This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kflyer View Post
    .... too little can sometimes be a dangerous thing.
    Yes that's true...when Sajin Vass Gunawardena was appointed CEO of Mihin; I wondered which business school did he attend... When he left we all know what was end result was right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
      Yes that's true...when Sajin Vass Gunawardena was appointed CEO of Mihin; I wondered which business school did he attend... When he left we all know what was end result was right?
      How about former UL CEO Manoj Vaas Gunawardane?

And the current CEO Chandrasena?

Do they had/have any experience about Airline Management?

Comment

• Originally posted by Praetorian View Post
        Will ALJ be able to do the East Asia routes?
        ALJ can operate far east but About Narita.. I dont think so

Comment

You have raised some valid points no doubt.

But our gripe is the management of UL.

When the boss Nishantha is living a life of extravagant luxury eating the airline’s profits, it’s a problem.

- nishantha always has had money and so does his family.theres a lot of family money there in any case. If you are dwelling on his watch scandal....they can definitely afford it...corruption or not

When the president wants to take some jaunt somewhere he steals a plane.

- that I pointed out before and I find wrong

When Government honcho’s want to fly, not only do they steal planes, they do not even pay.

- again prove it....if your going by my source said this and my uncle said that like the media in Sri Lanka...then that doesn't really say anything.

ULs Management’s and Government’s “favourites” (i.e. best sycophants and relations) get promoted over those who have brains and skill and actually care for the airline. These clowns then make idiot decisions purely designed for their own enjoyment.

- again that's a common gripe in UL. Its more an excuse....I'm sure there are some appointments influenced by management like any other airline...everyone's favorite airline never allows anyone but an emirati to run the top positions....in EMIRATES. It doesnt matter if you've worked for so many years....you'll always have an Emirati to answer too regardless of his qualifications.....I dont condone it but it happens....even Singapore airlines controlling body is directly related to government....some government just do it that way...

Inflight service by the Cabin crew is atrocious. I hate most the “white first” mentality, its disgusting how the cabin crew do not give a damn for us, but will wade hand and foot for a “white god” on board.

- typical Sri Lankan mentality crushed by white imperialists...blah blah....I've seen it...I know people on it.l.l.crew is nice if your nice...you should here some of the awesome passenger stories....maybe we should start a blog for that....it could be improved though although everyone's expectations are different....I guess I'm just used to flying on carriers like BA, KLM and some of the US airlines.....the food is disgusting....there is hardly a cabin crew worthy of a national airine.....and I could go on and on.....I don't fly business unfortunately.....so I see everything

I flew in the 90s with Air Lanka –there was no personal inflight entertainment, but the crew were amazing and the food the best in the world. Not the case anymore. The Cabin crew seem always lost and not that bothered, unless you’re white of course.

- I repeat....the above....I have plenty of friends in Cabin Crew.....it's how they are perceived....if your nice to them....they are so nice to you...regardless of whether you know them or not,...

Can you also explain to me what business sense there is in the State running TWO airlines? Why is Mihin being kept afloat? Does it make sense for passengers who pay for the cheaper Mihin tickets to be “upgraded” to the more expensive UL. Does it make sense that the boss and CEO of Mihin and UL are the same? What is going on with regards to Mihin Lanka? It SERVES NO PURPOSE other than being a burden. There is no commercial sense or business model behind it. It is just there because the Preso’s name is on it.

Mihin Lanka....was a burden....but now it's gearing up to an area that it is starting to make profits.,,it's more of a low cost premium carrier.....if Mihin pays back everything it's borrowed....then write-it-offf.....Id rather get back the money back....and not just dismiss it especially when money is starting to being made.....it allows Sri Lankan to offload routes where it's not competitive in and put an airlines with a smaller cost base....case in point Bahrain

This protection racket to “preserve the national carrier” would be “ok” if UL was THE BEST and the service was perfect that people will be trampling over others to get on board. In fact if that was the case, UL would not need an idiot monopoly to be “protected”.

Yah but honestly.....I still see all these airlines that are queuing up to be the next Unofficial Sri Lankan carrier...lot of rhetoric....but no substance.....let an airline go on an all out onslaught....most of the powerful ones can pressure through the international media.. ... And again if it's a case in point where my uncle said this and that....well good luck with that....

