Clear All

• Railways to extend services from BIA

Comment

• Lankan outbound traffic on the rise

Comment

• Sea plane landing strip near Sri Lanka's international airport

Comment

• Originally posted by Serendib View Post

Cathy Pacific Country Manager Sri Lanka and the Maldives, Andrew Pattison said that they are very keenly following the development of Sri Lanka’s second airport currently being built in Mattala. “We will be looking at the opportunities in it in the future,” he said.
          No offence but I doubt that Cathay would fly to Mattala. If at all it may be operated by its subsidiary Dragonair. Same with SQ and Silkair, if at all. The Country Manager is merely stating that he is keenly following the airport's development.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordvader View Post
            No offence but I doubt that Cathay would fly to Mattala. If at all it may be operated by its subsidiary Dragonair. Same with SQ and Silkair, if at all. The Country Manager is merely stating that he is keenly following the airport's development.
            or rather, he is commenting when asked for comments

I don't see Dragonair ever flying down ..

BTW, did anybody know why CX sticks to Sri Lankan market ? The answer is a bit non-rocket science .. a bit to do with the loads, but more to do with adjusting the SIN-HKG sector.

The SIN-CMB leg helps fit their onward to HKG, for the SIN-HKG Pax, and that SIN don't care about 3rd Freedom rights only make it so attractive for them to offer the cheapest fares .. Ex-SIN - to CMB

Comment

• Originally posted by Serendib View Post
              Sea plane landing strip near Sri Lanka's international airport
              Why wouldn't they pick up amphibians like the C-208 ? or even newer Twotters that have wheels below the floats..

And that will mean, they can have a shorter landing strip parallel to the Main Runway and fly the pax straight off the Main Terminal ??

Comment

• Originally posted by ecureilx View Post
                Why wouldn't they pick up amphibians like the C-208 ? or even newer Twotters that have wheels below the floats..

And that will mean, they can have a shorter landing strip parallel to the Main Runway and fly the pax straight off the Main Terminal ??
                A question that I have pondered many times. Not C208s, but amphibian Twin Otters. UL used to fly the DHC3s even on CMB-JAF when they had them a few years back. However I believe this is something to do with the wet lease, which could be cheaper to operate. Forget not, even at the incarnation of Air Taxi they first wet leased a C208 prior to acquiring their own frames.
                Last edited by Kflyer; 18-07-2011, 04:53 AM.
                The opinions above are solely my own and do not reflect those of my employer or clients

Comment

• Originally posted by Kflyer View Post
                  A question that I have pondered many times. Not C208s, but amphibian Twin Otters. UL used to fly the DHC3s even on CMB-JAF when they had them a few years back. However I believe this is something to do with the wet lease, which could be cheaper to operate. Forget not, even at the incarnation of Air Taxi they first wet leased a C208 prior to acquiring their own frames.
                  The issue is with wheels, the amphibians need careful handling

Somewhere else, I saw a near head-over-tail of a C-180, when the pilot nosed it a bit too much .. and that was when the C-180 was landing on Tarmac .. later I was told, in Canada, it is norm for the Float Planes to take off in the back of pickup-trucks .. not something i would want to be part of anyway ..

Yah, the whole business is on Wet Lease .. and the cheaper older frames don't have amphi-floats I guess ...

Comment

The issue is with wheels, the amphibians need careful handling

Somewhere else, I saw a near head-over-tail of a C-180, when the pilot nosed it a bit too much .. and that was when the C-180 was landing on Tarmac .. later I was told, in Canada, it is norm for the Float Planes to take off in the back of pickup-trucks .. not something i would want to be part of anyway ..

Yah, the whole business is on Wet Lease .. and the cheaper older frames don't have amphi-floats I guess ...
                    DHC6-400s by Viking support the amphibian floats. I'm not sure about the -300s.
                    UL operated DHC3s as the amphibians few years back, which are older than the DHC6s.
                    The opinions above are solely my own and do not reflect those of my employer or clients

Comment

Thought Biman picked up ..

and the stored T7s are non-ER ..

and last I read Biman has no $ to get new build ..
                      This was not true. biman get record pax this year and it got huge $ from hajj session.

BTW,Biman will took delivery of first 77w in October this year.

Comment

• SriLankan should seriously consider finalizing their widebody refleeting deals asap. Or at least get an assurance from the manufacturers for near term slots. The AF/KL&LH deals will considerably push further available slots for 330 and 350/787 (now at 2014 and around 2019 already ).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kflyer View Post
                          SriLankan should seriously consider finalizing their widebody refleeting deals asap. Or at least get an assurance from the manufacturers for near term slots. The AF/KL&LH deals will considerably push further available slots for 330 and 350/787 (now at 2014 and around 2019 already ).
                          Agreed with you there. Even Biman seems to have ordered 777 and 787s which are new builds and are fully financed (contrary to some claims). Did the ex CEO of UL mention anything about it when he contacted you?

Comment

• lordvader, they had very good plans. But I cannot reveal, sorry. And I'm not sure if UL is still going ahead with those plans.

Comment

• Airstrip in Kilinochchi

Comment

• THE PHILIPPINES and Sri Lanka have agreed to increase the number of allowed flights between their capitals, with the latter granted unlimited air service rights to international airports outside Metro Manila besides, Civil Aeronautics Board Executive Director Carmelo L. Arcilla told reporters via text on Tuesday.

This latest pact made Sri Lanka the second country after Malaysia to benefit from the “pocket open skies” policy adopted by the Aquino administration last March.

Mr. Arcilla said both parties agreed to double entitlements to four flights a week on the Manila-Colombo route.

Comment

Working...
                                X