Sri Lanka Aviation
Mobile View

News Headlines..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 381 of 486 FirstFirst ... 281 331 371 379 380 381 382 383 391 431 481 ... LastLast
Results 7,601 to 7,620 of 9705
    Quote Originally Posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
    Unless this "crew member" was involved in a road accident or got killed, he/she should be sacked immediately for being responsible for this horrendous incident.
    Seriously, how did this happen ?

SriLankan pilots threaten to strike

Relations between the Pilots’ Guild of Sri Lanka and SriLankan Airlines management have worsened after the national carrier’s Head of Human Resources (HHR) instructed the pilots’ union not to write directly to the company’s chairman, board of directors or chief executive officer.

SriLankan Airlines’ Human Resources Head Pradeepa Kekulawala instructed the Guild to instead route its correspondence on any matters through the head of the relevant division, “adhering to the established channels of communication”.

The Guild fired back on Friday, saying it was its prerogative as a registered trade union “to address any communication to whomever we deem fit, internal or external”. Flexing its muscles further, the Guild wrote to Mr. Kekulawala, warning that, “should you or anyone else attempt to interfere in our union activities, we will not hesitate to exercise, in full, our rights”.

Since the change of management at SriLankan Airlines following elections last year, the Pilot’s Guild has flagged multiple issues regarding the running of the national carrier. It complains, however, that the concerns have not been addressed by the management.

This is the first time the Guild has threatened trade union action. It has also written to Labour Commissioner M.D.C Amaratunga, stating, “This treatment by the employer is unprecedented, and severely prejudices the rights of the Guild and our members”.
    Mr. Kekulawala has maintained that the channels of communication with employees or employee representatives are the prerogative of the company as long as the purpose of communication is achieved.

The Guild and the management also recently clashed after the latter unexpectedly restricted the use of the BIA’s Serendib (Business Class) Lounge for staff, including pilots, and their families. However, the management had retained the privilege of using the lounge for the Chairman, Board of Directors, the CEO and their families.
    http://www.sundaytimes.lk/160821/new...ke-205689.html

Quote Originally Posted by SKYBUCK729 View Post
    looks like it is "THE" pilot...apparently this is not the first time

http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2016/08/21/new11.asp
    Last edited by Speedbird; 21-08-2016 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYBUCK729 View Post
    Actually it is no accident or anything. It was a matter of the state of him being drunk. There is more info, but cannot let it out here

An interesting article about SriLankan Airlines : http://www.thesundayleader.lk/2016/0...ease-goes-dry/

Quote Originally Posted by banuthev View Post
    An interesting article about SriLankan Airlines : http://www.thesundayleader.lk/2016/0...ease-goes-dry/
    Any idea on how much revenue UL was generating when they were flying the planes themselves? If at the end of 3 months these birds are taken up by PIA on a dry lease; UL's involvement in the leases should cease right? The leasing company wouldn't continue at the same rate quoted by the sunday leader.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
    Any idea on how much revenue UL was generating when they were flying the planes themselves? If at the end of 3 months these birds are taken up by PIA on a dry lease; UL's involvement in the leases should cease right? The leasing company wouldn't continue at the same rate quoted by the sunday leader.
    No - it looks to me like UL is sub leasing these aircraft to PIA. So they have to pay the monthly leasing fees no matter what. Since they've leased them at too high a rate they will have to absorb the difference between what they get from PIA and what UL has to pay.

Tears in the rain!

https://www.colombotelegraph.com/ind...thalyzer-test/

A name-and-shame article. No surprises - the name is who I expected it to be. Not the first time either.
    Last edited by ejanson65; 21-08-2016 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Quote Originally Posted by ejanson65 View Post
    No - it looks to me like UL is sub leasing these aircraft to PIA.
    Based on what I could gather, this is what has happened.

This also means UL is footing the difference in monthly lease rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
    Based on what I could gather, this is what has happened.

This also means UL is footing the difference in monthly lease rates.
    Yes. They should have not withdrawn from FRA and CDG (they should have investigate why the yield is low on a 80% load). UL could store the aircraft and pay $1.4million p.m. or sub lease and reduce that amount. No airline in the world will pay over a $1 million for leasing A333...What the new government should have done is finding out who signed all these agreements and prosecute them...holding on to a tigers tail my friend...holding on to a tigers tail
    Last edited by Speedbird; 21-08-2016 at 04:23 PM.

SriLankan Airlines is currently working on starting direct flights to Lahore from end of Nov 2016. At the moment Lahore is being served by Mihin Lanka but this flight will discontinue from 19-Sep. Mihin Lanka has decided to drop the Lahore route due to expiry of lease of an A320 (4R-MRE) which may taken out from the service in Sep 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
    Unless this "crew member" was involved in a road accident or got killed, he/she should be sacked immediately for being responsible for this horrendous incident.
    Impossible to fire a Sri Lankan national - no matter what they do.

