Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
    LTU merged with Air Berlin in 2009
    That's right. Air Berlin is part of ONEWORLD hopefully they may consider fly directly to Sri Lanka..

Originally posted by channa View Post
    Even KLM which used to fly to Srilanka some time ago did not start operations yet. They operated a flight from AMS to CMB via DMM and also to Sydney via Colombo. Even now there is no direct flights to Amsterdam from Colombo
    After a suspension of KLM flights to Colombo, KLM's subsidery Martin Air launched Colombo with a seasonal services. Unfortunately it didn't last long as Martin Air switch focus on only Cargo operations from 2007.

There are so many European Airlines flew to Colombo on those days i.e. British Airways, KLM, AOM Frenchie, Condor Flug, LTU, Aeroflot, CSA Czech, Finnair, Austrian Airlines, Balkan Bulgarian Airlines, Air Europe, Cyprus Airways etc .. Anybody wish to add the airlines which I missed to mention here.

Comment

Originally posted by Banuthev View Post
      That's right. Air Berlin is part of ONEWORLD hopefully they may consider fly directly to Sri Lanka..

After a suspension of KLM flights to Colombo, KLM's subsidery Martin Air launched Colombo with a seasonal services. Unfortunately it didn't last long as Martin Air switch focus on only Cargo operations from 2007.

There are so many European Airlines flew to Colombo on those days i.e. British Airways, KLM, AOM Frenchie, Condor Flug, LTU, Aeroflot, CSA Czech, Finnair, Austrian Airlines, Balkan Bulgarian Airlines, Air Europe, Cyprus Airways etc .. Anybody wish to add the airlines which I missed to mention here.
      How can you forget UTA and Air France

plus Martinair

Comment

I know this isn't a European carrier, but Trans World Airlines (which went out of business in early 2000s), used to serve Colombo with a Constellation back in the day. It used to come via Europe, the Middle East and Bombay. As far as I know, that is the only American carrier that ever operated to Sri Lanka. Various charter airlines have come in and out. ArkeFly more recently flew from AMS-CMB via Goa Dabolim, and JetAirFly had a flight from Brussels as recent as 2010. Ukraine International Airlines had a short tenure serving CMB, I believe coming using a 737-300 via DXB.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
          How can you forget UTA and Air France

plus Martinair
          Balkan & Air France never flew to Colombo

Comment

Air France and Balkan Bulgarian airlines already operated Colombo service in late 90s and early 2000s.And there was a another one weekly flight,I'm not remember what is that air line or flight type. But it flew Brussels-Colombo -Male -Brussels untill 24-07-2001 As CT615 .Anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Serendib View Post
              Balkan & Air France never flew to Colombo
              ...You are dead wrong
              AF took over UTA and Air Inter in the early 90's operated schedule 744 to Colombo
              Balkan used to fly Tu154s to CMB and onwards to SIN

East German Interflug flew to CMB from Berlin in the late 80's

Does anyone know about the Swissair schedule to CMB
              Last edited by Speedbird; 17-07-2013, 02:25 AM.

Comment

...You are dead wrong
                AF took over UTA and Air Inter in the early 90's operated schedule 744 to Colombo

East German Interflug flew to the CMB from Berlin in the late 80's

Does anyone know about the Swissair schedule to CMB
                I flew on the Balkan Airlines in 1990s when dad took me to Europe for Occasion Visit. That LZ flight operated on route SOF-AUH-CMB onboard TU 154. I still remember the flight we took couldn't land in Sofia Airport due to Heavy snow so they divert the flight to nearest airport.

According to Airlineroute, Swissair operated on Zurich – Geneva – Karachi – Bombay – Colombo – Singapore – Colombo – Bombay – Zurich – Geneva with once a weekly DC8, in 1972. Does anybody know how to access the old flight schedules?

Comment

Originally posted by Skyler View Post
                  Air France and Balkan Bulgarian airlines already operated Colombo service in late 90s and early 2000s.And there was a another one weekly flight,I'm not remember what is that air line or flight type. But it flew Brussels-Colombo -Male -Brussels untill 24-07-2001 As CT615 .Anyone know?
                  Currently showing CT is IATA code for Alitalia Cityliner. Notsure who used this IATA code before.

On a different note, Looks like nowadays european tourists prefer the Maldives over Sri Lanka. Most of the European Airlines are flying to Male'.

Comment

yes they did, they started in President Chandrikas time . their office was just next to pizza hut at union place

Comment

On a different note, Looks like nowadays european tourists prefer the Maldives over Sri Lanka. Most of the European Airlines are flying to Male'.
                      Even the ones that come to Sri Lanka are the budget tourists that travel on a shoe string.

SL needs to raise its profile to attract high spenders.

Comment

Originally posted by 88gee View Post
                        yes they did, they started in President Chandrikas time . their office was just next to pizza hut at union place
                        Balkan flew into CMB, DURING 1982-83.

Comment

Originally posted by SKYBUCK729 View Post
                          Balkan flew into CMB, DURING 1982-83.
                          well i remember after tht , coz i even saw the arrival shown in tv news , tht was in 90s

Comment

Golden old days of Colombo airport !! click on the picture to view in original size !!

Comment

Lockheed L1011 First Flight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j8-0BYtFTA
                              DC-10 First Flight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2UnykgWYPE

Comment

some nostalgia.......the good old days of Air Lanka.........

Comment

Working...
                                X