This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SriLankan Airlines operating loss tops Rs.14 billion in 2016

National carrier, SriLankan Airlines, made an operating loss of Rs.14.1 billion in 2016 compared to a loss of Rs.4.9 billion in 2015, the 2016 Central Bank annual report released this week showed.

According to the report, the losses were mainly due to higher costs related to aircraft maintenance and lease as global fuel prices have remained relatively low throughout the year.

In 2016, the SriLankan replaced its last four-engine Airbus A340 aircraft that was used for two decades with two fuel efficient, modern, brand new, twin-engine A330-300 aircraft.

In addition, two aircraft of Mihin Lanka were also absorbed to the SriLankan fleet. Mihin Lanka ceased its operations in October 2016 and SriLankan took over Mihin Lanka’s schedule by upgrading all routes to full service operations from the budget flight operations.

In 2016, the SriLankan had to incur the full maintenance and lease costs of the fleet introduced in 2015, leading to a higher operating expenditure and substantial operating losses in 2016 in comparison to 2015.

By end 2016, the fleet of the SriLankan comprised 13 wide body aircraft and eight narrow body aircraft. This includes seven A330-300s, six A330-200s, six A320s and two A321 aircraft. The airline welcomed its first A320neo in February 2017 and a second aircraft is expected this month.

“Maintaining a massive loss-making airline, which is funded through the government cash flow, is a huge burden to the government budget.

Hence, the measures taken towards securing a strategic partner have to be accomplished to resolve the need for capital injection and debt consolidation and thereby remove the burden on the government budget,” the Central Bank annual report noted.

The US-based global investment giant Texas Pacific Group (TPG) is currently said to be carrying out a due diligence on SriLankan following a round of calling of expression of interests by the airline to find a suitable strategic partner.

Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe went on record saying that the airline had liabilities running over US $ 3 billion and as a last ditch attempt to save it the government would have to absorb the debt to make the airline presentable to a future strategic partner.

During the previous Rajapaksa administration, the airline was said to have been grossly mismanaged under the chairmanship of the brother-in-law of the then President Mahinda Rajapaksa. However, a report commissioned by the current government on the past activities of the airline through a prominent lawyer in the country has been thrown into the backburner without any action being taken against the perpetrators.

- See more at: http://www.dailymirror.lk/article/Sr....rszzOOcg.dpuf

Comment

• Originally posted by Cayman View Post
      We live in a time when the very essence of democracy itself is in doubt. Case in point: Brexit, Trump and possibly Le Pen!
      All 3 things you've listed are perfect examples of Democracy (the will of the people) in action.

A lot of people (myself included) don't want Globalism, A European Superstate, open borders and loss of Sovereignty.

BREXIT was the best thing that could have happened to the UK and I hope Le Pen wins and the French join us. The sooner the EU is dismantled the better imho.

People are finally waking up. What the media refers to as "Populism" is really Democracy and free speech.

There's a Revolution coming and it can't be stopped.
      Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by Max View Post
        SriLankan Airlines operating loss tops Rs.14 billion in 2016

- See more at: http://www.dailymirror.lk/article/Sr....rszzOOcg.dpuf
        That's just under $92 Million. A complete disaster no matter how you want to look at it.

I imagine the liabilities of $3 Billion include all the debt from Mihin as well.

And with more aircraft coming it's only going to get worse - no way out except Bankruptcy.

There is zero chance of anyone investing in this as there is no possible return on investment ever - there is no conceivable way to make this profitable.
        Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
          Any idea how many years does the 4R-ALS (ex-CS-TFZ) going to be operated by UL ? Will it get the new seat config? it had the seat config as 42J 288Y when its operated for Hifly?
          No idea - but since it hasn't been made public my guess is that it's another disastrous deal for UL.

I'm sure they will reconfigure this aircraft in a similar manner to the others - no reason why this can't be done. Will cost $$$.

Former UL A340 4R-ADE (now 9H-SUN) still has the UL seats installed. Clients like the aircraft.

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post
            All 3 things you've listed are perfect examples of Democracy (the will of the people) in action.

A lot of people (myself included) don't want Globalism, A European Superstate, open borders and loss of Sovereignty.

BREXIT was the best thing that could have happened to the UK and I hope Le Pen wins and the French join us. The sooner the EU is dismantled the better imho.

People are finally waking up. What the media refers to as "Populism" is really Democracy and free speech.

There's a Revolution coming and it can't be stopped.
            Well said! Most parts of France and Germany are infested with filthy refugee pests. The viruses called EU and Globalism should be eradicate as soon possible

Comment

• CS-TFZ Interior pictures.

http://www.hifly.aero/en/a330/cs-tfz.html

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post
                No idea - but since it hasn't been made public my guess is that it's another disastrous deal for UL.

I'm sure they will reconfigure this aircraft in a similar manner to the others - no reason why this can't be done. Will cost $$$.

Former UL A340 4R-ADE (now 9H-SUN) still has the UL seats installed. Clients like the aircraft.
                I am now in Cambridge Airport to see SriLankan A332. Current registration is CS-TFZ and its still inside the hangar at Cambridge. Sometime in the today afternoon it will come out of the hangar and fly to Brussels for seat reconfiguration and for change of registration as 4R-ALS.

I will be taking photos if I am lucky enough to spot her.

Comment

I am now in Cambridge Airport to see SriLankan A332. Current registration is CS-TFZ and its still inside the hangar at Cambridge. Sometime in the today afternoon it will come out of the hangar and fly to Brussels for seat reconfiguration and for change of registration as 4R-ALS.

I will be taking photos if I am lucky enough to spot her.
                  Hangar has been opened and I can see CS-TFZ painted in full SriLankan colours. I got photos for you guys. Stay tuned. I will upload them when I go back home.

Comment

• Good article on Sri Lankan - Worth to read. https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/04/28/

http://https://runwaygirlnetwork.com...-arent-flying/

Comment

Hangar has been opened and I can see CS-TFZ painted in full SriLankan colours. I got photos for you guys. Stay tuned. I will upload them when I go back home.
                      Hope you've captured some good photos of her :-)

Comment

CZ-TFZ is airborne now at the moment!! I think it's test flight after completion of the paint work

Comment

• Originally posted by Sandaru View Post
                          CZ-TFZ is airborne now at the moment!! I think it's test flight after completion of the paint work
                          Its just departed to Brussels for seat re-configuration and registration change.

Here are the CS-TFZ pictures i have taken at Cambridge Airport today. CS-TFZ to become 4R-ALS.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Its just departed to Brussels for seat re-configuration and registration change.

Here are the CS-TFZ pictures i have taken at Cambridge Airport today. CS-TFZ to become 4R-ALS.
                            Wow great stuff Banu love your hard work
                            ​Umedha Hettigoda ®

https://banners-my.flightradar24.com/umedhah.png

Comment

Great work banu.

Comment

Great work Banu ! Do you know if the seating reconfiguration will be consistent with the rest of the UL fleet? Looks like we are going to continue to have different user experience across the fleet.

Comment

Working...
                                X