Sri Lanka Military Aviation
Mobile View

News Headlines..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Conspiracy is a crazy theory. Our economy is in trouble. That is totally true. If we modernize our Armed Forces, we should do that according to our economy.

Policy makers should have clear idea(Which they don't have) what are the priorities.

We all know that we don't have any external threat. Assume that we have, as a small country with small economy we cannot go to war except solve that using diplomatic mission.

We CANNOT say "Now there is no internal threat!!" This is what happen in 1970/80s. Our military was unable to tackle insurgency in north mainly due to lack of resources. If we were able to control LTTE in their early days, We are not in a situation like this..

Yes we don't have internal threat now,but how can you so sure there will be anything in future?? Nothing is impossible

And all of us know that constitutional reforms are coming. Most of the powers will be given to regions like Land, Police,etc. At least Central government should have strong Armed Force to tackle any challenges.

I'm not saying that we need bunch of Russian Frigates, a dozen Mig 29s, Large Cargo Planes , 100 attack helicopters. We won the war using those???? We won the war against one of most ruthless terrorist organization using 2nd hand, old arsenel. That is why I said Policy makers should think about needs of the country.

But maintaining Armed Forces comparing to our economy is mandatory and one of top priority. Otherwise if we have to face another insurgency or what ever like recent civil war, It is better to delete this thread, because nothing will left in Sri Lanka to talk.
    Yes now the war is over...why for a change look inwards and think why did it start in first place and how did LKY had a same issue in 60's but he managed it well

LKY build a strong economy, rule of law and strong educated workforce.

Most of current economic woes in Sri Lanka are due to previous govt economic destruction...

We CANNOT say "Now there is no internal threat!!" This is what happen in 1970/80s. Our military was unable to tackle insurgency in north mainly due to lack of resources. If we were able to control LTTE in their early days, We are not in a situation like this..
    You can shoot me for saying this, the country is at catch 22: The huge number of armed force personnel need to be employed

Hence the Previous Def Sec's attempts to make them into farming etc .. but in my honest opinon, when a state starts to do things they aren't supposed to, they kill the private sector, like Indonesia .. example, the SLAF competing for tours with private - you can say what you want, but me says, WRONG, in so many levels.

And the other issue: nobody wants to bite the bullet, and demoblise the forces, and build up only a small force, with the rest on reservist basis, like Singapore, or Korea.

The problem is, there is corruption in every level, and nobody wants to be the bad boy, for implementing painful reforms.

So solution: keep buying more and more, spend more and more ..

PS, I really wonder what went through the minds of the folks who decided the russian frigate is a good buy !!!

What SL Needs, in case not spelt out, strong COIN ops, strong maritime reconnaissance, strong long range patrols

Getting Mig 29s, A Frigates (And only one .. ) more Mi 17s, all will only help the commission folks make $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    Yes now the war is over...why for a change look inwards and think why did it start in first place and how did LKY had a same issue in 60's but he managed it well

LKY build a strong economy, rule of law and strong educated workforce.

Most of current economic woes in Sri Lanka are due to previous govt economic destruction...
    Why did it start ?

That's the classical diversion tactic. Like those who wanted to evict the refugees, while there are Sri Lankans claiming refuge in HK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_in_Hong_Kong

As long as politicians play merry go round, take turns to earn, different seats but same interest of making $, and more interested in winning elections than doing what's good for the country ..
    Last edited by ecureilx; 16-10-2017 at 03:13 AM.

I spotted a SLAF MIG 27 being transported by road on container trailers towards Rathmalana Airport at around 10.20 PM yesterday (16th October). Does anyone know why?

Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post
    I spotted a SLAF MIG 27 being transported by road on container trailers towards Rathmalana Airport at around 10.20 PM yesterday (16th October). Does anyone know why?
    Probably Placing it in the Museum?

Exhibit for museum. Already trainer is in the museum.

Why can't Sri Lanka ever create aircraft?
    Saw this late.

Meaning manufacture ?

Supply/demand. And the cost of building a safe plane is in Billions of $s

Unless SL has lot of spare money ..

