This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sfernando34 View Post
    What is the mode of transportation for the Sri Lankan delegation when they travel to the United Nations Assembly? All of these other leaders arrive flying aboard jets from their national airlines, or aboard their own private government jets. However, I have never once heard of the Sri Lankan delegation arriving at JFK in a SriLankan Airlines plane. Why is this? I know several JFK spotters who go every year to spot for UN week, and they have never seen SriLankan there. Does the delegation fly commercial? Do they charter an aircraft from another airline? I am very curious about this. The President almost always flies to other countries using a SriLankan or Mihin aircraft, so why not the United States? The distance can't be the cause, because MR flew to Bolivia a few years ago aboard a UL A343 via CPT. Does anyone have any ideas?
    I may be wrong, but as far as I know, if you do not operate commercial service to US and have obtained the required safety certificates, you cannot operate certain classes of aircraft in US airspace. There is an exception if the aircraft is US registered (N-XXXXX). As UL have no US registered aircraft it is obviously not allowed to operate in to JFK.

Comment

• Originally posted by sfernando34 View Post
      What is the mode of transportation for the Sri Lankan delegation when they travel to the United Nations Assembly? All of these other leaders arrive flying aboard jets from their national airlines, or aboard their own private government jets. However, I have never once heard of the Sri Lankan delegation arriving at JFK in a SriLankan Airlines plane. Why is this? I know several JFK spotters who go every year to spot for UN week, and they have never seen SriLankan there. Does the delegation fly commercial? Do they charter an aircraft from another airline? I am very curious about this. The President almost always flies to other countries using a SriLankan or Mihin aircraft, so why not the United States? The distance can't be the cause, because MR flew to Bolivia a few years ago aboard a UL A343 via CPT. Does anyone have any ideas?
      MS took EK651 to Dubai and must be on one of the DXB-JFK flights now (most probably EK207). You are correct, even MR never flew to UN on UL metal for some reason. Could be a regulatory reason where Sri Lanka is not listed in the FAA - IASA list.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4R-ADA View Post
        What is the meaning behind this? Now MJ is flying alongside UL to Chennai and Maldives?
        What is the point to this? I fail to see any rational logic behind this. The quicker this airline is branded into a true LCC (with a new name), the better. There should be NO duplication of routes between the 2 brands.
        No need. Better merge for now. We can consider a LCC when we have a good economy. Now it's wastage of public tax.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cayman View Post
          I may be wrong, but as far as I know, if you do not operate commercial service to US and have obtained the required safety certificates, you cannot operate certain classes of aircraft in US airspace. There is an exception if the aircraft is US registered (N-XXXXX). As UL have no US registered aircraft it is obviously not allowed to operate in to JFK.
          MS & his delegation flew to Dubai on an EK flight ( this was shown on the tv news ), so i believe they would have flown the A380 from Dubai to JFK afterwards.

Update : ජනපති ඇමෙරිකාවට යයි. Most visited website in Sri Lanka.
          Last edited by anthonylk; 24-09-2015, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CalgaryLankan View Post
            MS took EK651 to Dubai and must be on one of the DXB-JFK flights now (most probably EK207). You are correct, even MR never flew to UN on UL metal for some reason. Could be a regulatory reason where Sri Lanka is not listed in the FAA - IASA list.
            You need approval to operate in MNPS (Minimum Navigation Performance Specification) Airspace. Airline needs to have a training program in place to gain state approval.

There is nobody in the Airline Management that has the faintest idea how to go about this.

Also the crew need crew visas to enter the USA. This is a time consuming process (assuming that this is even possible). Took me almost 3 months to obtain.

Most Leaders arrive on regularly scheduled flights. Why spend more public funds? Hasn't enough money been wasted already?
            Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post
              You need approval to operate in MNPS (Minimum Navigation Performance Specification) Airspace. Airline needs to have a training program in place to gain state approval.

There is nobody in the Airline Management that has the faintest idea how to go about this.

Also the crew need crew visas to enter the USA. This is a time consuming process (assuming that this is even possible). Took me almost 3 months to obtain.

Most Leaders arrive on regularly scheduled flights. Why spend more public
              funds? Hasn't enough money been wasted already?
              I agree. The previous regime wasted enough of UL funds & rode the airline to the ground. Remember the A340 trip to some place in the West Indies ??? What a waste !

