Sri Lanka Aviation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 420 of 423 FirstFirst ... 320 370 410 418 419 420 421 422 ... LastLast
Results 8,381 to 8,400 of 8448
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Air India may launch Madurai (IXM) – Ratmalana (RML) services, Aircraft – ATR-72-600.
    Any source?

I read from dailynews SLgov is talks with Indian airline and private operator to start new destinations in India from RML.

Why UL216 (4R-ANA) got late to depart from Bahrain International Airport yesterday(13th)? FR24 indicates that it leaved the main apron at 20:09 UTC and then again entered to Western apron at 20:41 UTC before departing to Colombo 21:12 UTC

I heard in the news today that the resurfacing work would be complete on the VCBI's runway two weeks ahead of schedule. Now does this mean that the quality of the resurfacing work is compromised. It also said that UL may be able to resume day flights for some destinations meanwhile until the original timeline of resurfacing others carries would stick to the current amended schedule as they have no time to change them back to the normal schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by banuthev View Post
    Any source?

I read from dailynews SLgov is talks with Indian airline and private operator to start new destinations in India from RML.
    According to AI sources, they requested for IXM – CMB but CAA proposed IXM – RML.

Nothing is finalized yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    According to AI sources, they requested for IXM – CMB but CAA proposed IXM – RML.

Nothing is finalized yet.
    Question is would RML produce enough pax to fill a ATR72-600. And the main problem is RML would be not favourable for anyone from Colombo north and beyond.
    Anyway does anyone know the landing/service/takeoff charges between RML and CMB. Does RML have facilities like Catering etc

Quote Originally Posted by Mach3 View Post
    Question is would RML produce enough pax to fill a ATR72-600. And the main problem is RML would be not favourable for anyone from Colombo north and beyond.
    Anyway does anyone know the landing/service/takeoff charges between RML and CMB. Does RML have facilities like Catering etc
    Right now, there's a large Indian & Maldivian community living and working in Lanka, and a lot of them live along the wellawatte, dehiwala, mount Lavinia stretch. My thinking is that this is for them.

Blog Entries

Maldivian Airlines RML-MLE flights

Just contacted Maldivian Airlines GSA here in Colombo, the First flight from RML will be scheduled for the 28th of March,scheduled to be operated 3 times a week utilizing their Bombardier Dash8 Q300, seating 50pax

Quote Originally Posted by Aaqib View Post
    Just contacted Maldivian Airlines GSA here in Colombo, the First flight from RML will be scheduled for the 28th of March,scheduled to be operated 3 times a week utilizing their Bombardier Dash8 Q300, seating 50pax
    Thanks. Did you mean only 3 times per week? I thought Maldivian is going to operate 3 Daily flights. Could you post the flight schedule as well please.

SilkAir begins Singapore flights from April 8

SilkAir, the regional wing of Singapore Airlines (SIA), will commence flights to Colombo on April 8,2017. SilkAir will operate three flights per week.

SIA will continue to operate its daily night flight SQ468 and return flight SQ469.

The new service to Colombo, MI428, will be on Wednesdays,Thursdays and Saturdays, with a same-day return flight operating as MI427, similar to the current SIA timing.

The services will be operated with B 737-800 aircraft, featuring both Business and Economy Class cabins.

Customers will be provided with a full-service experience, including in-flight meals, in-flight entertainment on SilkAir studio, baggage allowance of 40kg and 30kg for Business Class and Economy Class respectively, as well as through check-in if they are connecting to or from another SilkAir or SIA point via Singapore, SilkAir flies to 52 destinations in 14 countries.

http://www.dailynews.lk/2017/03/15/b...lights-april-8

Quote Originally Posted by Aaqib View Post
    Good news and thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendib View Post
    Right now, there's a large Indian & Maldivian community living and working in Lanka, and a lot of them live along the wellawatte, dehiwala, mount Lavinia stretch. My thinking is that this is for them.
    Beyond the Indian community in Colombo. Colombo South (Bambalapitiya, Wellawatte, Dehiwala, Mount Lavinia and Soysapura) has a significant Sri Lankan Tamil population. So it's better, if they can use that opportunity to cater them with some south Indian cities especially like MAA (Chennai). They can ask Air India Express, SpiceJet or Jet Airways since all of them have regional aircrafts which can be landed at RML.

Good move of converting RML to a regional airport.

Quote Originally Posted by umedhah View Post
    Some rumors.... She is going to get Air Ceylon livery.... Not 100% confirmed...
    I heard that SriLankan A321 (4R-MRD) will be painted in Air Ceylon livery in June/July 2017 for 70 years celebrations.

I heard that SriLankan A321 (4R-MRD) will be painted in Air Ceylon livery in June/July 2017 for 70 years celebrations.
    That's a good news 😀

Wow that's soo nice!!

Can someone please let me know if there is an air travel demand from Colombo to Hydrabad?

If I am not mistaken, most of the IXM passengers are flying to CMB to take transit for Gulf and Far East flights. Better idea is MAA-RML.

I am very surprised, Expo Aviation of Sri Lanka had a ATR in their fleet. Why didn't fly MLE, MAA, TRZ flights from RML ?

Cant they be able to extend the RML runway towards land-side to accommodate A320/B737?

Waste of money building an airport in HRI. SLgov must have build the second runway for CMB and improve the RML to the standard to handle regional flights.

More than the Runway, the problem I have heard is the Parliament complex. It's on the direct flight path, 05 miles away from the runway.
    They can lineup turbo props, without flying over the complex but a jet liner will be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by csilva_lk View Post
    More than the Runway, the problem I have heard is the Parliament complex. It's on the direct flight path, 05 miles away from the runway.
    They can lineup turbo props, without flying over the complex but a jet liner will be a problem
    Parliament will not be in the "direct flight path" on a perceived ILS approach on 22. It is about 1 mile Northwest of the flight path.

It may intrude on the exclusion zone though. I am not sure of the size of no-fly zone around the parliament.

Aren't they gonna lease return that plane before that. What's going on, so is UL planning to absorb that plane to their fleet. It may be nice to see an air Ceylon retro livery around but then I heard these ex-MJ airplanes are leased at a highly inflated rate.

Hope , they will do one in Air Lanka colour scheme as well !

Quote Originally Posted by SKYBUCK729 View Post
    Hope , they will do one in Air Lanka colour scheme as well !
    I see no reason why an airline on life support waiting for the plug to be pulled spend money on retro livery.

From an aviation enthusiasts point, yes, I get the urge, but once you take a pragmatic view of it, it was never like both Air Ceylon and Air Lanka were the proud achievements of the nation to celebrate.

Under both guises they just burned through the precious little money the country had, which otherwise would have been spent on programs that would have been beneficial to masses.