This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lordvader View Post
    These guys should sell Mihin off along with the Hilton, Mobitel and other non strategic assets they are planning to flog off. I don't think Mihin is of strategic importance to SL although SriLankan arguably is. Plus it will encourage competition.
    Yes they should sell the whole lot including UL...But I am not sure if they can find a buyer for the 2 airlines....They should decouple AASL specially CMB, RML, JAF and HRI. government should not be doing any business...let the private industry manage it (like the telecom industry). If they did not decouple and sell off AASL; Sri Lanka is in danger of powerful unions holding the whole airline industry hostage...it has happened few months backs...already due to union demands CMB is the most expensive airport in South Asia for landing and take offs.

Comment

• Originally posted by edthenna View Post
      I will not get carried away by what these opportunist politicians say.
      I believe my previous explanation was sufficient to understand the cause for present predicament SriLankan has faced.
      Believe me nothing much will happen in SriLankan in spite of all these rosy talks. I know how this company works. Unfortunately it lacks real go-getters in its top management. Their focus is not align with the business plan of a crisis ridden establishment. There is no sense of urgency within the top management circle to get out of this consistent loss of public money.
      There will be two scenarios I can predict with confidence now.
      1. Next Budget Finance Minister will say that SriLankan has further reduced their losses and on the way to better manage the finances (naturally with shrinking network the cost will go down and the losses will trim down, but accumulated loss will further increase)
      2. After 5 years in to their new business plan there will be a new government and SriLankan management will present the next batch of political jokers with a new business plan for next five years for recovery.
      Yes your prediction are fairly accurate...My only question is...even for the present government or for the future government...how long can they go on borrowing money

Comment

• Originally posted by dilushasg-bdavi View Post
        hahahaha.....y'all voted for a change......the only thing that changed are the thieves. I love this political circus.
        So the army of relatives and their army of friends is better?

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
          Yes they should sell the whole lot including UL...But I am not sure if they can find a buyer for the 2 airlines....They should decouple AASL specially CMB, RML, JAF and HRI. government should not be doing any business...let the private industry manage it (like the telecom industry). If they did not decouple and sell off AASL; Sri Lanka is in danger of powerful unions holding the whole airline industry hostage...it has happened few months backs...already due to union demands CMB is the most expensive airport in South Asia for landing and take offs.
          Govt is planning on selling them in the CSE. So they aren't searching for buyers but offering them for everyone. The same thing can be done for Mihin but selling an airline will not go well with our patriotic population

Comment

• Here's an article that gives some insight into the state of the Sri Lankan economy.

In simple terms the GOSL will run out of money next year - and they have huge debts/loans that they have no way of ever repaying.

There are some documentaries on YouTube detailing the financial collapse in Argentina and Greece - worth watching to give you an idea what is coming.

As for selling UL:-

There is so much debt that this is impossible. Also there are huge future financial obligations associated with the new aircraft deal - no idea where this money will come from.

The Airline is riddled with corruption and incompetence from top to bottom - nobody is prepared to do anything about it.

There is also no conceivable way that this will ever make money - cutting routes will reduce the losses but that's all.

Nobody is stupid enough to buy this - I doubt it could even be sold for Rs 1!

Any talk of selling is just that - talk imho.

As for listing this on the CSE

I don't know how the CSE works but on the stock exchanges I'm familiar with a company has to show 3 consecutive years of profits before they can have an IPO.

The Weliamuna Commission report clearly states that UL is insolvent - it operates only because the GOSL keeps giving them money.

Can't see this ever happening - more talk.

The real tragedy is that this could all have been avoided.
            Last edited by ejanson65; 29-11-2015, 07:15 AM.
            Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

• Originally posted by ejanson65 View Post
              Here's an article that gives some insight into the state of the Sri Lankan economy.

In simple terms the GOSL will run out of money next year - and they have huge debts/loans that they have no way of ever repaying.

There are some documentaries on YouTube detailing the financial collapse in Argentina and Greece - worth watching to give you an idea what is coming.

As for selling UL:-

There is so much debt that this is impossible. Also there are huge future financial obligations associated with the new aircraft deal - no idea where this money will come from.

The Airline is riddled with corruption and incompetence from top to bottom - nobody is prepared to do anything about it.

There is also no conceivable way that this will ever make money - cutting routes will reduce the losses but that's all.

Nobody is stupid enough to buy this - I doubt it could even be sold for Rs 1!

Any talk of selling is just that - talk imho.

As for listing this on the CSE

I don't know how the CSE works but on the stock exchanges I'm familiar with a company has to show 3 consecutive years of profits before they can have an IPO.

The Weliamuna Commission report clearly states that UL is insolvent - it operates only because the GOSL keeps giving them money.

Can't see this ever happening - more talk.

The real tragedy is that this could all have been avoided.
              The tragedy can be avoided because we avoided it back in the early 2000s. The same can be done now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Godofpower View Post
                The tragedy can be avoided because we avoided it back in the early 2000s. The same can be done now.
                The difference is in 2000s UL did have a $billion debt

Comment

The difference is in 2000s UL did have a $billion debt
                  We have far too labor friendly laws in SL, MJ is still being retained.... Part of UL restructuring needs to have some serious blood letting..... there is way too much resources in UL (5000 per aircraft????). MJ just needs to be terminated.

All we see is a plan to integrate MJ to UL (of which nothing has come about now). Letting staff go is a concept that government entities in SL haven't heard of... or just too unpopular with the voters....

Comment

Well I am not sure who you are referring y'all...but sure I did not vote for any of them...so did you vote for the previous Ali Baba

oh please Ali baba is his darling. LOL.

Comment

hahahaha.....y'all voted for a change......the only thing that changed are the thieves. I love this political circus.
                      Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                      Well I am not sure who you are referring y'all...but sure I did not vote for any of them...so did you vote for the previous Ali Baba
                      Originally posted by Godofpower View Post
                      Originally posted by Srilankan1 View Post
                      Dear All,

I have deleted some posts which gives un-neccesary arguments between members of the forum.

"Comment on content, not on the contributor. Personal attacks do not help make a point; they only hurt the Air Sri Lanka community and discouraging users from helping to create a good forum..."

Thank you
                      Last edited by Moderator; 30-11-2015, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Come on Banuthev don't be so serious. We are not children here all should know what means "Humour" .

This is second time this has happened to one my posts for no reason. I hope this will not continue from your side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Godofpower View Post
                          Here's another article that disagrees.

Forgets to mention the commissions associated with these deals. Some people have walked away with tens of millions $$$$.
                          Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find this business

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                            Originally posted by Godofpower View Post
                            Originally posted by Srilankan1 View Post
                            Guys,

I would like to know from our all members if the above (quoted) posts needs to be deleted from this forum.

Thank you,

Comment

• I vote "Yes"... Toooo much politics guys !! It went beyond the limit. We don't need that kind of useless things in a valuable place like this forum.

Comment

• Oman Air seeks partnership with Srilankan Airlines

Oman Air is keen on a partnership with SriLankan Airlines with which it now has a code share arrangement, Chief Officer Sales of Oman Air Mahfood Ali Saleem Al Harthy said.

Oman Air was today working with Srilankan Airlines, with the two carriers complementing each other and offering customers a wider choice, he said at a news conference.

The two carriers were having talks on a partnership, he said without giving details.

“Oman Air’s growth depends on building partnerships with airlines,” Al Harthy told Economynext.com.

“We believe our growth depends on building alliances,” Al Harthy said. “We’d like to work with SriLankan Airlines.” (Colombo/November 30 2015)

Comment

Working...
                                X