Sri Lanka Aviation


 

News Headlines..
   



 

+ Reply to Thread
Page 412 of 470 FirstFirst ... 312 362 402 410 411 412 413 414 422 462 ... LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,240 of 9385
  1. #8221
    Quote Originally Posted by Haleef View Post
    SriLankan A320neo performed its first flight today nearly 1 hour ago at Germany. She will be landing in another 1 hours time today.
    https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/digro/...39123/sizes/l/

  2. #8222
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    looks like you haven't traveled between North America and South Asia
    try doing a booking between YOW and CMB on Srilankan.com web site and let me know the transit time
    Second tier cities always have lengthy connections, not just for CMB, typically for most places. Try YYZ for better connections.

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    Are you aware LHR Airport Tax is one of the highest in Europe?
    Really? Airport tax is the criteria for selecting a flight. For the most people it would be safety, schedule and airfare in that order or any other order. (I understand that airfare comprise the Airport tax, but that makes a very insignificant difference in the real world)

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    double daily that's a wishful thinking UL has sold some of the slots??? that was the previous managment
    Agree, that was not a very prudent decision.

  3. #8223
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
    Second tier cities always have lengthy connections, not just for CMB, typically for most places. Try YYZ for better connections.
    yes & have you tried YYZ or YUL on srilankan.com

    originating flights are all red eye and long layover for the connection

    by the way Ottawa - Gatineau is the 4 - 5 largest city in Canada with over 6000 diplomats/160 Embassies, the Feds & Canadian Silicon Valley (Pop 1.35 Million)

    it is not a second tier City...you must getting confused with Canberra in AU

    Ottawa has very good connection to any European/US/Asian/Latin American destination with less than 2 - 3 hour connection from Toronto/Montreal/London/Frankfurt/New Jersey/Philadelphia/Chicago on a SINGLE airline

    Really? Airport tax is the criteria for selecting a flight. For the most people it would be safety, schedule and airfare in that order or any other order. (I understand that airfare comprise the Airport tax, but that makes a very insignificant difference in the real world)
    airport tax is part of the airfare...which adds up...compared to CDG and FRA


    Agree, that was not a very prudent decision.
    Hmmm...
    Last edited by Speedbird; 10-02-2017 at 01:32 AM.

  4. #8224
    Quote Originally Posted by TheF15Ace View Post
    They have EK, EY, QR, CX, SQ, JL(connecting to UL in NRT), KW just off the top of my head. Though admittedly I'm not sure how the timing is for connections on some of these carriers. But there are plenty of airlines to choose from.
    Connection through NRT is not popular and expensive too.It is the same for CX

  5. #8225
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    looks like you haven't traveled between North America and South Asia
    try doing a booking between YOW and CMB on Srilankan.com web site and let me know the transit time
    I have actually though it was on EK.

    BTW YOW is a bad example to try and show connections between South Asia and North America. While it's not a second tier city it also doesn't have as much demand as say YYZ or YUL. Those are amply served

    Are you aware LHR Airport Tax is one of the highest in Europe?
    Doesn't mean that it isn't used as a transit point on a daily basis.
    .




    double daily that's a wishful thinking UL has sold some of the slots??? that was the previous managment
    Alot of UL's future planning is wishful thinking. I just mentioned an idea that was floated around last year. And if they are really serious they can always try to lease the slots to operate a flight

  6. #8226

  7. #8227
    Quote Originally Posted by TheF15Ace View Post
    I know talk is cheap

  8. #8228
    Quote Originally Posted by TheF15Ace View Post
    I have actually though it was on EK.

    BTW YOW is a bad example to try and show connections between South Asia and North America. While it's not a second tier city it also doesn't have as much demand as say YYZ or YUL. Those are amply served
    Please read my previous response...it is same for YYZ and YUL

    by the way you are aware that EK has only 3 flights per WEEK for Canada


    Doesn't mean that it isn't used as a transit point on a daily basis.
    .
    there is a cost even for transit...tax is wrong term i used



    Alot of UL's future planning is wishful thinking. I just mentioned an idea that was floated around last year. And if they are really serious they can always try to lease the slots to operate a flight
    ...talk is cheap my friend
    Last edited by Speedbird; 10-02-2017 at 01:29 AM.

