available when needed.

Comment

Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif met Commander of the Sri Lanka Air Force Air Marshal Gagan Bulathsinghala

Also Pakistani Prime Minister along with a delegation took off for Kandy on two SLAF MI 17 VVIP Helicopters. Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will visit the historic city of Kandy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cayman View Post
            However, my educated guess as to going with Chinese / Pakistani product could be rooted in the past experience during the war with LTTE, when the Westerns countries by and large refused to provide any military hardware.
            We all know how "Business" is done in Sri Lanka...

This is nothing more than another "wealth transfer" of public funds to family, friends and cronies. This has nothing to do with SLAF requirements.

Remember the MiG deal?
            Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

SLAF needs new aircraft. SLAF has probably the oldest rust buckets flying around in the region. The outdated kFirs and MiG 27s which are the backbone of the current fleet require replacements.

Comment

Most of the Pakistani dailys are claiming today (6\1\16) that SL has signed for 8 JF-17s during the Pakistani PM visit to SL.

Does anyone local know if there are any follow up batches or if any technology transfer is involved?

Wiki lists a block 2 JF-17 at 28 Million US $, getting a second hand F-16 from air force that has them on storage might have been cheaper (and an older F-16 would probably be technically better than the JF-17 anyway, the Pakistani air force regard their F-16 as their front line fighter, and some were bought second hand IIRC).

There are better and cheaper alternates, than the 28 Million $ for the JF-17. With Russian Engines which last only that long.

Like the BAe Hawk or the equivalents.

I am not sure what's the need to get air defense fighters, while not saying you don't need fighters.

Reality is, if there is a war with any country nearby or far, the SLAF may be swamped very soon.

Alternate would be to keep the air force trim and tight with the likes of BAe Hawk or similar aircraft and keep the currency on COIN. And build on strategic air lift ability.

As for PAF considering JF 17 as front line, well, they have to, since it is the only operator and nobody wants to buy it. Though the F16 with the proven integration of weapons will give the JF 17 a good run for the money.

Technology transfer ? Again, transfer which technology ?

When times were bad, Russian and such planes were good, as they got the job done, for a cheaper purchase price but low reliability and less MTBF.

When there is no immediate need, focus should be on getting better equipment, with greater reliability.

That's my 2 cents.

Comment

Cabinet approves new fighter jets

A proposal made by President Maithripala Sirisena in his capacity as the Minister of Defence to purchase multirole fighter jets and associated weapons, had been approved by the Cabinet of Ministers, Minister Rajitha Senaratne today said. ..

Comment

I smell something fishy here!
                    The country is so much in debt, and the VAT was increased...

Suddenly what made the multi-role fighter jets a priority?

Comment

Currently only 3 fighters (1 Kffir and 2 F7)are operational in Sri lanka air force and they all are vintage 2nd generation air crafts. I think this decision is late. Country is in debt, but this decision is much important rather than importing high luxury vehicles to politicians. Air Force need to maintain at least one squadron.

SL need to go for JF 17, MiG-29 SMT or Su 27.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                        Currently only 3 fighters (1 Kffir and 2 F7)are operational in Sri lanka air force and they all are vintage 2nd generation air crafts. I think this decision is late. Country is in debt, but this decision is much important rather than importing high luxury vehicles to politicians. Air Force need to maintain at least one squadron.

SL need to go for JF 17, MiG-29 SMT or Su 27.

MiG 29 and SU 30 could be on the menu

Comment

Russia offers a new credit line to Sri Lanka

http://lankainformation.lk/news/busi...e-to-sri-lanka

Sri Lanka will soon reach an agreement with Russia to get a new credit line of US$ 300 -400 million from that country to buy military equipment for the armed forces and the Sri Lanka police. The deal is to be finalized following the ongoing discussions between the Russian authorities and the Sri Lankan embassy officials in Russia, government sources said.

This seems to be happening in the background silently parallel to the 'international tender' to purchase multi role fighters. I am not sure if the 'tender' was just a ploy to appease our neighbours.

The credit line amount does not make sense for a new jets so I am not sure if the airforce is picking up refurbished ones if this is in fact for the aircraft deal. Hopefully it's the SU-30 or we will be going through 'aircraft is obsolete' cycle in a few years time.

Comment

http://lankainformation.lk/news/busi...e-to-sri-lanka

Sri Lanka will soon reach an agreement with Russia to get a new credit line of US$ 300 -400 million from that country to buy military equipment for the armed forces and the Sri Lanka police. The deal is to be finalized following the ongoing discussions between the Russian authorities and the Sri Lankan embassy officials in Russia, government sources said.

This seems to be happening in the background silently parallel to the 'international tender' to purchase multi role fighters. I am not sure if the 'tender' was just a ploy to appease our neighbours.

The credit line amount does not make sense for a new jets so I am not sure if the airforce is picking up refurbished ones if this is in fact for the aircraft deal. Hopefully it's the SU-30 or we will be going through 'aircraft is obsolete' cycle in a few years time.
                            Could be Su-30 or upgraded versions of the Mig-29. The Mig-29SMT looks like a quite capable aircraft and cheaper than the Su-30.

Personally I hope this does go through. If we're going to buy jets anyway I'd much rather get Russian fighters than the JF-17 or Tejas.
                            Last edited by TheF15Ace; 27-08-2016, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Is this for real? Or just some partisan reporting by the Chinese media to drum up support for the Y-20?

China’s newly developed Xian Y-20 would be in contention if Sri Lanka is looking to buy more Chinese military transport craft, making it one of the first countries outside China to get the new plane. That would mark a new high for Sino-Sri Lankan relations that have been on the mend since Wickremesinghe’s government put the brakes on big-ticket Chinese projects soon after it came to...

Sri Lanka will buy more military transport planes from China and seek its help in transforming its failed Hambantota port into a hub comparable with Shenzhen, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe told This Week in Asia in an exclusive interview.

Interestingly the PM has also mentioned China, India, Sweden and Russia have made offers, we are studying them for jet fighters. Not sure what the Swedish offer was, the new Gripen is quite costly compared to the other competitors, unless SAAB provided some lease option for older jets like the agreement with Hungary.

Comment

I don't think its Y20. It should be two more MA 60 or Harbon Y 12. PM didn't mention the aircraft type though. Previously there are several reports about SL is gonna buy two used modified C130 (http://www.slguardian.org/2016/06/sr...e-c-130k-scam/) but government postponed that plan due to cost, then how we gonna buy Y20?? Y20 is like C17 Globemaster. I think it should be better SL would go for C130s.

About Fighter Jets, In this Budget debate PM mention that they are going to buy two squadrons of multi-role fighters for SLAF. Yeah Gripen is costly..! but it would be nice to see. I think they will choose all weather friend "Russia". Its great if they select SU30. ("Please don't choose Thejas "Lets pray :P )

Comment

Working...
                                X