This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lordvader View Post
    The $15-16mn is in relation to the VIP kit that MR ordered. Apparently this was given free to UL as part of the aircraft deal.
    Makes sense.

There is a big difference between the purchase of an aircraft and a conversion kit. Wish the media learn to fact check, before they open their big mouths.

I always wonder, if they misreport to this extent on a subject that we are familiar with, what chances do we have with areas that we are not conversant in!!

Comment

The $15-16mn is in relation to the VIP kit that MR ordered. Apparently this was given free to UL as part of the aircraft deal.

See:
      http://www.economynext.com/Sri_Lanka...t-3-916-6.html
      There is nothing free in this world... you pay one way or other

Previous government has so many excesses this is one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by abhijith16 View Post
        According to airlineroute twitter feed, UL is changing a lot of things.

UL will be cancelling Moscow DME effective 06FEB (i.e - Zero'd out of the system)
        Is it true SriLankan is going to operate Moscow DME flight via Dubai from 10 Feb 2015 onboard A320/A332 with a flight Number UL531/2 operating on Tue and Sat on Route Colombo - Dubai - Moscow DME replacing the existing two weekly nonstop Colombo - Moscow DME flight. Lots of Russians Tourists use to fly Sri Lanka and the Maldives. It's very sad Moscow DME has become unprofitable for SriLankan perhaps they have low passenger load factor and low yield. Will SriLankan continue this Moscow route in Summer 2015?

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
          Is it true SriLankan is going to operate Moscow DME flight via Dubai from 10 Feb 2015 onboard A320/A332 with a flight Number UL531/2 operating on Tue and Sat on Route Colombo - Dubai - Moscow DME replacing the existing two weekly nonstop Colombo - Moscow DME flight. Lots of Russians Tourists use to fly Sri Lanka and the Maldives. It's very sad Moscow DME has become unprofitable for SriLankan perhaps they have low passenger load factor and low yield. Will SriLankan continue this Moscow route in Summer 2015?
          Russia is going through a tough economic time. Plus I guess most Russian traffic to SL would be during winter. Taking both these factors into consideration I guess the one stop A320 (A330 is sufficient load) makes more sense.

Comment

• UL 563 (4R-ALJ) CMB - CDG diverted to Teheran due to medical emergency.

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
              There is nothing free in this world... you pay one way or other

Previous government has so many excesses this is one of them.
              SriLankan Airlines is set to accrue losses amounting to approximately US$130 million for the year ending March 2014/15, says the airline’s CEO Kapila Chandrasena. The airline suffered losses amounting to US$249 million the previous year. – Ends - - See more at: http://www.sundaytimes.lk/business/s....KCMvdNDn.dpuf

Comment

• THAI S15 Colombo Operation Changes

Routes is the home of the world’s leading aviation network development conferences and events. Plus aviation news and features, and profiles of global airlines and airports.

THAI this week adjusted its Sri Lanka operation for Summer 2015 season, starting 29MAR15. Previously listed as a default schedule of 1 daily A320 service, the Star Alliance member has revised to 5 weekly Airbus A330-300 operation. Current late-Winter schedule shows 4 weekly operation.

The following schedule is effective 29MAR15.

TG307 BKK2210 – 0001+1CMB 330 x14
                TG308 CMB0120 – 0615BKK 330 x25
                Hehe I thought Thai Airways gonna abondon Colombo due to airline financial issue?

Comment

• SriLankan Airlines to start direct flights between Colombo and Melbourne from 2nd November 2015 onboard A330-300. It will be a four weekly service operating every Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, According to SriLankan Airlines Website.

UL 601: 0100hrs CMB-MEL 1630hrs
                  UL 602: 1800hrs MEL-CMB 2300hrs

Will this Melbourne route become profitable for SriLankan? I am quite surprised SriLankan decided to fly Melbourne instead of Sydney.

Comment

SriLankan Airlines to start direct flights between Colombo and Melbourne from 2nd November 2015 onboard A330-300. It will be a four weekly service operating every Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, According to SriLankan Airlines Website.

Will this Melbourne route become profitable for SriLankan? I am quite surprised SriLankan decided to fly Melbourne instead of Sydney.
                    this is a good news!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Azamh View Post
                      this is a good news!!!!
                      Melbourne makes perfect sense over Sydney. SYD is commercial hub.. but MEL has bigger SL community

Comment

SriLankan Airlines to start direct flights between Colombo and Melbourne from 2nd November 2015 onboard A330-300. It will be a four weekly service operating every Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, According to SriLankan Airlines Website.

Bit of a dumb move IMHO given the competition and yield on these routes. Maybe they might do a QF codeshare on the above flights to bring additional passengers from Australia? Anyway good luck to them.

BTW some interesting articles regarding UL this weekend:
                        Civil Aviation Director General H.M.C. Nimalasiri has rapped the country's national carrier, SriLankan Airlines, over what he calls its pilots deactivating

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/150208/col...as-134761.html (scroll down 3/4 of the page for the aviation related story)
                        Last edited by lordvader; 08-02-2015, 01:12 AM.

Comment

I would say that this is potentially good news, but then you look at the timings. A 1am departure time is pretty good, because it captures the Subcontinental traffic, but I think that the arrival time back in Colombo is useless (11pm). It doesn't give much opportunity for connections, other than already oversupplied routes which have direct flights as well, like SIN, KUL, etc. Only BLR benefits from this.

No idea who plans these routes without taking into account different factors.

Hi Banuthev! Thanks for the information. By the way, may I know the source of this news? Not saying that I don't believe you, we've just been hearing these rumours for the past 4-5 years. It thus would be awesome if you could give us a link, etc

Comment

• Originally posted by SLAA View Post
                            Hi Banuthev! Thanks for the information. By the way, may I know the source of this news? Not saying that I don't believe you, we've just been hearing these rumours for the past 4-5 years. It thus would be awesome if you could give us a link, etc
                            Melbourne flight schedule loaded on the SriLankan Airlines website. It seems to be SriLankan is going to touch down in Australia after 13 years of absence.

Another good news SriLankan to boost the flights to Shanghai from 4 to 6 weekly and Chennai from 21 to 26 weekly effective Winter 2015.

UL866: 12:30hrs CMB-PVG 21:40hrs Days 2357
                            UL866: 13:20hrs CMB-PVG 22:30hrs Days 14
                            UL867: 00:20hrs PVG-CMB 05:35hrs Days 123456

Comment

• Originally posted by SLAA View Post
                              I would say that this is potentially good news, but then you look at the timings. A 1am departure time is pretty good, because it captures the Subcontinental traffic, but I think that the arrival time back in Colombo is useless (11pm). It doesn't give much opportunity for connections, other than already oversupplied routes which have direct flights as well, like SIN, KUL, etc. Only BLR benefits from this.

No idea who plans these routes without taking into account different factors.

Arrival time to CMB is good for transit passangers for Europe. All early morning UL flights to Europe depart between 12 midnight and 3 am. But departure time from CMB is not that great for European transit passengers

MEL is home to more Srilankans than SYD, so that may be the reason for choosing MEL.

Comment

Bit of a dumb move IMHO given the competition and yield on these routes. Maybe they might do a QF codeshare on the above flights to bring additional passengers from Australia? Anyway good luck to them.

BTW some interesting articles regarding UL this weekend:
                                Civil Aviation Director General H.M.C. Nimalasiri has rapped the country's national carrier, SriLankan Airlines, over what he calls its pilots deactivating

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/150208/col...as-134761.html (scroll down 3/4 of the page for the aviation related story)
                                Are the reports about safety true?

Comment

Working...
                                X