  9. #8229
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Connection through NRT is not popular and expensive too.It is the same for CX
    It was a big mistake to drop CDG and FRA...lets hope that KLM or AF fill in the gap...Try LH and you will be surprised

  10. #8230
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    Please read my previous response...it is same for YYZ and YUL

    by the way you are aware that EK has only 3 flights per WEEK for Canada
    Yes but ealier since you mentioned North America in general EK is still quite a good option.


    ...talk is cheap my friend
    Indeed. Just wanted to provide a source for what I posted earlier.

  11. #8231
    Senior Member Haleef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ratmalana, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    332
    Thank you!

  12. #8232
    Quote Originally Posted by Azamh View Post
    Air France earlier this week opened reservation for planned service to Maldives, announced by the airline on Monday. From 01NOV17, the Skyteam member plans to operate Paris CDG – Male route twice a week, with 3-class Boeing 777-200ER aircraft.

    AF222 CDG2050 – 1020+1MLE 772 36
    AF223 MLE1305 – 1935CDG 772 47

    //. I think it's high time AF starts to cmb as UL doesn't fly to CDG
    AF can thank UL for giving away this traffic to them. It looks like as a result of UL dropping Paris, AF have stepped in to fill the void left for the Maldives market.
    Maldives is way more higher yielding than Sri Lanka in general, so it makes more sense that AF go there.

  13. #8233
    The first flight of 4R-ANA

    SriLankan_A320neo_4R-ANA_20170209_HAM-1

    SriLankan_A320neo_4R-ANA_20170209_HAM-2

    Captured By - Dirk Grothe

  14. #8234
    The first flight of 4R-ANA


    4R-ANA at Hamburg - Fuhlsbuettel
    by Lars Hentschel on netAirspace.com

  15. #8235
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    yes & have you tried YYZ or YUL on srilankan.com
    I think you seem adamant that you need to travel to CMB from your city:
    1. On UL (at least partly)
    2. Avoid LHR and transit in continental Europe

    Your desire to promote CDG and FRA as UL destinations stem from the above, despite the overwhelming evidence (as even stated by UL) that those two destinations were hemorrhaging.

    If your requirement is to travel from your city to CMB it is obvious that there are so many options.

    To answer the question above: No, I have not tried. Ever since the UL management came back to GoSL, I have flown with UL only twice.

    My handful of trips to Canada have always been via land.


    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    by the way Ottawa - Gatineau is the 4 - 5 largest city in Canada with over 6000 diplomats/160 Embassies, the Feds & Canadian Silicon Valley (Pop 1.35 Million)

    it is not a second tier City...you must getting confused with Canberra in AU
    Didn't mean to be-little your city and I have not confused it with Canberra BTW.

    Didn't know Canada had a Silicon Valley These days everyone has one, so why not Canada!

  16. #8236
    http://www.ft.lk/article/597058/SriL...rcial-contract

    It means A330 300 with PIA will be back soon , Srilankan can now take out old A330 200's from service and keep seven new A330 300's in fleet

  17. #8237
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
    I think you seem adamant that you need to travel to CMB from your city:
    1. On UL (at least partly)
    2. Avoid LHR and transit in continental Europe

    Your desire to promote CDG and FRA as UL destinations stem from the above, despite the overwhelming evidence (as even stated by UL) that those two destinations were hemorrhaging.

    If your requirement is to travel from your city to CMB it is obvious that there are so many options.

    To answer the question above: No, I have not tried. Ever since the UL management came back to GoSL, I have flown with UL only twice.
    My requirement for CMB is very minimal. I usually travel (to CMB) once a year or less & I have no loyalty or whats or ever to UL. My loyalty is to Star Alliance...most North America passengers are loyal to Star Alliance (UA/AC) or Sky Team (DL)...AA is not popular.

