This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Air>Ceylon View Post
    Confusing , if Srilankan need A 330 ,why they sub lease brand new A330 300 to PIA . After add them to the fleet skytrax rating were improved for Srilankan .A330 200's are pretty old .After cancellation of A 350 , how they will replace A330 200's . Is it by A321 NEO ?.
    I think A350 is a bad idea .A330- 300 would be the ideal widebody for Srilankan .
    A330-800neo would have been the best replacement for the old A332s instead of the A350s

Comment

• Originally posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
      A330-800neo would have been the best replacement for the old A332s instead of the A350s
      1. I think the UL A350 order preceded the launch of A330neo. A330neo was launched in Farnborough 2014.

2. A330-800neo variant will not be built. All the orders except for 6 copies for HA have already been converted and HA will soon follow suit.

Comment

• According to Wiki, UL ordered the A350 on 19 June 2013. Well over a year before the A330neo was launched.

Comment

• Cabinet approves PPP for Internal Airline Service

The Cabinet of Ministers approved the proposal by President Maithripala Sirisena, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence, to initiate a public-private partnership to establish an internal airline service.

Accordingly, proposals will be called for from the private sector to establish the internal airline service, together with the Sri Lanka Air Force.

The Cabinet of Ministers approved the proposal by President Maithripala Sirisena, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence, to initiate a public-private partnership to establish an internal airline service. Accordingly, proposals will be called for from the private sector to establish the internal airline service, together with the Sri Lanka Air Force.

Comment

• Originally posted by Max View Post
            Cabinet approves PPP for Internal Airline Service

The Cabinet of Ministers approved the proposal by President Maithripala Sirisena, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence, to initiate a public-private partnership to establish an internal airline service.

Accordingly, proposals will be called for from the private sector to establish the internal airline service, together with the Sri Lanka Air Force.

http://www.dailynews.lk/2016/11/30/local/100690
            Helitours is planning to acquire two passenger aircraft as part of plans to resume regular domestic Sri Lankan operations.

Helitours was forced to suspend its local flights in March this year after the Sri Lankan Civil Aviation Authority grounded its pair of MA-60s citing unspecified technical issues. Since then, it has continued to operate albeit offering charters around the island using a Y12 and a Bell Helicopter 412.

As the aircraft reportedly lack Certificates of Airworthiness and are therefore uninsured, all passengers flying on them are required to sign indemnity forms prior to departure.

Helitours (Colombo Ratmalana) is planning to acquire two passenger aircraft as part of plans to resume regular domestic Sri Lankan operations. Owned by the Sri Lanka Air Force (Colombo International), Helitours will source the aircraft via a lease/purchase initiative in partnership with an undisclosed privately-run entity. The proposal has already garnered the support of the government. Helitours was forced to suspend its local flights in March this year after the Sri Lankan Civil Aviation Authority grounded its pair of MA-60s citing unspecified technical issues. Since then, it has continued to operate albeit offering charters around the island using a Y12 and a Bell Helicopter 412. As the aircraft reportedly lack Certificates of Airworthiness and are therefore uninsured, all passengers flying on them are required to sign indemnity forms prior to departure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serendib View Post
              Helitours is planning to acquire two passenger aircraft as part of plans to resume regular domestic Sri Lankan operations.
              Hope SL Gov will get the good aircraft for upcoming domestic operations. Waste of money for getting MA60s. Any idea about the type of aircraft is going to join the helitours fleet?

Comment

• SriLankan Airlines New Destination : Gan

Gan is the new passenger destination for both SriLankan Airlines and Oneworld Alliance. SriLankan becomes first international airline to fly schedule flights to Gan, by commencing the flight operation to Gan on the 1st Dec 2016. Maiden Passenger flight was operated by 4R-ABN (A320). SriLankan will operate 4 weekly schedule service to Gan onboard A320 aircraft as per W16 schedule.

Unfortunately SriLankan Airlines have been reduced the flights to Male' from 33 to 26 weekly in the Winter 2016 Schedule. What is the reason why SriLankan reduced the Male' flights ? It looks like those 7 slots have been given to SriLankan on CMB-GAN and 3 slots to Mega Maldives Airlines on CMB-MLE route. I thought Sri Lanka and the Maldives have the Open Skies Air Service Agreement.

In early 2000s, SriLankan used to serve Gan with twice a weekly all freighter flights onboard AN12. Good to see it's part of the passenger air network.

What do you guys think about Gan as a new destination for SriLankan ? will it be a profitable route for SriLankan ?

All the best UL !

Here are some pictures from Gan on the 1st Dec 2016. Picture credits to SriLankan Website.

a2

Bangladesh

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
                  SriLankan Airlines New Destination : Gan
                  What do you guys think about Gan as a new destination for SriLankan ? will it be a profitable route for SriLankan ?
                  If there's better tourism demand to visit Gan Islands directly than Maldives main island!!

