This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by edthenna View Post
    I believe UL should have given priority to MXP over FCO. This sector was planned on a request made by the SL Community in Italy to H.E. President some time back. The chunk of the traffic from Italy is VFR...and our community largely centered in places like Verona, Bologne and Venice the closest gateway for them is MXP. This is where ME3 are still having a larger market share of our ethnic traffic ex Italy.

SYD/MEL is a different story....we are late to recommence this sector. SL Diaspora and Ethnic traffic is not sufficient to sustain this route and it needs at least 60% of feeder traffic. BEY supported this sector when it was first operated. Now with ME3 and and others well connected in BEY, UL will have to look elsewhere. These are the results of not sustaining established long haul routes with proper revenue optimization strategy.

Re introducing SYD/MEL at this stage with current UL network and connectivity will only add further burden to the colossal losses UL is making and we the public are bearing with taxes.
    Agree with you 100%. A lot of people seem to think UL into SYD/MEL will be profitable because of the diaspora. That said they don't realise that UL will get next to none feeder traffic. Plus the Sri Lankan diaspora fly based on price, not pride.

Comment

I believe UL should have given priority to MXP over FCO. This sector was planned on a request made by the SL Community in Italy to H.E. President some time back. The chunk of the traffic from Italy is VFR...and our community largely centered in places like Verona, Bologne and Venice the closest gateway for them is MXP. This is where ME3 are still having a larger market share of our ethnic traffic ex Italy.
      I Agree with you... Here in MXP we had much cargo and pax than FCO. In FEB2012 UL was planning to CXL FCO and operate a direct flight to MXP combined with MLE at least one flight. But the situation changed.. Even with empty flights during the last months travel agents started saying to their customers that all Srilankan flights were full! But at the airport they discovered the opposit... no one did anything to solve the issue!!! even we "airport staff" already explained to the relevant sectors what was happening....

Rumors says that there was another issue with cardinal's travels to the Vatican... If UL operates the flight to MXP, Cardinal have to change the ac and get Alitalia to FCO... (that was a very bad service... ) finally MXP was CXLD.... and all ethnic traffic from northern Italy is going to the EK, QR, WY, EY, TK.

The answer I got from someone in UL was: "Oh Milan... just a seasonal flight..and I'm not interested to fill a flight with 50.000 srilankans in Milan" Am not pointing fingers to anyone.. But if they dnt know the real situation and what happened with UL571 must not say anything... Must say that person forgot that there are srilankan all over northern Italy like Verona, Venice, Bologna, Turin etc... and the inbound passengers from CPH, ARL, OSL, VIE, ZRH, NCE, LIS, MAD, BCN, OPT, AMS. Now they are pointing to the Canadian passengers. Dnt know the situation in FCO, but ppl from Milan will use for sure ME carriers. If they have to do transit they will surely go to DXB, DOH, MCT than FCO! FCO is the worst airport in Italy for mishandling bags...

Sorry to say that srilankans are really difficult to handle.... Here initially we started with 30FBA, then it was increased to 35KG+7KG HB, again to provide a good service we introduced for the first time 40KG FBA + 7KG HB. We were in competition with EK, UL ruined their business starting the operations to MXP. They had a good demand for MXP-CMB via DXB. The 40KG FBA was not enough to the srilankan passengers... everytime my check-in staff had issues with passengers with exs baggage, usually srilankans nominated "my mother" as I was there saying that we could not pass exs baggage....but the same passegers were Flying with ME carriers without saying anything and of course paying the exs weight. MXP in theree years did revenue 30.000 EUR. (10.000 EUR per year, UL target was 9.000 USD) EXS baggage. It was embrassing when the ME carriers staff were wondering about our passengers as they are very calm with them and not the same with UL! ( I can just give a little example, first AOG flight in MXP due Technical issue with the seat of the F/O, flight was delayed to 2.30 a.m till the spare part was arriving from MUC with LH flight. As per UL regulations all CMB-FCO pax were sent to AZ via LIN, all MXP-CMB pax were given HOTAC with meals, finally the flight was ready and during the second time boarding I was slapped by a srilankan, because the flght was delayed)! I had to wear the orthopedic collar for two weeks and no actions were taken against the passenger... This is UL, but I still love UL).

Comment

• Originally posted by lordvader View Post
        Agree with you 100%. A lot of people seem to think UL into SYD/MEL will be profitable because of the diaspora. That said they don't realise that UL will get next to none feeder traffic. Plus the Sri Lankan diaspora fly based on price, not pride.
        I thought UL gonna start MEL next month : http://airlineroute.net/2015/02/13/ul-s15update2/

Comment

• Originally posted by lordvader View Post
          Yes !! definitely to melbourne but non stop l don't think it's can get good profit, needs to stop singapore or malaysia it's my opinion

Comment

• Is SriLankan Airlines have plans to start flights to United states & Canada in Future?

