No announcement yet.

General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys... can anyone help me on the quickest way to to share news/articles to the forum?? i.e. not just pasting a link... ( i need help on how to attach few images and post an article) thanks guys!!!
    ​Umedha Hettigoda ®

https://banners-my.flightradar24.com/umedhah.png

Comment

If you're from the UK and don't already know, there's a great TV programme on British Airways which you can watch on BBC Iplayer. There's 3 episodes.

If you live outside of the UK and wish to watch it, I would recommend using Google Chrome and downloading a Google Chrome app called Hola. It's a great app which allows you to watch programmes from another country (which would other wise be restricted if you are not from that country).

Comment

Srilankan President's Foreign Tours

It is good to see that new president of Srilanka Mr Maithripala Sirisena visiedt India using regular UL passenger flight instead of using a dedicated flight as done by his predecessor. He flew using UL 195 to New Delhi with a vey limited number of government delegation. This is a very good sign and saves lots of money for UL.
        Except Mr Rajapaksha all other previous heads of state used to fly for state foreign visits using regular passagenger flight.

Comment

Nissan Leaf - Electric Revolution of
          Sri Lanka

2015 Nissan Leaf review

The Nissan Leaf is the world's best-selling electric car, and this new 30kWh version has a longer 155-mile range. We've been finding out what it's like and what else is new.

In case you’ve missed it, the electric revolution is underway. We’ve already got electric super saloons such as the Tesla Model S, and even a hybrid-electric supercar in the form of the BMW i8. If you want to sign up to this revolution but can’t afford those cars' hefty price tags, the Nissan Leaf 24kWh has offered you membership to the electric vehicle (EV) club since 2010.

However, if the 24kWh version’s claimed range of 124 miles (which in the real world is nearer 70 to 80 miles) isn't enough for you, then you'll be interested to hear that the world’s most popular EV can now go 25% farther.

It's thanks to the bigger battery in this new 30kWh model, which sits alongside the existing line-up. Nissan reckons it’ll manage a maximum of 155 miles on a single charge, which in general driving will be more like 100 to 120 miles.

The bigger battery is only available from the mid-level Acenta trim upwards, so prices start from £24,490 if you include the £5000 government subsidy. For that price, you also get a warranty that covers the battery for up to eight years or 100,000 miles. Curiously, the warranty for the 24kWh version remains at five years or 60,000 miles.

The new car is 21kg heavier than the 24kWh version, but that shouldn’t make too much difference to how it feels on the road. Indeed, the performance is identical, taking 11.5sec to reach 62mph, before heading to a top speed of just less than 90mph.

Whether you chose the existing 24kWh or the 30kWH version, all Leafs from Acenta trim up benefit from an improved infotainment system called Nissanconnect EV. This includes a DAB radio, 7.0in touchscreen and sat-nav, plus a host of new features.

For instance, the system can tell you how far you are from the nearest charging point – of which there are currently an estimated 9384 spread across the UK, including 500 30-minute rapid chargers - and whether or not it’s occupied.

Using an app on your smartphone you can also check remotely on the Leaf’s charge status, or, if you’ve forgotten where you left it, locate it on a map. On frosty mornings, you can even use your phone to switch on the car’s heater, making it nice and toasty before the morning commute.

Read the definitive Nissan Leaf 2024 review from the expert What Car? team. Check specs, prices, performance and compare with similar cars.
          Last edited by Max; 31-10-2015, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Sri Lanka to be made a global mega city: PM

Sri Lanka will be developed into a global city that will go between Dubai and Singapore where international trade and movement is concerned, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said today.

Speaking at the Sri Lanka Economic Forum 2016 in Colombo, the Prime Minister said the time had come to make plans to fulfil this objective. - Source & See more at: http://www.dailymirror.lk/102205/sl-....GupQuIkk.dpuf

Comment

Disclaimer:- I'm not an Investment advisor of any kind - my opinions are based on my own observations. I encourage everyone to do their own research to verify what I say and make the decisions that are right for them.