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
                    Hope SL Gov will get the good aircraft for upcoming domestic operations. Waste of money for getting MA60s. Any idea about the type of aircraft is going to join the helitours fleet?
                    Lets hope they acquire a couple of Bombardier Q300's rather than those Cheap MA60's or another option would be to lease an ATR42 from a foreign operator and other from FitsAir
                    -Aaqib Hussain
                    (Aviation Analyst | Content Creator)
                    www.youtube.com/airlines747

Comment

• UL is named worlds leading airline to indian ocean at the world travel awards 2016.

http://www.worldtravelawards.com/winners/2016/world

Comment

• SriLankan Airlines: Three bidders to meet Cabinet committee

Three bidders shortlisted for a management stake in cash-strapped SriLankan Airlines will hold discussions with a Cabinet committee this month to clarify, among other things, their strategy for the national carrier.
                        “The shortlisted parties will be spoken to by a committee appointed by the Cabinet,” an authoritative source said. Depending on the outcome of the meetings, a recommendation will be sent to the Cabinet Committee on Economic Management (CCEM).

The parties are Super Group Partners, Peace Air and Texas Pacific Group or TPG. Super Group is a consortium comprising predominantly Asian investors. It includes Maldivian involvement but is not, contrary to earlier reports, connected with Trans Maldivian Airways or the Singaporean ground-handling firm SATS. The Group’s lawyer said it was a private company registered in Sri Lanka.

Peace Air is owned by businessman Gamini Wethasinghe but there are no details about its source of funding. The third, TPG, is an American company and one of the largest private equity investment firms in the world.
                        “The process will be completely transparent, authentic and carried out to secure the best possible deal for the Government and for the airline in terms of protection of brand value and national carrier status,” the source said. “There will be no compromise on those parameters.”

An initial valuation had allocated scores to the bidders based on various criteria but it is learnt that these will have no real bearing on who secures the contract. “We have not come to a stage where it can be determined that one is ahead of another,” the source said. “There is a long and extensive process to be carried out, including verification of documents.”

A host of other factors, including origin of funds and identity of respective consortium partners, are yet to be studied. The lead manager for the project is National Savings Bank, assisted by audit firm KPMG.

Hope TPG wins, especially now that TMA/Blackstone and SATS aren't part of Super Group (which is now probably like Peace Air - a bunch of overenthusiastic investors promising the world). Even if TPG's bid is not as attractive as the former 2 bidders, at least they'll be realistic about SriLankan and it will have a good future given their wealth of experience turning around bankrupt airlines.
                        Last edited by lordvader; 03-12-2016, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• None of them seem like serious candidates imho.

As I've repeatedly said - What possible reason is there for anyone to invest in this? UL is a Racket - it doesn't resemble a Business in any way.

This looks like more Delusional Thinking and Big Talk - from the same corrupt people that are busy enriching themselves at the expense of the Sri Lankan people.

Drain the swamp! Close this down ASAP!.
                          Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by lordvader View Post
                            http://www.sundaytimes.lk/161204/new...ee-219118.html

Hope TPG wins, especially now that TMA/Blackstone and SATS aren't part of Super Group (which is now probably like Peace Air - a bunch of overenthusiastic investors promising the world). Even if TPG's bid is not as attractive as the former 2 bidders, at least they'll be realistic about SriLankan and it will have a good future given their wealth of experience turning around bankrupt airlines.
                            Sounds very familiar...I see the vultures have arrived

Comment

• Hi!
                              I'm a new member, here, although I've long been a true fan of UL (and, despite the many financial difficulties being faced by the carrier, it is a carrier that still maintains an extremely high level of service, and it remains my favourite carrier across the world). This Forum seems to include great discussions, and I'm happy to have stumbled across it.
                              Anyway, I have three questions for now, if I may - (1) Does anyone know why 4R-ALH hasn't been flying for the past several weeks?, (2) It looks like 4R-ABL just had a test flight, today after a long period of inactivity... does anyone know the reason for the inactivity?, and (3) Apart from 4R-MRF, does anyone know the other UL/MJ aircraft that are supposed to be returned to lessors in 2017? (If I'm not wrong, UL has recently extended the lease for 4R-ALH from AerCap).
                              Thank you!

Comment

• Hi, again!
                                I just wanted to add two more points after reading some older posts on this fine Forum -
                                (1) I believe that the domestic airline that the GOSL plans to start is going to make use of SLAF aircraft, which I think is a great idea since there's peace on the island, now... plus - using Air Force non-combat aircraft that are practically ready-to-use would save costs and also be immediately attractive to whichever investor ultimately partners with UL (so, the investment from the new partner could be better, too).
                                (2) Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that seven aircraft will come in to the UL fleet between early 2017 and early 2018 - the two new 320s, the four new 321s, and the one new 333 (as per renegotiated deal with AerCap); and, two more 333s will be handed over to PIA within the next few months on a long-term dry-lease (although since PIA is suffering losses through its 333-based Premier Service, this dry-lease from UL might not be a 100% sure thing).
                                Thanks and regards!
                                Last edited by quickingleyero; 05-12-2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X