This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by edthenna View Post
    I will not get carried away by what these opportunist politicians say.
    I believe my previous explanation was sufficient to understand the cause for present predicament SriLankan has faced.
    Believe me nothing much will happen in SriLankan in spite of all these rosy talks. I know how this company works. Unfortunately it lacks real go-getters in its top management. Their focus is not align with the business plan of a crisis ridden establishment. There is no sense of urgency within the top management circle to get out of this consistent loss of public money.
    There will be two scenarios I can predict with confidence now.
    1. Next Budget Finance Minister will say that SriLankan has further reduced their losses and on the way to better manage the finances (naturally with shrinking network the cost will go down and the losses will trim down, but accumulated loss will further increase)
    2. After 5 years in to their new business plan there will be a new government and SriLankan management will present the next batch of political jokers with a new business plan for next five years for recovery.
    I agree - all talk and no action.

There are some very capable people working there - unfortunately they are not the people in charge. They've also lost a lot of their best people to the ME3.

A job at SriLankan is seen as a "job for life". Most of the office staff are just there to collect their salary and benefits while delivering the minimum performance. It is impossible to fire anybody. Promotions are seniority based so all the Donkeys end up running entire departments!

If you have to make a decision then you become responsible - so the best option is to do nothing! Then you can't be blamed!

From my own experience - a whole office full of people and only 1 person can actually help you. If they are on leave then you are SOL!

This is really how things work. You can't run an Airline like this.

There is still a culture of impunity and zero accountability at UL. Until this changes everything else is a complete waste of time.

Latest rumour - they are frantically trying to cancel the A350's. Good luck with that!

Looks like another huge financial fiasco for the taxpayers coming up.
    Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post
      Latest rumour - they are frantically trying to cancel the A350's. Good luck with that! .
      Should UL really need to take delivery of 3 x A350s from ILFC next year? UL also placed direct orders for four additional A350s with Airbus, deliveries from 2018 to 2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
        Should UL really need to take delivery of 3 x A350s from ILFC next year? UL also placed direct orders for four additional A350s with Airbus, deliveries from 2018 to 2021.
        Where does UL want to fly A350s. The A333 are pretty new and if UL is dropping FRA, FCO and CDG, what and where to they need A350s for? CMB-MAA? CMB-MLE?

Comment

• Srilankan flight hit by a bird in Tiruchi

A Sri Lankan Airlines flight (UL131) from Colombo to Tiruchi suffered a bird hit while landing at the Tiruchi Airport last morning. The aircraft was grounded at the airport for more than seven hours, The Hindu newspaper reported.

According to sources, the bird hit was reported in the left engine of the aircraft while landing. The aircraft had a safe landing.

The return flight (UL132), which was scheduled to leave at 9.40 a.m yesterday, was delayed. A team of engineers of the airlines arrived in Tiruchi by the afternoon flight from Colombo and rectified the problem. The flight left for Colombo by 5.20 p.m last evening.

Aircraft : 4R-ABK

Source : http://www.colombogazette.com

Comment

• Originally posted by flylanka View Post
            Where does UL want to fly A350s. The A333 are pretty new and if UL is dropping FRA, FCO and CDG, what and where to they need A350s for? CMB-MAA? CMB-MLE?
            I agree! Since UL is struggling from poor finance situation, they should be thinking about replacing the ageing A332s with younger A332s. It seems to be so many second hand A332s are in the market with good lease rates:

Good thing they are replacing the A343s with new A333s.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalairliners View Post
              Latest information from TLS

1669 F-WWCO (4R-ALP) SriLankan Airlines fcs ofh tn ‘LP’
              1687 (F-WWKV) (4R-ALQ) SriLankan Airlines to fl

So looks like 1687 in the picture in #6153

First engine run msn206 F-WWSE 23/9/2015
              Hi Digitalairliners, Do you have any latest update about 4R-ALQ ?

There are rumours UL may cancel A350 orders with ILFC / Airbus. I've always wondered what happens to an airline that has signed a firm order but cancels it. If a firm order is a legally binding contract, then what sort of penalties or fees are the aircraft manufacturers entitled to?

Comment

• I wish they continue flies Europe with some adjustments like connecting to Toronto or New York via Paris and Frankfurt. I heard London is a profitable destination.

Comment

Hi Digitalairliners, Do you have any latest update about 4R-ALQ ?

There are rumours UL may cancel A350 orders with ILFC / Airbus. I've always wondered what happens to an airline that has signed a firm order but cancels it. If a firm order is a legally binding contract, then what sort of penalties or fees are the aircraft manufacturers entitled to?
                  msn 1687 F-WWKV flew from TLS to Chateroux for paint/cabin on the 19th November. So probably back in TLS next week.

Shame to hear about the A350s, I guess all contracts are different but some have large penalties if you search for the Skymark A380s.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalairliners View Post
                    msn 1687 F-WWKV flew from TLS to Chateroux for paint/cabin on the 19th November. So probably back in TLS next week.

Shame to hear about the A350s, I guess all contracts are different but some have large penalties if you search for the Skymark A380s.
                    Thanks Digitalairliners for an update. Good to know 4R-ALQ (1687) up for a paint work to Chateaoroux. I think Airbus factory is busy again with producing A330 series probably they don't have enough space in TLS to paint this aircraft. Has 4R-ALR (cn1689) received the test rego? and is Cn1689 still without paint & engines?

Hi 330_340, Hope you're doing well ! You got pictures of F-WWKV (1687) which visited Chateaoroux on 19-Nov?

Comment

• Originally posted by ULA340 View Post
                      I wish they continue flies Europe with some adjustments like connecting to Toronto or New York via Paris and Frankfurt. I heard London is a profitable destination.
                      I wish that too but UL doesn't have enough aircraft to expand the network to transatlantic routes. In my opinion it's a sensible decision they are looking to increase the flights to Japan, China and India. If they are not receiving A350 next year, UL fleet number will go down from 21 to 18 or 19 aircraft. UL were about to replace A332 with A350 one for one basis in Jul,Aug, Sep 2016 so lease must be running out for 4R-ALH & 4R-ALJ end of 2016. I think they are thinking to shrink the long haul routes and focus on short/ medium haul destinations with their limited number of aircraft.

Hi Haleef, do you think UL has good demand/Profit in operating Tokyo route? They are thinking to increase the frequencies to Tokyo from 4 to 5 weekly.

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev
                        Hi 330_340, Hope you're doing well ! You got pictures of F-WWKV (1687) which visited Chateaoroux on 19-Nov?
                        Sorry, i missed it !!!
                        Expect pics near Dec 4th : nov 19th and 17 days painting .
                        C.U
                        Best regards.
                        330_340

https://www.flickr.com/photos/330_340/

Comment

Has 4R-ALR (cn1689) received the test rego? and is Cn1689 still without paint & engines?
                          From the 18th December we have it seen in a hanger painted but no mention of engines.

1689 F-WWYF Sri Lanka fcs Hangar

It was then not seen on the 21st,22nd,25th or 26th November in other spotter logs.

Are they both expected in Sri Lanka before the end of 2015?

Comment

• Words fail me......

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post
                              hahahaha.....y'all voted for a change......the only thing that changed are the thieves. I love this political circus.

Comment

• Originally posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
                                hahahaha.....y'all voted for a change......the only thing that changed are the thieves. I love this political circus.
                                Well I am not sure who you are referring y'all...but sure I did not vote for any of them...so did you vote for the previous Ali Baba
                                Last edited by Speedbird; 29-11-2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X