Oh, even India has failed miserably trying to build a commercial plane.

They do build War planes, as War planes don't have stringent safety standards and can spend lot of time in maintenance.

Commercial planes make money - as long as they fly

Quote Originally Posted by ecureilx View Post
    Saw this late.

Meaning manufacture ?

Supply/demand. And the cost of building a safe plane is in Billions of $s

Unless SL has lot of spare money ..

Oh, even India has failed miserably trying to build a commercial plane.

They do build War planes, as War planes don't have stringent safety standards and can spend lot of time in maintenance.

Commercial planes make money - as long as they fly
    And for argument sake SL had the money and stringent engineering standards to manufacture, we will not be able to compete because SL is hideously expensive. If you look at what's happening now and see items such as clothing etc which we used to make in the 90s are now being bought down from India or Bangladesh.

This is not because of some conspiracy where we have to arm ourselves to the teeth but due to the scale of economics.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
    And for argument sake SL had the money and stringent engineering standards to manufacture, we will not be able to compete because SL is hideously expensive. If you look at what's happening now and see items such as clothing etc which we used to make in the 90s are now being bought down from India or Bangladesh.

This is not because of some conspiracy where we have to arm ourselves to the teeth but due to the scale of economics.
    But.. but. .. some guys have decided to build planes. For SLAF. And then grow to modern planes ..

Honestly I am not against innovation.

but reinventing the wheel ?? Of course, we can, if we have a couple of billion dollars spare ..

Sri Lanka can expand the wide reach

If somebody asks why SL can't build a plane, see how many countries can successfully make SAFE and reliable planes:

Boeing, Airbus, Embraer, Bombardier .. any more ?

Heck, The russians with trillions of $ can't get it right. And include India too, with nearly half century of doing local assembly and manufacture of licenses, can't get a original product out.

Maybe our Einsteins can get it right ?

But.. but. .. some guys have decided to build planes. For SLAF. And then grow to modern planes ..

Honestly I am not against innovation.

but reinventing the wheel ?? Of course, we can, if we have a couple of billion dollars spare ..

Sri Lanka can expand the wide reach

If somebody asks why SL can't build a plane, see how many countries can successfully make SAFE and reliable planes:

Boeing, Airbus, Embraer, Bombardier .. any more ?

Heck, The russians with trillions of $ can't get it right. And include India too, with nearly half century of doing local assembly and manufacture of licenses, can't get a original product out.

Maybe our Einsteins can get it right ?
    Dude don't get angry...!! OMG

There is no plan to build passenger aircrafts or something like Boeing, Airbus, Embraer, Bombardier

SLAF just got plan develop single engine small scale plane like Zlín, PT...

We have done it previously also. Ray Wijewardana developed plane like this back in 70s or 60s. Did you ever visited Air Force museum? in Air Force museum there was another small plane like this which build in Sri Lanka by SLAF back in 60s or 70s.

And also there is no possibility that government invest public money for this. So Don't worry..!!!!
    SLAF will develop it using their allocated budget and their resources. Just like Sri Lanka Army SLEME developed Buffel and Unibuffel.

SLAF currently developing medium range UAV also.

It is very good approach. At least they can use that for basic training and air shows. and it is very good motivation to our country. What is the wrong with innovations?
    Last edited by Randy; 25-10-2017 at 05:30 AM.

And also there is no possibility that government invest public money for this. So Don't worry..!!!!
    SLAF will develop it using their allocated budget and their resources. Just like Sri Lanka Army SLEME developed Buffel and Unibuffel.
    Where do you think this money comes from?
    Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Dude don't get angry...!! OMG

There is no plan to build passenger aircrafts or something like Boeing, Airbus, Embraer, Bombardier

SLAF just got plan develop single engine small scale plane like Zlín, PT...

We have done it previously also. Ray Wijewardana developed plane like this back in 70s or 60s. Did you ever visited Air Force museum? in Air Force museum there was another small plane like this which build in Sri Lanka by SLAF back in 60s or 70s.

SLAF currently developing medium range UAV also.

