This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
    Thanks bro ! Good to see the schedules but do you think KLM can compete on Colombo route with only two weekly?
    Well KL is definitely going to have to fight for it on this route. Even though there are no non-stop flights the ME3 + TK will offer a ton of connections.

Maybe their flying only twice a week, so that they can target the Dutch holidaymakers.

The aircraft they will use has a good mix of seats 30J, 48Y+ and 216Y. Along with the superior economics the 787 provides it, seems that it is ideal for this, fairly long flight.

In any-case I'm really rooting for KLM to succeed in this route and to see it grow in the future

Official press release: http://news.klm.com/klm-offers-custo...-destinations/
    Last edited by TheF15Ace; 02-05-2016, 08:41 AM. Reason: To include the official press release by KL

Comment

• Originally posted by TheF15Ace View Post
      Well KL is definitely going to have to fight for it on this route. Even though there are no non-stop flights the ME3 + TK will offer a ton of connections.

Maybe their flying only twice a week, so that they can target the Dutch holidaymakers.

The aircraft they will use has a good mix of seats 30J, 48Y+ and 216Y. Along with the superior economics the 787 provides it, seems that it is ideal for this, fairly long flight.

In any-case I'm really rooting for KLM to succeed in this route and to see it grow in the future

Official press release: http://news.klm.com/klm-offers-custo...-destinations/
      I wish even Lufthansa start CMB-FRA flights in near future. They operate twice weekly flights to MLE already

Comment

• Originally posted by channa View Post
        I wish even Lufthansa start CMB-FRA flights in near future. They operate twice weekly flights to MLE already
        Even Aeroflot operates twice weekly on the SVO-MLE route with an A330-300. It is a shame that none of these airlines want to restart CMB atleast via MLE

Comment

Is it true KLM to resume Colombo end of this year ? It seems to be twice a week flight onboard B787-900. Can't wait to see "Flying Dutchman" back in Colombo after such a long time
          KLM 2 x Weekly CMB.
          Emirates 5 x Daily CMB from August.
          Qatar 3 x Daily CMB.
          Etihad 3 x Daily CMB.

How many European airlines fly to Australia?
          Only BA 1 x Daily to SYD.

Cannot see this lasting too long just like BA.

Frequency and Connections = More Options, and this is what matters. The days when my father used to organise his leave based on the Air Ceylon LHR-CMB flight schedule are long gone.

Hope that I am proved wrong.

I have flown may times on KLM from LHR to CMB via AMS in the 70's and 80's. First trip was on a DC10-30 PH-DTE!

Comment

• Originally posted by 744777 View Post
            KLM 2 x Weekly CMB.
            Emirates 5 x Daily CMB from August.
            Qatar 3 x Daily CMB.
            Etihad 3 x Daily CMB.

How many European airlines fly to Australia?
            Only BA 1 x Daily to SYD.

Cannot see this lasting too long just like BA.

Frequency and Connections = More Options, and this is what matters. The days when my father used to organise his leave based on the Air Ceylon LHR-CMB flight schedule are long gone.

Hope that I am proved wrong.

I have flown may times on KLM from LHR to CMB via AMS in the 70's and 80's. First trip was on a DC10-30 PH-DTE!
            Missed one TK Daily to CMB

Comment

Thanks bro ! Good to see the schedules but do you think KLM can compete on Colombo route with only two weekly?
              I think this is a seasonal service (Winter) any way an extremely good news...More airlines will fly to CMB if they lowered the landing cost

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                I think this is a seasonal service (Winter) any way an extremely good news...More airlines will fly to CMB if they lowered the landing cost
                Reservation for direct AMS-CMB flights now open on KLM.com and it's EUR 824 for return flights for AMS-CMB 7-Nov and CMB-AMS 4-Feb.

According to Colombopage, KLM is going to operate AMS-CMB direct flights throughout Winter 2016. Don't they have enough demand to operate the CMB flights also in the Summer season? In the past AMS-CMB route was operated by Air Lanka (until 90s), KLM (until 90s) later the route served by Martinair and Arkefly.

There are developments we have seen several airlines served CMB for the Winter seasonal service from Nov 15 to Mar 16. Here are the names : Austrian Airlines (Austria), Neosfly (Italy), LOT (Poland) and Azuraair (Russia). Very sad BA hasn't showed any interest in operating LHR-CMB service after terminating LGW-MLE-CMB last year. UL cancelled Rome from the 1st May.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sandaru View Post
                  Okay then if this is true, UL#1 A350 should be 4R-XWA and UL#3 should be 4R-XWC
                  That's a change from 4R-A** registrations of SriLankan. :-O
                  airfleets.net is showing UL is to take delivery of MSN55 with Reg : 4R-XWB : http://www.airfleets.net/listing/a350-1.htm

MSN52 undergoing rework while MSN55 still in the parking stand. Wondering why winglet is missing on MSN55 in the below picture.
                  A350-900 SRILANKAN AIRLINES MSN055 FUTUR 4R-XWB

source : Jérémy Le roch

Comment

• MSN52 undergoing rework while MSN55 still in the parking stand. Wondering why winglet is missing on MSN55 in the below picture.
                    I don't think they are fitted on during final assembly. They will probably be added during the rework phase before being painted.

Comment

According to Colombopage, KLM is going to operate AMS-CMB direct flights throughout Winter 2016. Don't they have enough demand to operate the CMB flights also in the Summer season? In the past AMS-CMB route was operated by Air Lanka (until 90s), KLM (until 90s) later the route served by Martinair and Arkefly.
                      Sri Lanka is a seasonal destination for Europeans (Winter only). Very little Premium traffic and it is a low yielding route.

There is also an issue with Sri Lanka pricing itself out of the market - Thailand and Malaysia are both much better value for money.

I flew for air holland when they operated AMS-MCT-CMB-MLE-MCT-AMS with the B752. This route was a huge money loser.

I flew for Martinair when they operated AMS-AUH-CMB-MLE-AUH-AMS with the B752 and later AMS-CMB-AMS with the B763. Again a money losing operation.

I can't see KLM doing any better - I expect this route will be discontinued after 1 season.
                      Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post
                        Sri Lanka is a seasonal destination for Europeans (Winter only). Very little Premium traffic and it is a low yielding route.

There is also an issue with Sri Lanka pricing itself out of the market - Thailand and Malaysia are both much better value for money.

I flew for air holland when they operated AMS-MCT-CMB-MLE-MCT-AMS with the B752. This route was a huge money loser.

I flew for Martinair when they operated AMS-AUH-CMB-MLE-AUH-AMS with the B752 and later AMS-CMB-AMS with the B763. Again a money losing operation.

I can't see KLM doing any better - I expect this route will be discontinued after 1 season.
                        But the European winter holiday market has significantly changed. A lot of typical "sun" destinations in Northern Africa are being avoided due to the terror threat.

I have no doubt the flights you mentioned above were failures, but two were operated using a (relatively) short ranged aircraft using using a stop and the other by pushing a gas guzzling 767 to its limit.

This time a around might be different for KLM.

BTW competition from Thailand and Malaysia will always exist but some like a bit of variety or prefer to visit a destination that is not so mainstream.
                        Last edited by TheF15Ace; 06-05-2016, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• More corruption at the DGCA...

...alleged failure to adhere to international safety standards...
                          ...alleged fraud at the Civil Aviation Authority...
                          ...for violating the Chicago Convention...
                          "alleged" - yeah right!

Time for ICAO to act before there is an accident involving UL - all the conditions exist for this to happen - they've been very lucky not to have had one.

Probably just more talk.

I imagine that e-mails and letters have been deleted/destroyed especially since some of the people involved are still working at UL.

What a sad state of affairs!
                          Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

But the European winter holiday market has significantly changed. A lot of typical "sun" destinations in Northern Africa are being avoided due to the terror threat.

I have no doubt the flights you mentioned above were failures, but two were operated using a (relatively) short ranged aircraft using using a stop and the other by pushing a gas guzzling 767 to its limit.

This time a around might be different for KLM.

BTW competition from Thailand and Malaysia will always exist but some like a bit of variety or prefer to visit a destination that is not so mainstream.
                            Here I can name a few airlines operating to Colombo throughout Winter 2016. Good to see Austrian is coming back again in Winter 2016 after operating in Winter 2015.

Winter 2016

Air China - 3 weekly - A330 - PEK-CMB
                            Austrian Airlines - 1 weekly - B767 - VIE-CMB
                            KLM - 2 weekly - B787 - AMS-CMB
                            LOT - Charter - B787 - WAW-CMB
                            Thomson - 1 weekly - B787 - LGW-CMB
                            UIA - 2 weekly - B767 - KBP-CMB

I want to see Italian aircarriers to take advantage of Colombo route in Winter seasons as UL already terminate the flights to Rome on the 1 May. any update?

Comment

I don't think they are fitted on during final assembly. They will probably be added during the rework phase before being painted.
                              Yes I am wondering how come only one winglet was fitted on MSN55 during the S30 (FAL). Must be the case that second winglet wasn't ready for her at the time. If i am not mistken, rework phase mostly done in the tents and parking stand to fix the minor parts have been missed/broken during final assembly. Rework phase takes approx 1 month (longer if customer needs more modification) then the aircraft will be sent for painting which takes only two weeks. MSN55 has to be taken back to hangar in S30 (FAL) for second winglet fitting which needs special heavy tools and it has to be done in the hangar if i am not mistaken.

By looking at the below picture was taken on 4-May, engineers are working also on interior of MSN55.

4R- SriLankan Airlines Airbus A350-941

MSN60 arrived in P18 for outdoor ground testing as of 4-May.

Comment

Here I can name a few airlines operating to Colombo throughout Winter 2016. Good to see Austrian is coming back again in Winter 2016 after operating in Winter 2015.

Winter 2016

Air China - 3 weekly - A330 - PEK-CMB
                                Austrian Airlines - 1 weekly - B767 - VIE-CMB
                                KLM - 2 weekly - B787 - AMS-CMB
                                LOT - Charter - B787 - WAW-CMB
                                Thomson - 1 weekly - B787 - LGW-CMB
                                UIA - 2 weekly - B767 - KBP-CMB

I want to see Italian aircarriers to take advantage of Colombo route in Winter seasons as UL already terminate the flights to Rome on the 1 May. any update?
                                As far as I'm aware Alitalia is the only Italian carrier with aircraft capable of flying Italy-Colombo non stop. Even if they wanted a shot at it it's doubtful it'll happen with Etihad having inserted itself deep into AZ. Anything flying East will probably be shuttled to AUH on AZ metal and carried onward via EY.

Norwegian Long Haul/Norwegian Air International could give it a go if they decide to have an operational base in Italy but it will have to fight very hard to compete against the ME3+TK
                                Last edited by TheF15Ace; 08-05-2016, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X