So long as this idiot short sighted “trick” is done to “preserve the national carrier” Colombo will never grow and become a hub. You talk about thinking long term, but every decision made by UL and SL governments past and present is SHORT TERM and stupid. You want Colombo as a hub but also want to “preserve the national carrier”. The latter prevents the former.

You'd think so right..l.but as I said before none of this huge legacy carriers would make the trip from Europe...when BKK, KL and SIN are a couple of hours away.....we don't meet their price market.....the tourists won't pay it....neither will he average Sri Lankan,,,,

Those of us "on the attack", are not doing this because we enjoy it or becaise we want UL to fail. We want UL to BE THE BEST. When we see the ugly, stupid decisions made by the management and Government interference we will say something. The service is BAD when compared to other airlines in the same class as UL and so many people are avoiding UL because of this.
          That is again perception....Alot more has been done to the service aspect in the last 2 years than since 1999....we improved....went into a stalemate.....went backwards....and now we are coming back.....not there yet...but with the new planes and IfE things will turnaround...

Comment

• Hey guys,
            I'm new to this forum and am not entirely sure how this works. But I am looking for some flight/route data on past SriLankan Airlines flights, to be more specific CMB-SYD route which Sri Lankan operated in 2000/01. I'm doing my thesis on an ASD program and am finding hard to secure some primary information. Do you know anyone who i can get in touch with, or any online resources that you may come across. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by slaviator View Post
              everyone's favorite airline never allows anyone but an emirati to run the top positions....in EMIRATES. It doesnt matter if you've worked for so many years....you'll always have an Emirati to answer too regardless of his qualifications.....
              Well obviously, it’s not the ethnicity of the person holding such senior positions/positions of importance that i am complaining about at UL, it is THEIR COMPETANCE and KNOWLEDGE. Have they really earned that place, are they good at it? In SL that’s not the case now then is it?

Usually some relative or buddy of the Government honcho’s are appointed to such imported positions, where usually they make a mess of things out of their cheer inability.

You only need to compare the success (and customer satisfaction) of Emirates against UL to see who is doing a better job when appointing people to positions of importance.

- typical Sri Lankan mentality crushed by white imperialists...blah blah....I've seen it...I know people on it.l.l.crew is nice if your nice...you should here some of the awesome passenger stories....maybe we should start a blog for that....it could be improved though although everyone's expectations are different....I guess I'm just used to flying on carriers like BA, KLM and some of the US airlines.....the food is disgusting....there is hardly a cabin crew worthy of a national airine.....and I could go on and on.....I don't fly business unfortunately.....so I see everything

Can you read properly?

It’s sad that in SL there is still a white worshipping mentality.

I have seen it perfectly in UL where if you’re white the cabin crew goes all out for you, they (like a lot of people in SL) are in awe of the sight of their gods and love to worship. If you happen to be non-white, well wait your turn because it’s suddha first. I’ve witnessed this myself, and it’s insult for those of us who fly UL out a sense of pride/duty to SL to be made to feel second class. (FYI: This does not happen on "everyone's favourite airline" or Qatar or Oman)

This is not entirely ULs fault though, it’s the mentality present in Sri Lanka that no one seems interested in breaking and is sadly enforced by the education system.

So yeah, Sri Lanka is a country still crushed by a slave mentality.

I repeat....the above....I have plenty of friends in Cabin Crew.....it's how they are perceived....if your nice to them....they are so nice to you...regardless of whether you know them or not,...
              Well duh.
              Seriously what are you on about here?

Where did I say anything about hurling abuse and expecting the crew to take it? My gripe is when the crew goes gagga seeing some white skinned person and pays more attention and care for them while not being that bothered about others, who are just as polite and friendly –if not more so/ There was an old Lankan gentleman who was not given water (when he politely requested such from a crew member as he needed to take some medication) for an hour because the crew were more interested in pummelling booze for some suddhas.

