This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lordvader View Post
    I can't see ANA and JAL teaming up together as they are fierce competitors. However Harry J is one of the few people in Sri Lanka who could stop the rot at UL and so any bid by him should be encouraged.
    Harry J's credibility is as low as SL politicians...people who knows about Harry J knows what type of person he is

Comment

• I was just thinking about these lease contracts.

- 12 years with no termination clause.
      - Lease prices above market rates.

This is a disaster for the Airline.

However this increases the value of this deal - and increases the Commission paid out.

Deliberate or incompetence?

All the more reason to investigate this deal - nothing would surprise me anymore.
      Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
        Harry J's credibility is as low as SL politicians...people who knows about Harry J knows what type of person he is
        What little I found on the SLIC deal..... I remember there was some inquiries at that time, but not sure of the eventual outcome. How did Sri Lanka Insuarance fare after this deal?

The sale of SLIC was conducted by a Tender Board which did not have the approval of the Cabinet. Though Jayawardena’s Aitken Spence, Distilleries and Aitken Spence Insurance were awarded the sale, SLIC was eventually bought over by hitherto unknown offshore companies which were not even evaluated by the Tender Board. One of these companies, Greenfield Pacific Holdings of Gibraltar had not even been in existence at the time the cabinet awarded the shares of SLIC to the Aitken Spence conglomerate

http://www.nation.lk/2007/05/27/news1.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by Haleef View Post
          Technical fault. Now okay, and returned back into service.
          Now 4R-ANA is inactive since 13 June .
          Furthermore yesterday's abu dhabi flight was supposed to be by 4R-ANB but faced a 4.5 hour delay and they had put 4R-ABM

Any idea what's going on with the neos?

Comment

• The government will re-negotiate the purchase and termination contracts with the Airbus Industries and airline leasing company AerCap as it has become an unbearable burden on the country, Public Enterprise Development Minister Kabir Hashim said yesterday. ..

The Board remains in place - "Business" as usual!

Looks like they don't even have the money to pay Aercap. As I stated previously the A350 will be the final nail in the UL coffin.
            Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by 4R-ALA View Post
              Now 4R-ANA is inactive since 13 June .
              Furthermore yesterday's abu dhabi flight was supposed to be by 4R-ANB but faced a 4.5 hour delay and they had put 4R-ABM

Any idea what's going on with the neos?
              4R-ANB flew to Trivandrum yesterday in the morning. My father operated on that flight. Have a few pictures, will try to share. I think this was its' second flight after being fixed. It was grounded for I think a week due to a technical fault.
              Haleef Ismail
              www.youtube.com/haleef1 | www.instagram.com/cmb_spotter

Comment

• Rumour: SriLankan might go for A330neos in replacement of the remaining A359 aircraft?
                Haleef Ismail
                www.youtube.com/haleef1 | www.instagram.com/cmb_spotter

Comment

• Now, from the horse's mouth!

Originally posted by Cayman View Post
                  EK has its own set of challenges to address at the moment, so it is very unlikely that they will have any interest whatsoever in UL, not to mention the acrimonious separation they had with UL last time around.

In terms of value proposition, the only real value UL can offer is their rights to fly in to places like China (due to UL's status as a national career). This is only a very remote possibility and even if EK decides to pursue this, it will be EK metal flying around with a UL code share slapped on it (Like EK did on DXB-JFK-DXB back in the mid 2000s)

Recently EK was banned from expansion in China for 6 months, due to violation of ATC instructions, but that is only a temporary measure. However, the access UL has to China for instance may be of interest to EK.

Again, this is a very very remote possibility.
                  EK denies interest in UL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Haleef View Post
                    Rumour: SriLankan might go for A330neos in replacement of the remaining A359 aircraft?
                    Why does UL need more long haul aircraft when they want expand regionally? Isn't that bad idea to get expensive aircraft like A330neo.

Comment

• Originally posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
                      What little I found on the SLIC deal..... I remember there was some inquiries at that time, but not sure of the eventual outcome. How did Sri Lanka Insuarance fare after this deal?

The sale of SLIC was conducted by a Tender Board which did not have the approval of the Cabinet. Though Jayawardena’s Aitken Spence, Distilleries and Aitken Spence Insurance were awarded the sale, SLIC was eventually bought over by hitherto unknown offshore companies which were not even evaluated by the Tender Board. One of these companies, Greenfield Pacific Holdings of Gibraltar had not even been in existence at the time the cabinet awarded the shares of SLIC to the Aitken Spence conglomerate

http://www.nation.lk/2007/05/27/news1.htm
                      Well this minor compared some of the other shenanigans...GOSL took over SLIC back

Comment

• Originally posted by Cayman View Post
                        Nothing new here...

Comment

• September deadline for SriLankan - no more bailouts

meh...so says a politician

SriLankan Airlines may not have funds to continue from next September hence a strong decision has to be taken on it, State Minister for State Enterprise Development Development, Lakshman Yapa Abeywardana said. He made this comments while assuming duties as the news State Minister for State Enterprise Development, at the World Trade Centre. Speaking to Daily News Business the Deputy Minister said that the Treasury has funded the airline and bailed it out on many occasions. However this cannot go on after September.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                            That's bankruptcy then - there are no other options.

The only thing that changes between now and September is several $Million more in losses.

The moment the GOSL stops putting money in this is finished.

Comment

• President Maitripala Sirisena is reported to have asked for a report on the salaries paid to the members of the board of directors of SriLankan airlines. ..

These are easily obtainable - why the need for a report? Too little to late imho.

13000pounds - sounds like former CEO Manoj Gunawardene who's been living in London at the expense of the Airline.

This has been going on for years and now it's suddenly an issue?

This is all talk - nothing will happen as usual. These people protect each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
                                Why does UL need more long haul aircraft when they want expand regionally? Isn't that bad idea to get expensive aircraft like A330neo.
                                If I had to guess - this looks like another 12 year contract at above market rates without a termination clause

The Airline has to pay no matter what - another Epic Fail and a complete disaster.

Best thing is to close UL down today imho.

Comment

Working...
                                X