This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
    Will UL still go ahead with the Airbus direct order for the rest of the three x A330-343E & four x A350-900s? What will happen to three x A359s coming from ILFC next year? Will the order be cancelled? Eventually SriLankan already replaced the ageing three A340-311s with brand new three A330-343Es.
    The A333 orders I believe will go ahead, where as the A359 will be cancelled. Looking at UL current route network and requirements I do not see why A359 are needed. A333 and A332 can get the job down. UL should rather focus on standardising the product offering in its current fleet of A332 and A333.

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
      Will UL still go ahead with the Airbus direct order for the rest of the three x A330-343E & four x A350-900s? What will happen to three x A359s coming from ILFC next year? Will the order be cancelled? Eventually SriLankan already replaced the ageing three A340-311s with brand new three A330-343Es.
      I'm hearing rumours the A350's are not coming due to the dire financial situation at the Airline.

It's not very clear what has been paid and what still needs to be paid.

I have requested a copy of the BOI report into the Airline - probably some more details there.

None of the UL managers are responding to my e-mails regarding clarification of events in early 2013.

Nobody at Flight Operations or HR is signing letters anymore.
      Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post
        I'm hearing rumours the A350's are not coming due to the dire financial situation at the Airline.

It's not very clear what has been paid and what still needs to be paid.

I have requested a copy of the BOI report into the Airline - probably some more details there.

None of the UL managers are responding to my e-mails regarding clarification of events in early 2013.

Nobody at Flight Operations or HR is signing letters anymore.
        This is going to turn into a very bad saga and the airline ops are gonna suffer more

Comment

• Originally posted by flylanka View Post
          The A333 orders I believe will go ahead, where as the A359 will be cancelled. Looking at UL current route network and requirements I do not see why A359 are needed. A333 and A332 can get the job down. UL should rather focus on standardising the product offering in its current fleet of A332 and A333.
          Nothing known my end but would believe A350 deliveries might be postponed by swapping delivery positions with other ILFC customers

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post

I have requested a copy of the BOI report into the Airline - probably some more details there...
            Here is the report

The board of inquiry appointed to probe corruption in SriLankan Airlines during the past regime has found shocking details of corruption, a media release b

Comment

• Originally posted by yengels View Post
              Last year, when I did a mission with work on board a B737-800, I talked to the pilot about this matter. We calculated that, when a B737 loses 1 engine, the other can still carry the aircraft but at higher engine speed. We calculated the fuel consumption and one engine less was a fuel flow reduction of about 5%.
              One of the simplest reason for 4 engines is ETOPs rules being relaxed, and that's one reason why QF and the likes are still sticking with 4 engines, swapping 747s with 380s

And the bigger benefit for some operators is the Hot and High ops which twin jets have struggled, and one operator did find out that taking off from a high altitude airport, the performance was pretty horrible, for the 772L.

And there's also a reason why SQ, while quick to jump into the 380 Bandwagon, didn't order a single 772L (if you are referring to ULH on twin jets .. )

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                Thanks Speedbird.
                Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by Skyliner View Post
                  Nothing known my end but would believe A350 deliveries might be postponed by swapping delivery positions with other ILFC customers
                  A bit of a dumb decision if true. UL needs to start replacing its ageing fleet ASAP.

Comment

• SriLankan Airlines: The big lie in the sky

On sponsorships and advertisements:

- A sum of Rs. 74.1 million was spent by the SLA on sponsoring Carlton Rugby 7s between 2009 and 2014 which included the issue of 600 free air tickets. SLA also spent Rs. 12.3 million on the Colombo night races in 2012-2013 which included the provision of 119 free air tickets.

On operation of Air Taxis:

- The BoI faulted senior management with the failed operation of the airline’s Air Taxi service and said they should be held responsible for the failure and massive loss ($2.6 million or Rs. 338 million per annum). It said there was no transparency in the entire operation including the acquisition of aircrafts.

Re-fleeting of wide body aircrafts:

- In this move, the BoI said it failed to understand why there was a decision to re-fleet in a loss making context and no evidence of short term profitability and why it involved new aircraft when leasing would have been a more financially viable option.

- The BoI also asked why the Government through the Treasury or otherwise formally allow such a large purchase to be made when the airline was making huge losses (currently Rs. 105 billion of accumulated losses and Rs. 65 billion of negative net losses).

-The BoI said the SLA’s re-fleeting approach was irrational. The SLA’s approach was an aggressive one-on-one re-fleeting strategy instead of a more staggered approach. There was a business plan presented in 2010 by the then CEO Manoj Gunawardana which provided for a staggered re-fleeting approach. However former CEO Gunawardana’s untimely exit changed this approach with the induction of Chandrasena as CEO. It appears that Gunawardana’s exit was orchestrated in order to ensure the Government’s wishes were directly upheld, regardless of its effect on SriLankan Airlines.

full text http://www.sundaytimes.lk/150405/new...ky-143593.html

Comment

• Originally posted by lordvader View Post
                      A bit of a dumb decision if true. UL needs to start replacing its ageing fleet ASAP.
                      Yes . but if you see the Financial situation of the Airline then I have to ask do we need brand new birds???

Comment

• The link only goes as far as page 99 - the rest cannot be viewed.

The evidence is pretty clear - where is the action?

Former CEO Kapila has probably fled to the USA with his ill-gotten gains.

The obvious thing to do would be to seize files and computers to prevent destruction of evidence.

COO and HHR are still in place as far as I know. These people will do anything to protect their jobs.

If it was up to me I'd have all these people handcuffed to the entry gates at the UL compound at BIA so that they can be seen by the Employees as they come in to work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                          Our old forum member friend 'kflyer' is mentioned in page 27 !

Comment

• Originally posted by Srilankan1 View Post
                            Yes . but if you see the Financial situation of the Airline then I have to ask do we need brand new birds???
                            They need newer birds, not necessarily brand new ones. That said any savings by leasing/acquiring used aircraft would probably be negated when they break all contracts with Airbus and the lessors (for the A359s) and pay the associated penalty costs.

If UL were smart a few years ago they would've lined themselves up for the 5-6 yr old SQ A333s which are currently being retired. For long range missions they could've gone with the A359 or even the A330NEO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cayman View Post
                              Our old forum member friend 'kflyer' is mentioned in page 27 !
                              what do you mean bro?

Comment

• Originally posted by Srilankan1 View Post
                                what do you mean bro?
                                He is a young kid, who used to be a fierce protector of UL and its senior management on the forum. He is a masterful spin doctor.

Later he declared that he was offered a job in UL and cannot post anymore.

His recruitment to UL was allegedly (according to the BoI report) had been carried out without established process.

This is mentioned in the last section of page 27 in the BoI report.

Comment

Working...
                                X