This is why I compared it to Air Lanka in the 90s, when the cabin crew were amazing. These days they tend to be lost and unprofessional at times. While the way cabin crew service can be hit or miss when compared to SLs competitors ULs is at the bottom. Standards have dropped, guess training is not as good as it used to be.

That is again perception....Alot more has been done to the service aspect in the last 2 years than since 1999....we improved....went into a stalemate.....went backwards....and now we are coming back.....not there yet...but with the new planes and IfE things will turnaround...
              Well i hope so to.
              Last edited by Praetorian; 07-08-2012, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by adhilh View Post
                Hey guys,
                I'm new to this forum and am not entirely sure how this works. But I am looking for some flight/route data on past SriLankan Airlines flights, to be more specific CMB-SYD route which Sri Lankan operated in 2000/01. I'm doing my thesis on an ASD program and am finding hard to secure some primary information. Do you know anyone who i can get in touch with, or any online resources that you may come across. Thanks
                Do not remember all the details, but I remember arriving in SYD very late in the evening (close to midnight) and breezing to the hotel. Working backwards, the flight must have left CMB around 8AM.

I have never flown the return leg on the same flight, but the conventional wisdom says the flight must have left SYD the following morning once the curfew was lifted. If it was to leave before the curfew, it would have been a very brisk turn around, which I am not sure SYD would have been capable of.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Well obviously, it’s not the ethnicity of the person holding such senior positions/positions of importance that i am complaining about at UL, it is THEIR COMPETANCE and KNOWLEDGE. Have they really earned that place, are they good at it? In SL that’s not the case now then is it?

Usually some relative or buddy of the Government honcho’s are appointed to such imported positions, where usually they make a mess of things out of their cheer inability.

You only need to compare the success (and customer satisfaction) of Emirates against UL to see who is doing a better job when appointing people to positions of importance.

- well with regard to that all I'm saying is people of influence always run a lot of national airlines....Emirates I picked because it's a prime example...it's not about ethnicity...it's about picking people just for the sake of picking people....emirates is successful because their CEO is dynamic and they have alot of financial leverage (as mentioned earlier) and has a sound management teAm...I can't argue with that but even the CEO didnt have any aviation experience..he's a member of the royal family....he is smart though and that's useful....The best managers don't have to go to BUSINESS SCHOOl....they have to have a Vision....and like it or not the current team seem to have a lot going for them.....My opinion though....I'm just looking at things analytically....

Can you read properly?

-
                  Praetorian Ill just reply to this by saying I can, read, analyze and comprehend very well....I work in the very industry that we are talking about and I have no political affiliations or whims and fancies....I go by whAt I see and analyze....You may judge me to be wrong but that's your opinion...if you can give an opinion learn to understand an opinion and then question

It’s sad that in SL there is still a white worshipping mentality.

I have seen it perfectly in UL where if you’re white the cabin crew goes all out for you, they (like a lot of people in SL) are in awe of the sight of their gods and love to worship. If you happen to be non-white, well wait your turn because it’s suddha first. I’ve witnessed this myself, and it’s insult for those of us who fly UL out a sense of pride/duty to SL to be made to feel second class. (FYI: This does not happen on "everyone's favourite airline" or Qatar or Oman)

This is not entirely ULs fault though, it’s the mentality present in Sri Lanka that no one seems interested in breaking and is sadly enforced by the education system.

So yeah, Sri Lanka is a country still crushed by a slave mentality.

Well duh.
                  Seriously what are you on about here?

Where did I say anything about hurling abuse and expecting the crew to take it? My gripe is when the crew goes gagga seeing some white skinned person and pays more attention and care for them while not being that bothered about others, who are just as polite and friendly –if not more so/ There was an old Lankan gentleman who was not given water (when he politely requested such from a crew member as he needed to take some medication) for an hour because the crew were more interested in pummelling booze for some suddhas.

This is why I compared it to Air Lanka in the 90s, when the cabin crew were amazing. These days they tend to be lost and unprofessional at times. While the way cabin crew service can be hit or miss when compared to SLs competitors ULs is at the bottom. Standards have dropped, guess training is not as good as it used to be.

