This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
    I wouldn't take anything related with Peace Air seriously at all. The first version of it started way back around 25 years ago with announcements of operations with a couple of 747 combis.... which supposedly floundered due to lack of government approval to support the national airline according to interviews given by the owner then....

This outfit and backer resurfaced again (can't remember the name) right about the time when UL was being privatized by CBK's government and there were some news paper articles about this 'gallant' backer was going to outbid EK ensuring that UL did not fall into foriegn hands....

Now it appears he is back again... looks like of some sort of racketeering to me as a lot of other airlines have started in the 25 years in SL this operation has been 'attempting' to fly.
    How can someone even come up with a name as bad as "Peace Air" for an airline

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
      Here I can name a few airlines operating to Colombo throughout Winter 2016. Good to see Austrian is coming back again in Winter 2016 after operating in Winter 2015.

Winter 2016

Air China - 3 weekly - A330 - PEK-CMB
      Austrian Airlines - 1 weekly - B767 - VIE-CMB
      KLM - 2 weekly - B787 - AMS-CMB
      LOT - Charter - B787 - WAW-CMB
      Thomson - 1 weekly - B787 - LGW-CMB
      UIA - 2 weekly - B767 - KBP-CMB

I want to see Italian aircarriers to take advantage of Colombo route in Winter seasons as UL already terminate the flights to Rome on the 1 May. any update?
      Thomson Airways to add more seasonal service to Colombo throughout Winter 2016.

Stockholm-Colombo - bi weekly (effect 16-Dec) B787-9
      Helsinki-Colombo - bi weekly (effect 23-Dec) B787-9

Comment

• In 2011, Aviation week reported that Taiwan Gov permitted TransAsia to fly Colombo. Any idea why it wasn't materialised?

Comment

Is Helitours still flying on MA60 on their domestic ops?

I read on the CH Aviation that CAA of SL have grounded the pair of Helitours MA60s from flying for passenger operations due to unspecified technical issue on the aircraft . What a waste of money for getting MA60s. Currently Helitours doing the ops on Y12 & Bell 412. Now Helitours looking at leasing two more aircraft for domestic ops.
          I am still miffed by SLAF is one of the very very few operators of the MA 60, a type that was banned in a few countries. The next development MA 600 was what SLAF should have obtained. MA 60 is a clone AN 26 (not even AN 32)

And I had a thrill ride in a MA 60 going into a short runway, it wasn't fun. And in one accident, the post accident photos were not nice to look at.

Originally posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
          How can someone even come up with a name as bad as "Peace Air" for an airline
          Why not ? It's all about marketing Especially when there is PEACE

Originally posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
          I wouldn't take anything related with Peace Air seriously at all. The first version of it started way back around 25 years ago with announcements of operations with a couple of 747 combis.... which supposedly floundered due to lack of government approval to support the national airline according to interviews given by the owner then....

This outfit and backer resurfaced again (can't remember the name) right about the time when UL was being privatized by CBK's government and there were some news paper articles about this 'gallant' backer was going to outbid EK ensuring that UL did not fall into foriegn hands....

Now it appears he is back again... looks like of some sort of racketeering to me as a lot of other airlines have started in the 25 years in SL this operation has been 'attempting' to fly.
          I have a clue who this may be. Well, he is a bit correct, if it is the same guy you are hinting at. One of his statement was, why do we need Foreigners to teach us how to run an airline, when EK itself has a lot of Sri Lankan pilots and manager. And all he wanted was to kick out the unions, bring back Sri Lankans working overseas, put everybody on a new contract, reform the airline and ensure the government takes their fingers out of UL. Maybe he could have got it right, as, I understood, he has enough experience in running large businesses.

Originally posted by banuthev View Post
          In 2011, Aviation week reported that Taiwan Gov permitted TransAsia to fly Colombo. Any idea why it wasn't materialised?

http://www.airsrilanka.org/old/downl...lombo-news.pdf
          Insufficient Traffic ? From Taiwan, most of the traffic to PH and elsewhere, carried by Transasia is Tourist Charters.

PS, unrelated, but may be true: I heard on the grapevine the reason for keeping Mihin alive Still a lot of paybacks it seems.

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post
            Makes perfect sense.

No money = no options. UL has reached the point where decisions are made for them. They are out of options. Too little - too late imho. This won't stop the inevitable bankruptcy.

What deal? Qatar has never been interested. Akbar showed up, laughed in their face, and left.

More fairy tales! There is no money so this will not happen.
            QR inks codeshare deal with UL.
            Last edited by Serendib; 06-06-2016, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serendib View Post
              How is SriLankan doing on CMB-DOH route ?
              Currently the route being served by QR 3xdaily A346 and UL 1xdaily A333.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serendib View Post
                That adds credence to UL pulling out of most EU destinations - they can now route pax through DOH on QR.
                Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

How is SriLankan doing on CMB-DOH route ?
                  Currently the route being served by QR 3xdaily A346 and UL 1xdaily A333
                  KMG as well

Comment

• Originally posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
                    KMG as well
                    How is Mihin doing on CMB-DAC route? They do 10 weekly if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post
                      That adds credence to UL pulling out of most EU destinations - they can now route pax through DOH on QR.
                      UL already have a codeshare agreement with Etihad. So I'm not sure what's special QR codeshare deal going to do for UL ?

I'm wondering why does the simple codeshare-deal become a big news on media : http://news.google.com/news/search?u...=all&scoring=n

Comment

How is Mihin doing on CMB-DAC route? They do 10 weekly if I'm not mistaken.
                        As far as i heard flights are always full.

MJ501/502 (MTWTFSS) A321

MJ507/508 ( T T S) A319
                        Last edited by dilushasg-bdavi; 10-06-2016, 07:46 PM.

Comment

UL already have a codeshare agreement with Etihad. So I'm not sure what's special QR codeshare deal going to do for UL ?

I'm wondering why does the simple codeshare-deal become a big news on media : http://news.google.com/news/search?u...=all&scoring=n
                          ONE word : oneworld

Comment

EY is operating 3 flights per day eff: 01JUN16 GDS updated !
                            AN01JUNAUHCMB/AEY -AC- ** AMADEUS AVAILABILITY - AN ** CMB COLOMBO.LK 76
                            WE 01JUN 0000
                            1 EY 262 J7 C7 D6 W5 Z4 Y7 B7 /AUH 1 CMB 1150 1800 E0/320 SUBJECT TO GOVERNMENT APPROVAL
                            2 EY 264 J7 C7 D6 W6 Z5 Y7 B7 /AUH 1 CMB 1345 1955 E0/320 4:40
                            3 EY 266 J7 C7 D7 W7 Z7 Y7 B7 /AUH 1 CMB 2125 0335+1E0/32A 4:40

Comment

• Originally posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
                              As far as i heard flights are always full.

MJ501/502 (MTWTFSS) A321

MJ507/508 ( T T S) A319
                              Yes the flights to DAC are mostly full and this is one of the routes that MJ is doing well on. However the fares to DAC are pretty much on the expensive side with Jet Airways via. BOM being cheaper and that too being a full service airline
                              -Aaqib Hussain
                              (Aviation Analyst | Content Creator)
                              www.youtube.com/airlines747

Comment

• Moves to wind up Mihin Lanka?

As per today's article on daily mirror. Looks like this is the end of MJ

http://www.dailymirror.lk/110795/Mov...p-Mihin-Lanka-
                                -Aaqib Hussain
                                (Aviation Analyst | Content Creator)
                                www.youtube.com/airlines747

Comment

Working...
                                X