It is very good approach. At least they can use that for basic training and air shows. and it is very good motivation to our country. What is the wrong with innovations?
    Well, our politicians have big ambitions, like the Satellite that went up there ...

As long as they do assembly of basic trainers, custom builds, there's nothing wrong. It does keep interest in aviation and all, nothing wrong, to be honest. Its a great recruitment tool for youngsters as well.

but the news that came out had high plans, like building the next F15 competitor ?

Quote Originally Posted by ejanson65 View Post
    Where do you think this money comes from?
    If SLAF needs money to build kit planes or assemble some trainers, for experience, and public interest and all, why not ?

As long as they don't progress to assembling SU 35s. Using PUBLIC Money. If they find a generous donor then it's a different issue...

Well, our politicians have big ambitions, like the Satellite that went up there ...

As long as they do assembly of basic trainers, custom builds, there's nothing wrong. It does keep interest in aviation and all, nothing wrong, to be honest. Its a great recruitment tool for youngsters as well.

but the news that came out had high plans, like building the next F15 competitor ?

If SLAF needs money to build kit planes or assemble some trainers, for experience, and public interest and all, why not ?

As long as they don't progress to assembling SU 35s. Using PUBLIC Money. If they find a generous donor then it's a different issue...
    SLAF was developing some UAVs in conjunction with Moratuwa university, now that is something where money is well spent in building up expertise (not ŕ la missile spewing global hawks as some would immediately have wet dreams of but more in the range of disaster management, crop monitoring etc).

Building trainers and kit planes I think it is a waste of time you can get cheaper reliable trainers from China instead of having to waste money building or lives testing them.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
    Building trainers and kit planes I think it is a waste of time you can get cheaper reliable trainers from China instead of having to waste money building or lives testing them.
    I may still disagree on that.

Building kit planes, trainers etc helps keep the general public's interest in aviation alive, and gives wanna be flyers some joy.

Like how in the past, those joy rides were great recruiting tools for Airforces to find talent.

PS, trainers, I meant the likes of Cirrus, Cessna, and such

I may still disagree on that.

PS, trainers, I meant the likes of Cirrus, Cessna, and such
    Ah.. I get what you mean, that would be a good (assembling) instead of designing from scratch and building

US offers Secretary Class High Endurance Cutter to Sri Lanka Navy. Currently pending completion of Congress.
    http://www.colombopage.com/archive_1...10029283CH.php
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton-class_cutter

Probably USCGC Midgett (WHEC-726), USCGC Munro (WHEC-724) or USCGC Mellon (WHEC-717)
    Last edited by Randy; 07-11-2017 at 06:00 AM.

Did SLAF fix ADB-S transponders in there aircraft? FR24 is tracking a flight with Callsign N581 and has started flight from the jet aircraft hanger from SLAF ( this flight is cruising at 1300ft at 100knots in a holding pattern over Puttalam.

Did SLAF fix ADB-S transponders in there aircraft? FR24 is tracking a flight with Callsign N581 and has started flight from the jet aircraft hanger from SLAF ( this flight is cruising at 1300ft at 100knots in a holding pattern over Puttalam.
    No, no. That is a Training Cessna 172, which I think Sakurai Aviation got down to Colombo recently from US. It has still not been changed into a Sri Lankan registration yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Haleef View Post
    No, no. That is a Training Cessna 172, which I think Sakurai Aviation got down to Colombo recently from US. It has still not been changed into a Sri Lankan registration yet.
    Anyway, why doesn't SLAF fix ADB-S transponders in Helitours flights?

Anyway, why doesn't SLAF fix ADB-S transponders in Helitours flights?
    Not sure. Probably they might not like the idea of the public tracking their aircraft I guess.

Sri Lanka proposes increase in defence spending for 2018

The Sri Lankan government has proposed a 2018 defence budget of LKR290.7 billion (USD1.9 billion). The allocation is contained in the 2018 appropriation bill, which was presented to Sri Lanka’s parliament on 9 October.

The defence budget amounts to about 7% of total government expenditure for 2018, and marks a 2.3% increase over 2017 military expenditure, which totalled LKR284 billion.

http://www.janes.com/article/74751/s...fence-spending