This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by banuthev View Post

Here is another cut : Another Long-haul route to be cancelled from Winter 2016 : It's Paris.
    This will be India's gain.
    There is a gradual increase of NA passengers to Sri Lanka transiting via BOM (UA & LH), DEL (AC) and BLR. (LH)
    AC, LH and UA has unrestricted access to India.
    I will visiting CMB for week. My travel agent send me the ticket. but this time I was surprised onwards via LH is to BLR and return via BOM

I asked my travel agent why India...she says what about India...then I say what about the aircraft transit time etc...she say well your flight to BLR is 747-8 and your transit time is 2 hours...I reply sweet

CMB is expensive and now becoming a feeder airport.

This is what I see in my crystal ball

PAX to CMB
    Canadian passengers would move towards India
    North American passengers move towards India and ME hubs
    Europe already surrendered to ME hubs
    Africa ME hubs
    Australian/NZ PAX (to SIN)

Only thing left is China and Japan...not sure about China.
    Last edited by Speedbird; 22-05-2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ecureilx View Post
      Lower utilization ? oh ho.

Does MJ still fly to CGK ? And for the love of God, I have no clue why MJ is sort of brushed off the picture when UL and it's woes come up.

Does that mean MJ is operating profitably ?
      MJ has decreased the flights to CGK from Daily to four weekly and no longer MJ operates direct flights to MES. These days Indnesian carrier, Sriwijaya Air have started operating MES-CMB onboard B737s. MJ flights to SEZ will discontinue soon. I heard SL organisations are making loss in Seychelles.

If UL is expanding into regional market then why on earth the Gov keeping the MJ. MJ needs to shut asap. MJ creating additional burden for UL.

Comment

MJ has decreased the flights to CGK from Daily to four weekly and no longer MJ operates direct flights to MES. These days Indnesian carrier, Sriwijaya Air have started operating MES-CMB onboard B737s. MJ flights to SEZ will discontinue soon. I heard SL organisations are making loss in Seychelles.

If UL is expanding into regional market then why on earth the Gov keeping the MJ. MJ needs to shut asap. MJ creating additional burden for UL.
        I don't think the government wants to be unpopular in unemployming people? I think our laws are too employee friendly (and i may be wrong on this someone can't be fired without the company being bankrupt in the first place according to our laws?)

I have never seen any SL government doing any retrenchment, this might be tied to our archaic employment laws or just plain reluctance on part of the government to loose votes. I am not sure MJ is 'bankrupt' to be wound down?

Can someone familar with this comment?

Comment

• Originally posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
          I don't think the government wants to be unpopular in unemployming people? I think our laws are too employee friendly (and i may be wrong on this someone can't be fired without the company being bankrupt in the first place according to our laws?)

I have never seen any SL government doing any retrenchment, this might be tied to our archaic employment laws or just plain reluctance on part of the government to loose votes. I am not sure MJ is 'bankrupt' to be wound down?

Can someone familar with this comment?
          As if MJ employs 10,000 people .. If there is a will, there's a way.

Unless the plane leases of MJ are written with lot of penalty clause, common sense says merge the ops with UL and move into the same GDS inventory.

For employee termination, of course there is a cost, but which is worse ? operating a bleeding carrier or paying off staff and winding it down ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cayman View Post
            UL has a lower frame utilization rate compared to even similar mediocre airlines. However, I still think that they need something to fill in the gap between the A333 and the A321. It is simply too large a hole.

Is there a strong business case to continue FRA, now that CDG is going to be discontinued?

I always thought LHR was the only European destination they could operate profitably.
            I think UL should be operating its own metals to at least LHR & FRA in Europe. I think FRA gives better onward connnections to most of the European destinations. These days LHR doesn't give better connection to all European and even to all the UK domestic airports. LHR's capacity very much restricted. So its better for UL to have both LHR & FRA in the European network.

Comment

• Originally posted by ecureilx View Post
              As if MJ employs 10,000 people .. If there is a will, there's a way.

Unless the plane leases of MJ are written with lot of penalty clause, common sense says merge the ops with UL and move into the same GDS inventory.

For employee termination, of course there is a cost, but which is worse ? operating a bleeding carrier or paying off staff and winding it down ?
              Excellent...Just spot on

Comment

Today, UL183 flight to Karachi was diverted to Lahore for some unknown reason? But good to see UL flying Karachi with widebody (A332).
                Thanks banu, someone claims UL have been granted flights on the route CMB-LHE-KHI-CMB for ten days.

Comment

I think UL should be operating its own metals to at least LHR & FRA in Europe. I think FRA gives better onward connnections to most of the European destinations. These days LHR doesn't give better connection to all European and even to all the UK domestic airports. LHR's capacity very much restricted. So its better for UL to have both LHR & FRA in the European network.
                  banuthev; I agree with you. I think due to wrong approach for the turn around and with a knee jerk reactions UL has surrendered all European destination to other carriers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                    banuthev; I agree with you. I think due to wrong approach for the turn around and with a knee jerk reactions UL has surrendered all European destination to other carriers.
                    Exactly The cuts in the network and fleet are being done without any consideration given to how the airline can be competitive in the long term.

It is strange that UL is experiencing so many rapid changes but MJ appears to be virtually untouched.
                    Last edited by TheF15Ace; 24-05-2016, 01:13 AM.

Comment

• Hey guys, any idea why yesterday (23rd) CMB-MLE UL109 was canceled ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sandaru View Post
                        Hey guys, any idea why yesterday (23rd) CMB-MLE UL109 was canceled ?
                        It was cancelled twice within three days. 21st of May also shows a cancellation.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheF15Ace View Post
                          Exactly The cuts in the network and fleet are being done without any consideration given to how the airline can be competitive in the long term.
                          It's quite simple:-

No money = no choices.

This is what happens when nobody wants to make decisions. Eventually the decisions are made for them.

Corruption + Incompetence has destroyed this Airline.
                          Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post

Not only the airline also the country and the financial situation of the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post
                              It's quite simple:-

No money = no choices.

This is what happens when nobody wants to make decisions. Eventually the decisions are made for them.

SriLankan Airlines Cabin Crew To Commence Industrial Action, Villifies Chairman Ajit Dias And CEO Ratwatte.

According to this news UL flights to Paris & Frankfurt are going to be cancelled.

Comment

• MSN052 A350-941 F-WZFA 4R- SriLankan Airlines 2017-02

MSN055 A350-941 F-WZFI 4R- SriLankan Airlines 2017-03

MSN060 A350-941 F-WZFK 4R- SriLankan Airlines

Comment

Working...
                                X