As you've probably been reading in the papers the GOSL is frantically trying to borrow money as they are rapidly running out.

There are negotiations ongoing with the IMF - they are the "lender of last resort". IMF are bastards - any loans always come with conditions. These always hurt the poorest people in the country.

There's plenty of information online about how the IMF operates.

The last time the GOSL borrowed money from the IMF one of the conditions was the devaluation of the Rupee. About 9 or 10 years ago the Rupee devalued over the course of a weekend. The official story blamed "currency speculators".

My guess is something similar is about to happen.

How to counter this?

Obviously you don't want to be holding Rupees.

Converting to Foreign currencies is an option (beware of the different rates between buying and selling). When I lived in Sri Lanka I had minimal Rupees in my account - I kept everything in Dollars and Euros. I know the rules are different for Sri Lankan nationals.

The other option is "hard" assets. These include Gold/Silver/Land/Property.

Land/Property are normally long-term investments and tie up money for a long time.

I'm not familiar with the Gold/Silver market in Sri Lanka but this is something that people could look into. The benefit of this market is that it is relatively easy to buy and sell Gold/Silver which makes it a good way to store wealth both short and long term. Normally you pay "spot price" plus a premium. The same sometimes goes for selling.

I personally own Gold and Silver (actual coins - not a piece of paper).

The idea is to convert Rupees before the devaluation and then convert back after this takes place. Depending on the premiums involved this may or may not be a good option.

Example:- You pay "Spot Price" + 5% for Silver. The Rupee devalues 10%. You make 5% on your investment.

There is plenty of information available on the Internet and I encourage people to do their own research.

You may not be able to stop your Politicians but you can protect your savings.

Hope this information is useful.
              Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

I would like to know your views about Sri Lanka leasing Hambantota Port to China for 99 years.

Comment

Originally posted by banuthev View Post
                  I would like to know your views about Sri Lanka leasing Hambantota Port to China for 99 years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7h-xQpUlPTY

I think it's a good idea also about the industrial zone.
                  Srilanka can't build any factory or production anytime soon.
                  If this china factories comes ,at least our guys will have jobs and can get experience,eventually it's a benefit for our country ,nowadays most of the srilanka s are 3wheel drivers others are labourers in Middle East which they don't get any life experience . The cycle is eg normally they study up to o/l due to family difficulties they go to Middle East work like horse 5-6 then coming back and drive 3 wheel then go behind politics ,this is the srilankan cycle ,for example as I know about China most of them work in factories part time they study, learn what happens in factory they try to open up a small work shop what big factory needs , for example a garment factory staff eventually open a work shop where he can print labels and sell it to the garment factory where he worked.

We need to change srilanka life cycle , currently only one bread winner all others just stay at home talking nonsense,
                  If we have factories even students can work part time ,then will not have poverty nowadays everyone depend on one person in family this kind of things will change, we can't wait till srilanka open there own factories now we need to go with the trend...

Comment

Originally posted by Azamh View Post
                    I think it's a good idea also about the industrial zone.
                    Srilanka can't build any factory or production anytime soon.
                    If this china factories comes ,at least our guys will have jobs and can get experience,eventually it's a benefit for our country ,nowadays most of the srilanka s are 3wheel drivers others are labourers in Middle East which they don't get any life experience . The cycle is eg normally they study up to o/l due to family difficulties they go to Middle East work like horse 5-6 then coming back and drive 3 wheel then go behind politics ,this is the srilankan cycle ,for example as I know about China most of them work in factories part time they study, learn what happens in factory they try to open up a small work shop what big factory needs , for example a garment factory staff eventually open a work shop where he can print labels and sell it to the garment factory where he worked.

We need to change srilanka life cycle , currently only one bread winner all others just stay at home talking nonsense,
                    If we have factories even students can work part time ,then will not have poverty nowadays everyone depend on one person in family this kind of things will change, we can't wait till srilanka open there own factories now we need to go with the trend...
                    Spot on!!

Comment

Railway Discussion Thread

Good news for Train Lovers !!