Look that may have been the case in your instance but that's changing as far as I know.....there's a long way to go so that has to come from Cabin Crew....the ones I spoke to have been talking about change in service standards but that might still not be enough...I can't agree or disagree completely on this ...I know alots been said on Skytrax but then again it's a personal opinion.....I've seen glowing tributes for some US airlines but again it's a bit skewed....some people don't know any better.....My analysis is on the whole product and the cabin crews take is that....some of up our worthy citizens are very rude....touch Inappropriately....Etc etc.....it's unfortunate about the gentleman agreed

Well i hope so to.
                  This will go on an endless cycle....I value your opinions....but sometimes it pays to listen and do your research....not just catch onto what everything that tom, dick and Harry says and just harp on an area continuously....there is never any progress that way...it's always a case of oh back then...at least you seem to comprehend reason so that's probably why I even bother replying to a few people and not every Tom, dick and Harry who has something to say...so I'll leave this discussion here....what you take from it is solely upto you...

you seem to at least want to see Sri Lankan succeed....so read into it...piece together what's happening much more comprehensively....nothing changes overnght....and there's a lot of change that has to happen... literally changing an airline with limited finances which was stuck in the early 2000 is not an easy feet....war, bombings....as I said its a blessing it's still ferrying someone up there....

Comment

• Originally posted by Kflyer View Post
                    Of course, I am in no position to answer that last question as that is not a decision you or I can make. But if possible, I would like you to analyze the most recent financial reports of both airlines. You may then realise that on an operational level MJ is now making a better return than UL. If used in the right way, MJ's business model is the perfect one that fits SL as the majority in SL cannot afford a full service air ticket. And the advantage of having a common management is that you can then use MJ as a tool for UL to fight the LCCs expanding rapidly into CMB. Again this all depends on the execution, but it is a sound model in theory.
                    Well said! Analytically your spot on....a lot of well established airlines are doing the LCC model these days....some stay alive By them soo....Mihin started wrong...but the synergy is actually working....it's making money and in turn Sri Lankan is making money because the areas that Mihin competes on Sri Lankan would be too expensive to get on board for....

Comment

• Originally posted by adhilh View Post
                      Hey guys,
                      Hi Adhilh, Welcome to your Air Sri Lanka Forum. I believe you are looking for a Flight Schedule data of SriLankan Airlines Flights operated in 2000/01. Eventually I found these information from the Flight Timetable booklets I collected in the past.

CMB - SYD - 05:00 - 20:30 - UL678 - A340 - JYBHK - Days of Ops : Mo.We.Sa.
                      SYD - CMB - 21:50 - 04:00 - UL679 - A340 - JYBHK - Days of Ops : Mo.We.Sa + 1 CMB ARR

If you want other UL flight timings or any other information please do ask

Originally posted by Praetorian View Post
                      Those flat beds look very inticing and will attract a lot of customers. How many can a A340 hold?
                      Fully refurbished 4R-ADF has now got the Cabin configuration as 24C/275Y.

Comment

• Originally posted by slaviator View Post
                        Well said! Analytically your spot on....a lot of well established airlines are doing the LCC model these days....some stay alive By them soo....Mihin started wrong...but the synergy is actually working....it's making money and in turn Sri Lankan is making money because the areas that Mihin competes on Sri Lankan would be too expensive to get on board for....
                        Well for Mihin to be effective it needs more than 2 aircraft. And wouldnt A320s rather than A321s be the way to go for an LCC?

In regards to UL's turnaround, there are some good signs. But they need to be consistent. Like all Y class widebody seats should have the new IFE (not just in ALJ). Hopefully this will be done in due time. And they shouldve leased some A333s to replace the older A343s. Now these aircraft will be flying around with an inferior product. Also why does UL's A320 fleet have both IAE and CFM engines? (thus increasing costs). Its these small things that need looking at.

Comment

• Originally posted by Banuthev View Post
                          Hi Adhilh, Welcome to your Air Sri Lanka Forum. I believe you are looking for a Flight Schedule data of SriLankan Airlines Flights operated in 2000/01. Eventually I found these information from the Flight Timetable booklets I collected in the past.

