British Airways to stop flights to Colombo

OMG why they are cancelling?
    Not even a year??
    ​Umedha Hettigoda ®

https://banners-my.flightradar24.com/umedhah.png

Comment

• Originally posted by umedhah View Post
      Not even a year??
      2yrs since they started. I flew CMB-MLE in Dec 2013, load factor was around 25%.

Comment

• Originally posted by flylanka View Post
        2yrs since they started. I flew CMB-MLE in Dec 2013, load factor was around 25%.
        yeah BA resumed cmb in Apr 2013. It's shame they are cancelling Cmb..

Comment

• Originally posted by Serendib View Post
          British Airways to stop flights to Colombo

http://colombogazette.com/2014/09/24...ghts-to-lanka/
          Hopefully BA will start LHR CMB nonstop..

Comment

• Originally posted by ak892 View Post
            It will be sad to see it gone, but to be honest it was never going to work.

A lot of the passengers from the UK are the SL diaspora and most of us live a lot closer to Heathrow. Plus a lot of the disapora from Canada/US mainly come through Heathrow to go onwards to SL. Makes more sense for a closer and quicker route to take UL (even if it UL is a bit crappy now) rather than take BA and spend an extra 2 hours. Also, taking passengers onward from Male to Colombo is already so competitive.

They should maybe try flights from Heathrow non stop to BIA. Maybe make it a seasonal flight for the winter month.
            Knew that long time ago

Originally posted by Srilankan1 View Post
            UL should react to this move. We have to increase the frequencies to London.
            Originally posted by CalgaryLankan View Post
            Ouch - that is a short life for BA in Sri Lanka, but it was launched as a leisure traveler focused service (LGW - MLE - CMB) and with UL's Oneworld alliance, this is not a that much of a surprise. Hopefully UL will gain from this loss of BA.
            UL...Rumor has it they already sold two slots in LHR...They cannot increase frequencies even if they like to.

Comment

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post
              I think delivery of 4R-ABR planned for end of september and 4R-ALL is in mid-October. 4R-ALL going to have it's interiors done in Toulouse from this month. Any update on delivery of 4R-ABR ?
              accrdng to CAA sl its shdule to ferry on 24th. we are releasing 3 pallets full of technical records of ABR from QR. ABJ ends it lease on 3rd week of octoMber FYI

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                Knew that long time ago

UL...Rumor has it they already sold two slots in LHR...They cannot increase frequencies even if they like to.
                Any possiblilities BA codesharing with UL on LHR-CMB route? If i am not mistaken UL had 12 slots at LHR but now they are using 9 slots ( 7 in the evening and 2 in the weekend morning). I think UL should buy morning slots at LHR so they can connect the passengers across to North America/Canada. Alternatively they better increase the capacity by using 4R-ADE/ADF which has the better cabin configuration among other A340s.

Comment

• Originally posted by flylanka View Post
                  Only 25% ? Is it that bad ? Is this 25% including business / economy class. Perhaps BA struggling in CMB as there fare is bit expensive compare to other airlines available now for passengers. UL/QR/9W/EY/WY doing good deals for the London-Colombo passengers. Also CMB-MLE is over-saturated route being dominated by UL and other carriers like TK/EK/MU/KE also flying this route but not sure they have the fifth freedom rights for CMB-MLE. Maldivian recently cancelled the CMB route by failing the competition.

Comment

Only 25% ? Is it that bad ? Is this 25% including business / economy class. Perhaps BA struggling in CMB as there fare is bit expensive compare to other airlines available now for passengers. UL/QR/9W/EY/WY doing good deals for the London-Colombo passengers. Also CMB-MLE over saturated route being dominated by UL and other carriers like TK/EK/MU/KE also flying this route but not sure they have the fifth freedom rights for CMB-MLE. Maldivian recently cancelled the CMB route by failing the competition.
                    I dont think the fare is the main thing. If you take CMB-MLE the prices are competitive. But all the to London it I believe is a connectivity issue. The BA flight is to LGW not LHR. LGW is predominately the hub for Caribbean Destinations, most other North and South American traffic (where to whom pax from SL would practically fly through the UK) uses LHR as hub. It is pretty competitive with QR, EK, EY offering good connections to these destinations as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Azamh View Post
                      Very bad yield each flight Carries 60-70 Pax On Economy Class Something like a private bus...
                      I think EK,EY,QR Playing a Major role Between Asia to Europe And Australia to Europe, Qantas/British Airways Now Singapore airlines Loosing lots of Business After EK A380 's Once QR,EY start to operate there A380 we Might see More Suprises in Future
                      It's sad to hear BA is leaving the CMB service due to poor yield. Any idea how is the yield/load factor of CMB flights operate by Korean Air and Turkish Airlines ?

Comment

Any possiblilities BA codesharing with UL on LHR-CMB route? If i am not mistaken UL had 12 slots at LHR but now they are using 9 slots ( 7 in the evening and 2 in the weekend morning). I think UL should buy morning slots at LHR so they can connect the passengers across to North America/Canada. Alternatively they better increase the capacity by using 4R-ADE/ADF which has the better cabin configuration among other A340s.
                        UL had 14 slots - but never utilized all 14; max 12 & A340s are on the way out

Comment

• Hello,

I take a picture of the first fly of the A320 NEO in Toulouse - France

Nice Day

Bye

Comment

• i think srilankan airlines shoul buy new aircraft from airbus

A320NEO

A321NEO

A330NEO

A380

Comment

• i think srilankan airlines shoul buy new aircraft from boeing

B748

B777X

B787
                              Last edited by kennny15; 25-09-2014, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sakith View Post
                                accrdng to CAA sl its shdule to ferry on 24th. we are releasing 3 pallets full of technical records of ABR from QR. ABJ ends it lease on 3rd week of octoMber FYI
                                SriLankan's second A321 already been re-registered as 4R-ABR. We may expect the delivery flight of 4R-ABR every day now.

Comment

Working...
                                X