    If I want to fly to LHR I will use AC from YOW or YUL (YUL is only 2 hours drive from Ottawa). But I do track Air transport industry and how the market grow and change

    If you check the transit time (CMB) from YUL or YYZ it is over 10hours (10 - 20 hours) in LHR...no sane passengers are going to take it

    Even though I despise tin pot dictator MR...the only correct decision they did was buying A359 but not definitely at that lease rate (that is MR corruption).

    For traditional airlines future is in the long haul and ultra long haul; aircraft manufactures have seen that that is the reason they are promoting B787/77X/A35X...not in short haul or regional...Short haul and regional market is going to be taken up by no frills...short haul and regional margins are very low...I am not sure how UL is going to survive in this market.

    Only way a Sri Lankan Airline (public or private) can survive is

    CMB to be privatize
    de monopolize the Jet A1 buisness
    if it full service...then move into long haul
    if it no frill...shorth haul or regional

    Sri Lankan socialist model of government companies cannot survive on today's ever shrinking global village most passengers are loyal to their wallets not to the "nationalistic" airlines anymore



    My handful of trips to Canada have always been via land.

    Didn't mean to be-little your city and I have not confused it with Canberra BTW.

    Didn't know Canada had a Silicon Valley These days everyone has one, so why not Canada!
    Visiting Niagara or Toronto does not means that you have visited Canada... Real Canada is outside southern Ontario

    Yes in Ottawa we have lots of South Asians (TFW Visa) working in our tech sector...so they mostly commute to BLR

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...ticle26430302/

    YOW handles over 4.6million Pax for a city of 1.35 million and is part of the AC rapid air shuttle service
    https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../rapidair.html
    Last edited by Speedbird; 10-02-2017 at 02:26 PM.

  18. #8238
    Quote Originally Posted by Air>Ceylon View Post
    http://www.ft.lk/article/597058/SriL...rcial-contract

    It means A330 300 with PIA will be back soon , Srilankan can now take out old A330 200's from service and keep seven new A330 300's in fleet
    The lease with PIA was supposed to change to a dry lease and it was supposed to be for multiple aircraft. None of that has happened and now UL is stuck with aircraft they don't need that are leased at rates that are so high they cannot make money operating them.

    And that's a success?

    This is just another example of how everything these appointed "managers" touch turns to sh*t!
    Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

  19. #8239
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    most North America passengers are loyal to Star Alliance (UA/AC) or Sky Team (DL)...AA is not popular.
    True. When I fly domestic in USA I hardly care who I fly with because they all have rudimentary service standards. My only two exceptions are:

    1. Avoid Allegiant and Spirit (for safety reasons)
    2. Try to fly with jetBlue for transcon because Mint is very good and if you plan ahead the price is only marginally higher compared to last minute tickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    For traditional airlines future is in the long haul and ultra long haul; aircraft manufactures have seen that that is the reason they are promoting B787/77X/A35X...not in short haul or regional...Short haul and regional market is going to be taken up by no frills...short haul and regional margins are very low...I am not sure how UL is going to survive in this market.
    Agree, but where will UL fly ULH? There is no demand to fill up a wide body to North America with VFR traffic and operating one or two flights a week is not going to cut it. LHR is the only viable destination where there is sufficient demand.

    UL has a very low cost base thanks to the cheap LKR, they should leverage that advantage to compete with LCCs. (Granted, some larger expenses like lease payments and fuel are priced in USD, but all the salaries and other expenses in SL are LKR denominated.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    Visiting Niagara or Toronto does not means that you have visited Canada... Real Canada is outside southern Ontario
    Ha ha...that was an easy guess given that vast majority use the Rainbow Bridge crossing. Actually I have used the Detroit crossing a couple of times as well (Still Ontario though)

  20. #8240
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayman View Post

    UL has a very low cost base thanks to the cheap LKR, they should leverage that advantage to compete with LCCs. (Granted, some larger expenses like lease payments and fuel are priced in USD, but all the salaries and other expenses in SL are LKR denominated.)
    UL cost base is very high...salaries are very high...each air hostess makes average in between SLR 450,000 - 600,000pm (please dont get confused with base salary take home is much more)...There are 13 managers in LHR including one ex CEO (Who does absolutely nothing)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts