This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post
    More Fairy Tales - Emirates wouldn't touch UL with a 10 foot pole imho.
    EK has its own set of challenges to address at the moment, so it is very unlikely that they will have any interest whatsoever in UL, not to mention the acrimonious separation they had with UL last time around.

In terms of value proposition, the only real value UL can offer is their rights to fly in to places like China (due to UL's status as a national career). This is only a very remote possibility and even if EK decides to pursue this, it will be EK metal flying around with a UL code share slapped on it (Like EK did on DXB-JFK-DXB back in the mid 2000s)

Recently EK was banned from expansion in China for 6 months, due to violation of ATC instructions, but that is only a temporary measure. However, the access UL has to China for instance may be of interest to EK.

Again, this is a very very remote possibility.

Comment

• How many different config do UL 320s have?

C20Y120 - ABM/N/O/P

C12Y138 - ABL/ANA/B

C12Y150 - MRE

Are above ones correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
        I'll believe it when I see it, more hogwash IMHO. Reduction of loss is being touted as a big achievement now so we have to settle on everything swept under the carpet and everything run as business as usual.

Nothing is going to happen unless IMF forces the gov to do something.

http://www.ft.lk/article/622275/SriL...r-Yahapalanaya
        The board and CEO should be sacked. The loss widened from LKR9,522.07mn in 15/16 to LKR13,427.03 in 16/17 even before one off items such as the Airbus aircraft were considered. And as for the headcount, they shouldve made a concerted effort to reduce staff like what happened at QF and other successful airlines before.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordvader View Post
          The board and CEO should be sacked. The loss widened from LKR9,522.07mn in 15/16 to LKR13,427.03 in 16/17 even before one off items such as the Airbus aircraft were considered. And as for the headcount, they shouldve made a concerted effort to reduce staff like what happened at QF and other successful airlines before.
          As per Reuters, SriLankan Airlines says Airbus agreed to change 4 x A350 order. UL is planning to select different aircraft model instead of A350 which were scheduled for delivery from 2019.

I hope UL will consider to get more A320/1.

Comment

• Originally posted by MalaysiaMustafa View Post
            How many different config do UL 320s have?

C20Y120 - ABM/N/O/P

C12Y138 - ABL/ANA/B

C12Y150 - MRE

Are above ones correct?
            Please check : http://www.airsrilanka.org/fleet

I heard that 4R-ANC at the delivery centre at XFW and ferry flight to Colombo at the end of June.

Hi NP330,

Any update on transferring the AOC of ex-Mihin fleet to UL ? will it be painted and configured after AOC transfer completed or they will be remain in white color and returned to lessor ? When ALA will be returning to service?

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
              As per Reuters, SriLankan Airlines says Airbus agreed to change 4 x A350 order. UL is planning to select different aircraft model instead of A350 which were scheduled for delivery from 2019.

I hope UL will consider to get more A320/1.

Last edited by Serendib; 17-06-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Emirates gets green light for more daily frequencies

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                  Emirates has been given approval by the Sri Lankan government to increase frequencies between Dubai and Colombo to seven per day from a current five. The new flights will be effective from July 28 on a temporary operating permit basis on condition that Sri Lankan Airlines will be allowed a second, daily flight to Dubai, official sources revealed.

Does DXB route making profit for UL ? I thought it's an over saturated route and dominated by EK. Isn't that better idea UL to increase more flights to KWI, DMM where they have "open skies" agreement. SL gov better to negotiate with Oman & Saudia Arabia governments for getting approval for increasing more frequencies to JED, MCT, RUH by UL. Currently single Daily UL flights are flying to Gulf Except for DMM (4 weekly). I think it's a better if UL operate double daily onboard A320 to MCT, AUH, BAH, DOH, DMM, DXB and double daily A332 service to KWI, JED & RUH. So it can give even better connections with Indian Sub Continent and Far East Destinations.

Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                  CCEM has also decided to allow flydubai, Dubai’s budget carrier, to reduce its flights to Mattala Airport to four per week from seven based on the same condition attached to allowing Emirates more flights

I was always wondered how FZ survived on HRI route for so long

Comment

Does DXB route making profit for UL ? I thought it's an over saturated route and dominated by EK.
                    it is not oversaturation...it is mainly transit pax...since UL has surrendered FRA and CDG EK is filling the gap.
                    Isn't that better idea UL to increase more flights to KWI, DMM where they have "open skies" agreement. SL gov better to negotiate with Oman & Saudia Arabia governments for getting approval for increasing more frequencies to JED, MCT, RUH by UL. Currently single Daily UL flights are flying to Gulf Except for DMM (4 weekly). I think it's a better if UL operate double daily onboard A320 to MCT, AUH, BAH, DOH, DMM, DXB and double daily A332 service to KWI, JED & RUH. So it can give even better connections with Indian Sub Continent and Far East Destinations.
                    UL should seriously think about MNL rather than MEL...but again with such a financial situation...I am still puzzled how does UL going to survive.

I was always wondered how FZ survived on HRI route for so long
                    your guess is good as mine

Comment

• Harry J hooks up with Japan’s ANA, JAL for SriLankan Airlines - See more at: http://w

ANA and JAL two major competitor coming to buy a stake on UL...Hmmm...did I read the biggest BS ever

Consortium expresses interest to Govt. to own 49% stake and manage national carrier   By Nisthar Cassim Senior business leader Harry Jayawardena has teamed up with Japan’s leading carriers ANA and JAL in a consortium to acquire a 49% stake along with management of SriLankan Airlines. The Daily FT learns that the consortium has conveyed its expression o ..

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                        ANA and JAL two major competitor coming to buy a stake on UL...Hmmm...did I read the biggest BS ever

http://www.ft.lk/article/623045/Harr...ankan-Airlines
                        More Fairy Tales imho.

49% is a non starter. See below.

Example with 49% ownership:-

0900 -HHR fired because he's corrupt human garbage.

0915 - Decision reversed by GOSL minister.

0930 - HHR back on the job "Business as usual"

Example with 51% + ownership

0900 - HHR fired because he's corrupt human garbage.

0915 - GOSL minister calls

0916 - GOSL minister told to "Eat S***"

0920 - Another useless clown gets fired.

Just like the TPG Group - when these guys do their due diligence they will discover:-

- Massive debts with even more to come.
                        - Entire fleet leased at above market rates with more aircraft to come.
                        - 12 year aircraft leases with no termination clause.
                        - Useless GOSL appointees at all levels that can't be fired.
                        - 4000 surplus staff that can't be fired.
                        - A culture of impunity and zero accountability.

The net result of the above is that is impossible to make any money and there is nothing that can be done to change that.

Why would anyone want any part of this?

If someone wants an Airline they can start one from zero with the proper safeguards in place at a fraction of the cost.
                        Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• I can't see ANA and JAL teaming up together as they are fierce competitors. However Harry J is one of the few people in Sri Lanka who could stop the rot at UL and so any bid by him should be encouraged.

I agree with Ejanson about the ownership stake. Harry should demand the chairman position for himself and a 60% stake. Otherwise the next government will force out the CEO and management like what MR did to Peter Hill and EK.

Comment

• Sandaru,

Does Himalaya Airlines still flying to Colombo? It was flying to Colombo until few months ago. I cannot see now Colombo flight schedule listed on their airline website.

I can't see Mega Maldives airlines flying Colombo too.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordvader View Post
                              I can't see ANA and JAL teaming up together as they are fierce competitors. However Harry J is one of the few people in Sri Lanka who could stop the rot at UL and so any bid by him should be encouraged.

I agree with Ejanson about the ownership stake. Harry should demand the chairman position for himself and a 60% stake. Otherwise the next government will force out the CEO and management like what MR did to Peter Hill and EK.
                              We need someone to stop the rot and I am pretty sure JAL and ANA are being bandied about to meet the government's criteria about the investor requiring airline management experience and probably would have nothing if this come to fruition.

I am trying to remember SLIC the deal that happened about a decade back, can someone with more knowledge on that affair please shed some light on it?

Comment

Sandaru,

Does Himalaya Airlines still flying to Colombo? It was flying to Colombo until few months ago. I cannot see now Colombo flight schedule listed on their airline website.

I can't see Mega Maldives airlines flying Colombo too.
                                It's seems to be that both aren't flying to CMB now

Comment

Working...
                                X