CMB - SYD - 05:00 - 20:30 - UL678 - A340 - JYBHK - Days of Ops : Mo.We.Sa.
                          SYD - CMB - 21:50 - 04:00 - UL679 - A340 - JYBHK - Days of Ops : Mo.We.Sa + 1 CMB ARR
                          Banu,
                          Thanks for this, even though this makes me wonder how I always had such a smooth ride to Elizabeth Street from the SYD airport. I can assure you it was around mid-night at least a couple of times.

Perhaps the flight got delayed!

Comment

• @slaviator,

Since you appear to spread misinformation with authority, I am compelled to make this post. I am surprised that you do not know the following given your involvement in the industry!

1. Sheikh Ahmed (who is the uncle of Dubai's ruler) does not run EK's daily operations. He has very many other political and economical responsibilities (such as being the Chairman of Emirates NBD banking group ) as well as being a member of the Dubai Executive Council.
                            2. EK's hands on manager is Tim Clark who is an airline veteran with Gulf Air since mid seventies.
                            3. The other figure responsible for EK's success is Maurice Flanagan who has been in aviation since 1950s.

As you may know, running an airline is very different to running any other type of business, hence industry experience is a must. EK works because the shared experience amongst the three key figures above exceed 100 years.

If you are telling me that experience or professional / academic training is not required to run an airline effectively, I have a serious difficulty believing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by skyline View Post
                              Sri Lanka’s John Keells, Phoenix Ventures floats local air taxi service

August 02, 2012 (LBO) – Sri Lanka’s John Keells Holding PLC has joined with Phoenix Ventures Limited to start a 6.8 million dollar domestic air taxi service, a statement said.

Saffron Aviation (Pvt) Ltd, will be a 8.4 million dollar project becoming the second such air taxi operator after national carrier SriLankan Airlines.

The start-up fleet will consist of two Cessna 208 Caravan Amphibian aircraft (seating nine passengers each) and one wheeled Cessna 208B Grand Caravan aircraft (seating 12 passengers) that would provide the flexibility for the airline to operate from any of the domestic and international airportsas well as from waterdromes in Sri Lanka, a statement said Thursday.

The domestic air taxi service, flying under the brand name ‘Cinnamon Air’ will fill a critical void in the current tourism offering in Sri Lanka by providing a unique service of scheduled daily flights linking the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) with key holiday locations on the South West coast, the East Coast (in the summer season), Kandy, the Cultural Triangle and Hambantota/Yala. Flights to and from the BIA will largely connect with arrival and departure flight timings of the National Carrier and all major international airlines serving Colombo.

Commercial operations of Cinnamon Air are expected to commence in the last quarter of FY 2012.

I think there is lot of potential for reviving the old defunct British era aerodromes in SriLanka, the GOSL should invest money in making basic renovation and starting domestic services using turboprops like ATR42s/72s.

Comment

• @cayman

Cayman first of all what you interpret as misinformation is visibly available.....what you want to believe and don't is upto you..that is a personal choice but you don't have a right to accuse me of spreading misinformation.....

I did mention in the post that they had a sound management team and thats with regard to Tim Clarke and Maurice.......but sheikh Ahmed was the brother of the emir who turned Dubai around...and he is now the uncle of the ruler by virtue of his death....he literally started his career as the president of the Dept of Civil Aviation, which he still is performing....if that connection doesn't provide an advantage to an airline then there are very few things really will....but he is a good businessman and he has created a Goliath...which I wholeheartedly commend....but if you tell me that there isn't any support from the Dubai government which literally owns the majority of the airline...then you are seriously naive....

Some of the best managers in the world don't start with all the relevant experience or professional qualificiations.....but if you have a will.....intellect....bit of clout...applicable finance and a vision....good things happen...case in point...Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg.....maybe they aren't really aviation professionals....but they made a difference, everyone was different but they made old decisions at he right time...remember they are all dropouts but very successful.....and they literally started with nothing....no experience but a vision....

In the case of emirates....regardless of what tim Clarke thought up....if not for Sheikh Ahmed's power, close ties and the sovereign guarantee from his family which rules Dubai....emirates would have never happened....they do it well and I agree with that....but there is always support from the government in a myriad of ways.....it's not simply cut and dry as everyone wants to believe

Comment

Working...
                                X