This is a discussion thread for discussing about emerging Railway Industry in Sri Lanka. You can also discuss about international Railways on this thread. Please do share the pictures , news, updates and videos on this thread.

I am a great fan of Sri Lanka Train locomotives. I had a great chance to be in my favourite loco M4 -,several years ago.

I will be sharing the train pictures and videos from Europe.

Thanks for contributing on this thread.

I found this nice picture from google. Credits to original owner. Does any one know the location where does the picture must have taken in Sri Lanka?

Comment

Hi Haleef,

I am a fan of Railway Industry and its good to hear Matara - Kataragama railway extension project have been 85% completed : http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2017/06...ars-completion

Since I am out of touch on Sri Lanka railways in the recent years , I am curious to know more about latest update on Sri Lanka Railway industry. Please tell me the list of Railway Lines have the new tracks in Sri Lanka.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Haleef,

I am a fan of Railway Industry and its good to hear Matara - Kataragama railway extension project have been 85% completed : http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2017/06...ars-completion

Since I am out of touch on Sri Lanka railways in the recent years , I am curious to know more about latest update on Sri Lanka Railway industry. Please tell me the list of Railway Lines have the new tracks in Sri Lanka.

Cheers
                          Hi,

I'm not very sure on any updates on the Matara - Hambantota line yet, but I think it is still undergoing construction slowly.
                          Haleef Ismail
                          www.youtube.com/haleef1 | www.instagram.com/cmb_spotter

Comment

Originally posted by Haleef View Post
                            Hi,

I'm not very sure on any updates on the Matara - Hambantota line yet, but I think it is still undergoing construction slowly.
                            Does other lines like Colombo-Jaffna, Colombo-Matara, Colombo-Kandy etc have the new railway tracks? because the old tracks are not suitable for high speed trains for atleast 100 kmph.

According to Railway Gazette, SL is going to receive DLW locos and ICF DMU from India next year. Hope SL will select the good locos with better hose power.

India’s RITES consultancy business recorded 18% year-on-year increase in income in 2016-17, with a profit of Rs3·3bn on a turnover of Rs15bn. Highlights included the supply of 120 coaches to Bangladesh Railways, and two contracts to supply DLW locomotives and ICF DMUs to Sri Lanka Railways in the coming year.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/b...und-up-38.html

Comment

Is M9 (866) back on service ? i saw picture somewhere with a new paint. How many M9s are on service in Sri Lanka?

Comment

According to Railway Gazette, SL is going to receive DLW locos and ICF DMU from India next year. Hope SL will select the good locos with better hose power.
                                Well, there are many rumours about these newcomers. Another most talked rumour is SLR is going to have GE locos (most probably made in India - according to Railway Gazette GE is going to have a plant in India) similar to GE CM20-EMP in Indonesian Railway with 7FDL engine. Then there's a rumour that SLR is going to have another batch of DMU sets similar to Class S12 from China. Then this pure Indian locos, coaches and DMUs you stated. Rumours say there are some leftovers of Indian credit line for SLR.

Only thing we can do is hope for the best, which is usually not happening.

From the past experience, Chinese DMUs (Class S12) are performing nicely. They are the most efficient and well performing work-horse by now.

These GE locos are going to be high tech locos like Class M9, if they are coming at all. These high tech locos like Class M9 were not handled the way they should be in the SLR. That was the cause for the fate of Class M9. But gradually they are becoming familiar with computer controlled locomotives it seems. Let's see how do they deal with the latest renovations on the Class M9 locomotives.

Finally Indian locomotives, coaches and DMUs. Well, they do their job. Class M8 is the most powerful locomotive the SLR has. But there are serious concerns about their efficiency, durability and quality. With heavy diplomatic pressure from India they still run. Coaches are the same. They are not comfortable as decades old Romanian coaches even now. Same concerns are there for DMUs as for Indian locomotives. Class S11 is performing quite better than M8 and M10 in efficiency. It's much comfortable for passengers too. But again there are many issues in safety, durability and quality.
                                Last edited by nipuna787; 22-06-2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X