Comment

• Originally posted by anthonylk View Post
                I agree. The previous regime wasted enough of UL funds & rode the airline to the ground. Remember the A340 trip to some place in the West Indies ??? What a waste !
                Well don't forget their frequent trips to the Big Blightly !

Cayman, I do know an Asian Airline, for the purposes you mentioned, has one aircraft on N Register

Comment

• Originally posted by ecureilx View Post
                  Cayman, I do know an Asian Airline, for the purposes you mentioned, has one aircraft on N Register
                  Not sure which one you are referring to, but I remember PR used to have a couple of frames with "N" registrations. I think they were locally registered later on.

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
                    Hi digitalairliners & skyliners - Do you have any update about SriLankan's fifth A330-343E (MSN 1669) ? this aircraft was received a test rego as F-WWCO and to become 4R-ALP. Wondering if this is 242t mtow, whether engines been fitted and aircraft fully painted. It hasn't done the test flight so far if i am not mistaken.
                    so far in full cls and will be in the 242t mtow version. f/f every day now

Comment

• Originally posted by Skyliner View Post
                      so far in full cls and will be in the 242t mtow version. f/f every day now
                      Sri Lankan A330 F-WWCO cn 1669 on 11-9-2015. Was a few minutes outside.

Comment

• Originally posted by anthonylk View Post
                        That would have been St. Kitts to try and get the Commonwealth Games for Hambanthota. Good they didn't get it - what a disaster that would have been!

Then there was the Lisbon - Havana - Rio de Janeiro - Johannesburg trip to attend the Earth Summit. That's all about conservation and sustainable development! Nice message showing up with an A340 and a 200 man entourage!

UL would have had to absorb all these costs - they submitted a bill earlier this year (seemed a bit low to me). Now it's all gone strangely quiet once again.

To the best of my knowledge there are no current Aviation related investigations ongoing. That needs to change!
                        Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by AF777 View Post
                          Sri Lankan A330 F-WWCO cn 1669 on 11-9-2015. Was a few minutes outside.
                          Already painted?

Comment

• Originally posted by AirCeylon View Post
                            Already painted?
                            Yes, 4R-ALP (Cn 1669/F-WWCO) already been painted before 11 Sep and it's now waiting for Test flight.

Hi Digitalairliners & skyliner,

Any idea about the rego of the SriLankan A330-300 visible in this pic ? This picture was taken on 23 Sep 2015 during Emirates A380 (Cn206) engine test. I think this A330-300 is 4R-ALQ (Cn 1687). What is the test rego of Cn 1687 ?

First engine run msn206 F-WWSE 23/9/2015

Pic source : A380_TLS_A350.

Comment

• Flight diverted to BIA to treat injured child

An Indonesian Garuda passenger airline flight en route from Jakarta in Indonesia to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia was diverted to the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) this evening after a three-year-old child was injured while he was playing inside the plane, airport officials said. The child was admitted to a private hospital in Negombo soon after the plane landed. “The Boeing-777 flight with 350 passengers and 14 crew members on board was scheduled to leave soon after treating the injured child,” the official said. (T.K.G. Kapila and Deepa Adikari) - See more at: http://www.dailymirror.lk/88947/flig....rNTxT1Ct.dpuf

Comment

• Originally posted by Godofpower View Post
                                Flight diverted to BIA to treat injured child

An Indonesian Garuda passenger airline flight en route from Jakarta in Indonesia to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia was diverted to the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) this evening after a three-year-old child was injured while he was playing inside the plane, airport officials said. The child was admitted to a private hospital in Negombo soon after the plane landed. “The Boeing-777 flight with 350 passengers and 14 crew members on board was scheduled to leave soon after treating the injured child,” the official said. (T.K.G. Kapila and Deepa Adikari) - See more at: http://www.dailymirror.lk/88947/flig....rNTxT1Ct.dpuf
                                Oh that's bad. How did the child got injured in the plane? Normally the flights between Indonsia and Saudia are flying above Colombo and they have done emergency landing few times in CMB. On the other hand GA flew schedule flights on CGK - Saudia via CMB using DC10s in 1980s if iam not mistaken. Any possibilities GA resuming those flights to CMB once again. But Mihin Lanka is doing some important role in bringing passengers from both Medan and Jakarta over to CMB for transitting Saudi flights. I think SL Gov should close the MJ and UL has to start the subsidery on the name of SriLankan Express to serve routes like CGK SHJ etç..

Comment

Working...
                                X