This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flemingo opens new duty free store in CMB

Flemingo Duty Free has opened its new departure store at the Bandaranaike International Airport, Sri Lanka, announced CEO, Flemingo Duty Free, Sri Lanka, P.K. Thimmayya at a press conference held in this connection.  ..

Comment

• GMR Group, a key player in the international infrastructure sphere, expressed optimism of participating in a global bidding process to develop Sri Lanka’s Mattala International Airport, but the proposition should be "feasible in doing business", says S. G. K. Kishore, Chief Executive Officer, GMR Hyderabad International Airport Limited.
      Last edited by Serendib; 08-10-2017, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serendib View Post
        http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_...e_title=172944

GMR Group, a key player in the international infrastructure sphere, expressed optimism of participating in a global bidding process to develop Sri Lanka’s Mattala International Airport, but the proposition should be "feasible in doing business", says S. G. K. Kishore, Chief Executive Officer, GMR Hyderabad International Airport Limited.
        Well - that's going nowhere then!

There is no business case for Mattala - never was and never will be.

The only option is to close this down - the quicker the better imho.
        Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• An Indian company has emerged with a bold plan for taking over Sri Lanka’s struggling Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport (MRIA). The proposal would see India pumping $205 million into the airport for a 70% share for 40 years. While Sri Lanka has received a total of eight proposals from various other parties including China to take over the airport, the Indian plan is reportedly being reviewed separately.

Indian firm to pump to 205mn to MRIA

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post

The only flicker of light I see is that GMR will request that UL cannot have a monopoly on ground handling and CPC does not have sole monopoly on Jet A1.

Which in turn will result in GMR directly competing against CMB on cost. That is the only viable business case.

Comment

Whilst I agree there is no business case, there are also strategic considerations in regards to this. I wouldn't be surprised if China offers a counter bid to keep India away from Hambantota. The government is best playing them against each other and selling the airport to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordvader View Post
                Whilst I agree there is no business case, there are also strategic considerations in regards to this. I wouldn't be surprised if China offers a counter bid to keep India away from Hambantota. The government is best playing them against each other and selling the airport to the highest bidder.
                India is reported to have offered to set up a joint venture with Sri Lanka to manage and expand facilities at the loss-making Mattala airport, built at a cost

Comment

Chinese and Indians only care about their own self interests - you don't want them owning parts of your country imho.

You'll be paying a high price for one man's Hubris.
                  Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Brazilian Aircraft manufacturer Embraer eyes Sri Lanka

Embraer one of the world’s largest aircraft manufacturers, based in Brazil is looking out for investment opportunities in Sri Lanka.

The newly-appointed Vice President of Embraer Commercial Aviation for Asia Pacific, Cesar Pereira and Regional Sales Director Asia Pacific Fernando Mainardi was in Sri Lanka and met several government and private sector officials yesterday.

Cesar Pereira speaking to Daily News at the Brazilian Embassy in Colombo yesterday said that they are in to the manufacture of narrow bodied aircraft which is most suited for the fleet of SriLankan Airlines.

“We feel that the way forward for SriLankan is to be a regional hub and attract transit traffic from the region and then feed them to long haul destinations with their larger aircraft. We feel as and when this model is put in to place passenger volumes to Sri Lanka could increase by over 66%. He also said that the present Colombo international airport is adequate to handle additional passengers.

I also feel that this operation should be also done similar to Singapore and Dubai with free stay-over, Free city tours and more additional duty free airport shops to make Colombo more attractive.”

He also said that they may also consider a MRO (airline repair and maintenance center) in Mattala if a proper business proposal is put on the table for them.

“We are also open for any other offer provided it would be of mutual benefit for all stakeholders.”

He said the company with over 48 year history is also in to agriculture aircraft and these aircraft could be used in Sri Lanka mainly to spray chemicals from air on agricultural fields.

In the commercial aviation area, we are the third largest aircraft manufacturer (after Airbus and Boeing) and our E-Jets family of single aisle jet aircraft are operated by 65 airlines in 45 countries globally. We are in the commercial aviation, executive aviation and defense areas,” he added.

Embraer one of the world’s largest aircraft manufacturers, based in Brazil is looking out for investment opportunities in Sri Lanka. The newly-appointed Vice President of Embraer Commercial Aviation for Asia Pacific, Cesar Pereira and Regional Sales Director Asia Pacific Fernando Mainardi was in Sri Lanka and met several government and private sector officials yesterday.

Government needs to offer Embraer to “operate, manage, maintain and develop” the Mattala airport and hold 80% equity for 99 years, presence of Embraer in Sri Lanka will be a turning point to the aviation industry.

Comment

Chinese and Indians only care about their own self interests - you don't want them owning parts of your country imho.

You'll be paying a high price for one man's Hubris.
                      The island nation spent $240m on an airport on its southern coast - so why is hardly anyone using it?

Comment

I won't be so negative.

The 12,000 feet runway is a great asset for anybody who wants to move MRO to Mattala.

If, and if, the Authorities allow the related services to move in as well.

Take Singapore, Paya Lebar, until recently it was a MRO / repair station, so as to not impact ops at Changi.

Comment

• Originally posted by ecureilx View Post
                          I won't be so negative.

The 12,000 feet runway is a great asset for anybody who wants to move MRO to Mattala.

If, and if, the Authorities allow the related services to move in as well.

Take Singapore, Paya Lebar, until recently it was a MRO / repair station, so as to not impact ops at Changi.
                          The problem is that there is no longer such a thing as Legitimate Business in Sri Lanka. I think we all know how 'Business' is done in Sri Lanka.

Why do you think Lufthansa dropped plans for an MRO in Sri Lanka?

Global companies/brands are very sensitive about their image - that's why they don't do 'Business' in Sri Lanka.

Comment

• Comment

Global companies/brands are very sensitive about their image - that's why they don't do 'Business' in Sri Lanka.
                              I may disagree

Large companies work on ROI. But when ROI is bad, like when local mafia wants share of profit, they quit.

Not much on image I may say ...

I am sure if Lufthansa did really consider MRO and pulled out, you can see the answer in the first two letters of MRO ! Who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by ecureilx View Post
                                I may disagree

Large companies work on ROI. But when ROI is bad, like when local mafia wants share of profit, they quit.

Not much on image I may say ...

I am sure if Lufthansa did really consider MRO and pulled out, you can see the answer in the first two letters of MRO ! Who knows.
                                This is the way 'Business' gets done in Sri Lanka but that's not generally the case globally.

There are plenty of companies who will not pay bribes or give kickbacks and will not do Business in certain countries (Sri Lanka). Don't fool yourself - there is a reason you don't see a lot of multinationals in Sri Lanka.

I doubt you will ever see Embraer in Sri Lanka for this very reason - watch as they take their Business elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X