Of course the 'Management' was quite happy to fire me (they didn't call it that - they'd have to give a reason) and have me forced out of the country. Then they hid behind the contract like the cowards that they are while claiming to be acting in the 'National Interest' (whatever that means....).

I have never been accused of any wrongdoing - my record at the Airline speaks for itself.

As does the record of the 'Management'.
    Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

SriLankan Airlines’ Stewardess Released For Namal Rajapaksa’s Work Arrested

https://www.colombotelegraph.com/ind...work-arrested/

UL had been still paying this woman's salary after she was released to do political work.

SriLankan Airlines is currently working on starting direct flights to Lahore from end of Nov 2016. At the moment Lahore is being served by Mihin Lanka but this flight will discontinue from 19-Sep. Mihin Lanka has decided to drop the Lahore route due to expiry of lease of an A320 (4R-MRE) which may taken out from the service in Sep 2016.
    Will UL take MJ's 2 A321s and A319 with refurbished cabins?

Impossible to fire a Sri Lankan national - no matter what they do.

Of course the 'Management' was quite happy to fire me (they didn't call it that - they'd have to give a reason) and have me forced out of the country. Then they hid behind the contract like the cowards that they are while claiming to be acting in the 'National Interest' (whatever that means....).

I have never been accused of any wrongdoing - my record at the Airline speaks for itself.

As does the record of the 'Management'.
    This is absolutely ridiculous ! UL would've sacked the drunk pilot from the job !

The pilot licence of the pilot responsible for the 15-hour delay of the flight which was scheduled to fly from Frankfurt to Katunayake, has been temporarily suspended.

The Civil Aviation Authority says that this decision was reached following confirmed reports that the pilot was under the influence of alcohol.

http://newsfirst.lk/english/2016/08/...t-delay/145880

This is absolutely ridiculous ! UL would've sacked the drunk pilot from the job !
    Unfortunately the SL laws are too labor friendly. It's near impossible to sack someone (even in a private enterprise, from experience back then) unless the company is declared bankrupt.

This should be even more difficult in a state enterprise.

The pilot licence of the pilot responsible for the 15-hour delay of the flight which was scheduled to fly from Frankfurt to Katunayake, has been temporarily suspended.

The Civil Aviation Authority says that this decision was reached following confirmed reports that the pilot was under the influence of alcohol.

http://newsfirst.lk/english/2016/08/...t-delay/145880
    Typical Sri Lanka - nobody wants to make a decision!

Don't expect very much from the corrupt and incompetent CAA.

There is a disciplinary procedure in place at UL - but nothing ever happens! I think it's deliberately set up that way.

This isn't the first incident involving this individual - last time he was just put back in Line Training.

I was scheduled to fly with this individual - the F/O on this flight called me at home and told me to ensure I was the operating Captain into the destination airport! I have never had this happen in 30+ years of commercial flying! He was replaced before the flight took place.

Another story:-

For years I used to hear stories of Captains who refused to fly to Europe "if a single flake of snow falls". I used to think that was just a story until I was at the training department one day. There was a Sri Lankan Captain standing in front of me and he said those exact words!

My roster used to change with the weather patterns.

You can't run an Airline like this!
    Last edited by ejanson65; 23-08-2016 at 09:55 AM. Reason: added text

SriLankan Airlines is planning to take delivery of one A320neo (CFM) and four A321neo (PW) by 2018.

SriLankan Airlines is planning to take delivery of one A320neo (CFM) and four A321neo (PW) by 2018.
    New aircraft orders represent the complete failure of the Rule of Law.

After a few people have made their commissions and made $$ Millions on the sale and leaseback deal - UL can then lease the aircraft above market rate for 12 years!

Please no more aircraft orders - it's a disaster for the people of Sri Lanka!
    Last edited by ejanson65; 23-08-2016 at 09:15 PM. Reason: grammar

New aircraft orders represent the complete failure of the Rule of Law.

After a few people have made their commissions and made $$ Millions on the sale and leaseback deal - UL can then lease the aircraft above market rate for 12 years!

Please no more aircraft orders - it's a disaster for the people of Sri Lanka!
    I thought exactly the same as it will make losses even worse.

Actually MR government is the one who ordered 2 x B737 for MJ and 4 x A321neo for UL. But Ranil government later changed the 2 x B737 order to 2 x A320neo with ALC. It looks like UL will take those 2 x A320neos + 4 x A321neos.

Can't they be able to get the fairly new A320ceo on lower / better lease rates? Cronies filling their pocket without thinking about future of the national carrier. All these cronies are needs to be jailed.