If we get A350s then it'll be profitable if UL fly New York via Frankfurt and Toronto via London.

And an added advantage for Europe bound flights.

Comment

• flying Australia will be another burden for UL.

Comment

• Originally posted by AirCeylon View Post

( I can just give a little example, first AOG flight in MXP due Technical issue with the seat of the F/O, flight was delayed to 2.30 a.m till the spare part was arriving from MUC with LH flight. As per UL regulations all CMB-FCO pax were sent to AZ via LIN, all MXP-CMB pax were given HOTAC with meals, finally the flight was ready and during the second time boarding I was slapped by a srilankan, because the flght was delayed)! I had to wear the orthopedic collar for two weeks and no actions were taken against the passenger... This is UL, but I still love UL).
                Sorry to hear your encounter with a rude Sri Lankan passenger.By the way do not judge the entire Sri Lankan community with one such incident...... The use of excess baggage as a sales tool is common to most SriLankan Airlines stations. Instead of looking at different selling techniques and USP'S most staff has a tendency of using ex baggage to sell the product. This is not a smart thing to do and as you clearly said the ex baggage level keep increasing and the end result is competitors match it. when the facility is discontinued , the trade does not properly educate the passengers and commotions start taking place at the airport check-in counters further damaging the airline reputation with customers.

Comment

Sorry to hear your encounter with a rude Sri Lankan passenger.By the way do not judge the entire Sri Lankan community with one such incident...... The use of excess baggage as a sales tool is common to most SriLankan Airlines stations. Instead of looking at different selling techniques and USP'S most staff has a tendency of using ex baggage to sell the product. This is not a smart thing to do and as you clearly said the ex baggage level keep increasing and the end result is competitors match it. when the facility is discontinued , the trade does not properly educate the passengers and commotions start taking place at the airport check-in counters further damaging the airline reputation with customers.
                  I've done what I was asked to do by the Airline. This is one of the rude episodes... Srilankan are doing these kind of things just only with UL and not with Others...

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalairliners View Post
                    Latest information from TLS

1669 F-WWCO (4R-ALP) SriLankan Airlines fcs ofh tn ‘LP’
                    1687 (F-WWKV) (4R-ALQ) SriLankan Airlines to fl

Taken from here http://digitalairliners.com/toulouse/

So looks like 1687 in the picture in #6153

First engine run msn206 F-WWSE 23/9/2015
                    Hi Digitalairliners, Do you have any latest update about 4R-ALP ? Has now fitted with the interiors and seats? I am quite surprised why no movement of this aircraft since it done the test flight on 7 October. Good to hear UL scheduled to operate all A333 service to Frankfurt, London, Paris & Tokyo from Nov 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serendib View Post
                      Is SriLankan Airlines have plans to start flights to United states & Canada in Future?

If we get A350s then it'll be profitable if UL fly New York via Frankfurt and Toronto via London.

And an added advantage for Europe bound flights.
                      I would love to see that but I doubt UL will try transatlantic routes any time soon due to ongoing finance issue and limited aircraft fleet which wouldn't increase for next 5yrs. UL is in the process of replacing the ageing fleet not increasing number of fleet because there is no money. They simply need to provide an excellent service to passengers on their current destinations.

Comment

• 4r-alh isnt in service for few days i guess, it is in hangar for??

Comment

• Anyone know which variant of the Boeing 747 did Saudi Arabian Airlines (SV) Operate to CMB in the late 90's?
                          -Aaqib Hussain
                          (Aviation Analyst | Content Creator)
                          www.youtube.com/airlines747

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaqib View Post
                            Anyone know which variant of the Boeing 747 did Saudi Arabian Airlines (SV) Operate to CMB in the late 90's?
                            I hve been on 747 100 also 747-30p

Comment

• Originally posted by 4R-ALA View Post
                              4r-alh isnt in service for few days i guess, it is in hangar for??
                              For engine removal !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Austrian Airlines has begun operations to the country after a lapse of 10 years with the arrival yesterday of the Boeing 767 300 aircraft with over 125 passengers including tourists on board from Vienna. The aircraft was welcomed at the Bandaranaike International Airport by the Transport and Civil Aviation Ministry Secretary Nihal Somaweera. Austria’s Consul General in Sri Lanka Seneka Amerasinghe and Austrian Air’s Vice President Hulfmann Kessinger were also present. -

See more at: http://www.dailynews.lk/?q=business/....D9sBfXdM.dpuf

Comment

Working...
                                X