This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post

They've already tried to sell UL to EK and QR - an indication of how dire the financial situation really is.
    Is this a recent attempt by the new government?

I thought EY would have been a better bid.

EK has clearly stated in many occasions that they are mostly interested in organic growth supplemented by code share agreements rather than acquisitions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cayman View Post
      Is this a recent attempt by the new government?
      If I remember correctly it was earlier this year - was covered in the newspapers.

I imagine these were very short meetings and most of the meeting would have consisted of people laughing hysterically!
      Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

If I remember correctly it was earlier this year - was covered in the newspapers.

I imagine these were very short meetings and most of the meeting would have consisted of people laughing hysterically!
        Who is that Mr.Dhammika Perara ? Rumour has he is interested in buying MJ. I wish they make MJ's name and livery to be changed and best alternative name for Mihin Lanka is "SriLankan airtaxi" with exotic livery. New brand should have the proper LCC Model.

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
          Who is that Mr.Dhammika Perara ? Rumour has he is interested in buying MJ. I wish they make MJ's name and livery to be changed and best alternative name for Mihin Lanka is "SriLankan airtaxi" with exotic livery. New brand should have the proper LCC Model.
          Dhammika Perera is a Sri Lankan businessman. Currently the richest person in Sri Lanka, he is the founding Chairman and Managing Director of Vallibel One Group, which is a holding company with investments in financial services, tile and sanitary ware manufacturing, and leisure sectors through its subsidiaries L B Finance PLC, Royal Ceramics Lanka PLC group and Greener Waters Ltd. It holds a 14.99% stake in Sampath Bank PLC.

Comment

• Dhammaika was BOI chairman too under MR's regime.

He must have enough money to buy MJ and he may do it for Mahinda.(MJ was his baby)

BTW I want to see Mihin named as Srilankan Express

Comment

EK in particular is very unlikely to touch UL with a 10 feet pole. STC specially mentioned UL as an example of a failed partnership during the recent press conference he had in defense of EK's position in the US3 Vs. ME3 battle.

I think in the business world, it is naive to say 'never', but EK may not be the suitor for UL.

EY on the other hand has a precedence of acquiring struggling carriers and trying to turn them around. But, then again, what has UL got to offer to make itself attractive to any buyer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Srilankan1 View Post

BTW I want to see Mihin named as Srilankan Express
                That will dilute the UL brand further. Look at what Air India Express has done to Air India. Not that AI had much of a brand to start with, nevertheless!

MJ will be better off being absorbed in to UL.

The concept of budget airlines has been a good one, but in my opinion it is passed its prime in Asia.

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
                  I think you should read this interview with him. The introduction explains him

"His business acumen is spot on. He is quick to identify an opportunity regardless of the economic environment. His strength is numbers where any company that fits his business model would soon be molded into success. Dhammika Perera is a prominent figure in the Sri Lankan business landscape. Unknown to many He is the wielding hand behind a plethora of companies in the country. Many of his acquisitions are successes and his reach has spread across sectors. Since 1999 He has awakened the sleeping giants of corporate Sri Lanka. He is proving that the impossible is possible!"
                  By Udeshi Amarasinghe | Photography Menaka Aravinda and Mahesh Bandara

Last edited by Godofpower; 21-09-2015, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cayman View Post
                    That will dilute the UL brand further. Look at what Air India Express has done to Air India. Not that AI had much of a brand to start with, nevertheless!

MJ will be better off being absorbed in to UL.

The concept of budget airlines has been a good one, but in my opinion it is passed its prime in Asia.
                    What about changing the name of Mihin Lanka to AirLanka? Our LCC should be flying SAARC countries only.

Comment

• Fly Colombo

A Symbol of Freedom

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalairliners View Post
                        Yes not unusual to have interiors and then fly.

1650 flew today (21st) so would think mid August a more likely delivery date if not delayed by French holidays.
                        1669 was seen 15th July on flight line at TLS , the person who saw it does not comment that the tail was painted.

1668 F-WWCC Hong Kong Airlines, primer/tail painted
                        1669 F-WWCO SriLankan Airlines, primer
                        1671 F-WWTJ Garuda Indonesia, primer/tail painted
                        Hi digitalairliners & skyliners - Do you have any update about SriLankan's fifth A330-343E (MSN 1669) ? this aircraft was received a test rego as F-WWCO and to become 4R-ALP. Wondering if this is 242t mtow, whether engines been fitted and aircraft fully painted. It hasn't done the test flight so far if i am not mistaken.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Max View Post
                            What is the meaning behind this? Now MJ is flying alongside UL to Chennai and Maldives?
                            What is the point to this? I fail to see any rational logic behind this. The quicker this airline is branded into a true LCC (with a new name), the better. There should be NO duplication of routes between the 2 brands.

Comment

• What is the mode of transportation for the Sri Lankan delegation when they travel to the United Nations Assembly? All of these other leaders arrive flying aboard jets from their national airlines, or aboard their own private government jets. However, I have never once heard of the Sri Lankan delegation arriving at JFK in a SriLankan Airlines plane. Why is this? I know several JFK spotters who go every year to spot for UN week, and they have never seen SriLankan there. Does the delegation fly commercial? Do they charter an aircraft from another airline? I am very curious about this. The President almost always flies to other countries using a SriLankan or Mihin aircraft, so why not the United States? The distance can't be the cause, because MR flew to Bolivia a few years ago aboard a UL A343 via CPT. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by Max View Post
                                The last picture shown through the window is NOT Muscat, it is "The Treasury" in Petra, Jordan!

Shows the level of professionalism of those who run things at Mihin.

Eveyone blamed MR for corruption and incompetence, the new lot is even worse!

Comment

Working...
                                X